Single Sided 512MB DDR

Old March 10th 05, 01:45 AM
Wilf Brim

Default Single Sided 512MB DDR

I'm considering buying an Asus K8V-X motherboard for an 2800+ CPU. The
memory configurations listed in the users manual for this board state
that memory will only run at 400 Mhz when all the memory sticks are
single sided. But, the qualified vendor list doesn't list any qualified
single sided 512 MB sticks.

Is anyobdy running this board with 512MB single sided memory? If so,
what brand and part number? I'm considering the Kingston
KVR400X64C3AK2/512 and would like to know if this is going to run at 400
Mhz before I sink the coin into this.

Thx
-K2
Old March 10th 05, 04:33 AM
Mike

"Wilf Brim" wrote in message
I'm considering buying an Asus K8V-X motherboard for an 2800+ CPU. The
memory configurations listed in the users manual for this board state that
memory will only run at 400 Mhz when all the memory sticks are single
sided. But, the qualified vendor list doesn't list any qualified single
sided 512 MB sticks.

Is anyobdy running this board with 512MB single sided memory? If so, what
brand and part number? I'm considering the Kingston KVR400X64C3AK2/512
and would like to know if this is going to run at 400 Mhz before I sink
the coin into this.

Thx
-K2

you planning on filling all the banks?

Old March 10th 05, 07:46 AM
Wes Newell

On Wed, 09 Mar 2005 20:45:12 -0500, Wilf Brim wrote:

I'm considering buying an Asus K8V-X motherboard for an 2800+ CPU. The

If you plan on ovreclcoking that 2800+, then don't buy this board. I don't
think it has a PCI lock and you're going to need a FSB of at least 266MHz
to get close to the full potential of that cpu.

memory configurations listed in the users manual for this board state
that memory will only run at 400 Mhz when all the memory sticks are
single sided. But, the qualified vendor list doesn't list any qualified
single sided 512 MB sticks.

I guess they assume you can find them yourself. they've told you what you
need. Do you expect them to list probably 500 different sticks of ram,
with new ones coming out all the time.

Is anyobdy running this board with 512MB single sided memory? If so,
what brand and part number? I'm considering the Kingston
KVR400X64C3AK2/512 and would like to know if this is going to run at 400
Mhz before I sink the coin into this.

Why not ask the vendor if they are single sided? Aor find the data sheets
for the module. I haven't got time to look for you.

Old March 10th 05, 09:38 PM
Rag-man

I happen to own the other K8V-X mobo :-)
double sided are 64 x 64
single sided 128 x 64...
Therefore at present easier and cheaper to
manufactuer double sided...
Anyone put me right?

When bought it had a stick of 512MB VDATA
Ok is was set up using the default auto settings @ 200MHz
I then got 2X 512MB Ballistix PC3200 (I've used Crucial
for many years). Without much effort memory at 2.8v,
220MHz bus.and still 2-2-2-8
CPU 3200 (2.2GHz STD) now at 2.42GHZ
Moral is get good RAM in first place
Rag-Man

Old March 11th 05, 01:30 AM
Wilf Brim

Wes Newell wrote:
On Wed, 09 Mar 2005 20:45:12 -0500, Wilf Brim wrote:

I'm considering buying an Asus K8V-X motherboard for an 2800+ CPU. The

If you plan on ovreclcoking that 2800+, then don't buy this board. I don't
think it has a PCI lock and you're going to need a FSB of at least 266MHz
to get close to the full potential of that cpu.

No plans to overclock

memory configurations listed in the users manual for this board state
that memory will only run at 400 Mhz when all the memory sticks are
single sided. But, the qualified vendor list doesn't list any qualified
single sided 512 MB sticks.

I guess they assume you can find them yourself. they've told you what you
need. Do you expect them to list probably 500 different sticks of ram,
with new ones coming out all the time.

As a matter of fact, I can find them myself - and I did, though that
fact appears to surprise you. But if there not going to list all of the
"probably 500 different sticks of RAM" that are qualified for this
board, why bother at all? Why not list some (or any for that matter )
performance specifications that prospective DIMMS must meet and be done
with it?

Is anyobdy running this board with 512MB single sided memory? If so,
what brand and part number? I'm considering the Kingston
KVR400X64C3AK2/512 and would like to know if this is going to run at 400
Mhz before I sink the coin into this.

Why not ask the vendor if they are single sided? Aor find the data sheets
for the module. I haven't got time to look for you.

I'm not asking you to look for me. I've looked, I KNOW the DIMMS with
"..AK2" are single sided. I'm asking if anyone is running this board
with any 512 MB single sided DIMMS.

Thanks for nothing . . . I guess it is true what they say about you.
Old March 11th 05, 01:32 AM
Wilf Brim

Mike wrote:
"Wilf Brim" wrote in message

I'm considering buying an Asus K8V-X motherboard for an 2800+ CPU. The
memory configurations listed in the users manual for this board state that
memory will only run at 400 Mhz when all the memory sticks are single
sided. But, the qualified vendor list doesn't list any qualified single
sided 512 MB sticks.

Is anyobdy running this board with 512MB single sided memory? If so, what
brand and part number? I'm considering the Kingston KVR400X64C3AK2/512
and would like to know if this is going to run at 400 Mhz before I sink
the coin into this.

Thx
-K2

you planning on filling all the banks?

I plan on filling the first two of three banks with identical 512 MB
sticks - double or single sided TBD.

Thx
-K2
Old March 11th 05, 05:20 AM
Mike

As a matter of fact, I can find them myself - and I did, though that fact
appears to surprise you. But if there not going to list all of the
"probably 500 different sticks of RAM" that are qualified for this board,
why bother at all? Why not list some (or any for that matter )
performance specifications that prospective DIMMS must meet and be done
with it?

So that if you ask for support in regards to a chip that doesn't work, they
can point to this list and tell you to get one of these

Old March 11th 05, 08:24 AM
Wes Newell

On Thu, 10 Mar 2005 20:30:13 -0500, Wilf Brim wrote:

I guess it is true what they say about you.

Depending on who "they" are, it's probably correct. One thing I can say
though. most that follow my advice learn something, even if it's nothing
more than how to use a search engine. I don't recall your name in the
group before and checking back this confirms your first thread. So what
have you contributed and what does that say about you?

Old March 11th 05, 08:26 AM
Wes Newell

On Fri, 11 Mar 2005 08:24:10 +0000, Wes Newell wrote:

On Thu, 10 Mar 2005 20:30:13 -0500, Wilf Brim wrote:

I guess it is true what they say about you.

Depending on who "they" are, it's probably correct. One thing I can say
though. most that follow my advice learn something, even if it's nothing
more than how to use a search engine. I don't recall your name in the
group before and checking back this confirms your first thread. So what
have you contributed and what does that say about you?

Sorry guys. Didn't notice this was crossposted in here too.

Ram: more vs. speed? MustKillMoe-Wheee! Homebuilt PC's 36 November 9th 04 10:32 AM
A7V333 memory Roy Asus Motherboards 4 August 7th 04 02:15 PM
Problems mixing dual and single sided DIMMS ?? zack Asus Motherboards 5 October 23rd 03 06:19 AM
ASUS P2B-F Motherboard and single sided 256mb RAM-? dmc Asus Motherboards 0 July 23rd 03 02:37 AM
single - double sided DDR ram question mr_chips Homebuilt PC's 5 June 27th 03 07:15 AM