Need a board recommendation for Mobile XP Chip

Old March 11th 05, 02:17 PM
Dave

"J B" wrote in message
news:hpcYd.19416$i6.16627@edtnps90...
The NF7-S v2.0 lets you adjust vcore by 0.025V increments from 1.1V to
1.8 or 1.9V (can't recall off the top of my head the upper limit).

Up to about 2.3V for the CPU core. The max for RAM is 2.8V but the board
over volts the VDimm a bit so with the 2.8V setting it is very close to
2.9V.

Can
run RAM in single or dual channel configuration. The board comes with a
back panel slot with 2xUSB2.0 and 2xFirewire (1 firewire A and 1
firewire B (mini)). Abit even left an empty slot below the AGP slot so
that you don't waste a PCI slot below your video card (where you
shouldn't put a PCI device anyways). You'll need your own video card
though since there's no onboard video... has onboard LAN, SPDIF (optical
audio)

Also has the option of hooking up RCA cables for S/PDIF digital sound in and
out.

Out, 6.1 channel analog audio out, etc... Seems to be one of the
boards of choice for overclockers... I'll be assembling my system again
on Thursday after getting my XP-M chip back from AMD on an RMA (I
haven't even used it yet; bought it 2nd hand and it was bust).... I'll
let you know how it goes if you'd like some firsthand info...

There are a number of hacked BIOS out for extreme overclockers. Quite a few
manage to get the FSB above 250MHz if some sites are to be believed.

One of the best socket A boards.

Dave

Old March 11th 05, 06:43 PM
Paul Busby

Thus spake cowboy:
"Peter Harrington" wrote in message
I am looking for some recommentations for AMD XP-M boards. Need an
adjustable multiplier. Also, the low-end power supply does not have
an auxillary +12 V line, so I would like to find a board with a LAN,
but does not require the extra line of juice.

Will moderately overclock with a 166 MHz FSB.

TIA,

Pete

ASUS A7N8X-E with a Zalman CNPS7000B-Cu cooler is AS GOOD AS IT GETS
in the overclocking and reliability worlds

cheers!

cowboy
inventor of overclocking, 1984

This board lacks something that renders it a good choice: a NB fan! I'm
o/c'ing my XP-M2500+ @ 2100MHz, 170MHz 1:1 with Crucial 2x256 PC2100(!)
without drama (PCI/AGP locked to defaults). I'll upgrade to LL PC3200 RAM
for the final fling soon. The only downside is this board only supports up
12.5x without mods. It's Sound Storm on-board audio is better than many PCI
cards in many people's opinion but that's common to all similar nF2 boards.
Well regarded tweaked bios' are also available for this m/b & similar Asus
ones.

The NF7-S v2 is also an excellent choice - pity that most variants have
those horrid & noisy little NB fans.
--
Hear the music - not the computer

Old March 11th 05, 06:50 PM
Paul Busby

Thus spake cowboy:
ASUS A7N8X-E with a Zalman CNPS7000B-Cu cooler is AS GOOD AS IT GETS

& as heavy as it gets as well (well, almost)! At least it bolts onto the
m/b, unlike my 6000Cu that's 2/3 the weight. Must get a quieter fan for it
before considering a replacement.

--
Thank people in advance? Thanking or cursing them afterwards at least
gives some feedback!

Old March 12th 05, 02:12 AM
Peter Harrington

Thanks everyone of the input. I am going to go with a DFI "NF2 U400 S-AL"
NVIDIA nForce2 Ultra400 Chipset Motherboard For AMD Socket A CPU. I am
currently running two Ultra Infinities. The appealing part of the DFI MoBos
are that they support Multipliers beyond 12.5x.

Because the RAM is 166 MHz, we would probably like to go beyond 12.5.

Thanks again everyone for all the help,

Best wishes,

Pete