Problem with monitor refresh rate

Old December 19th 04, 04:42 AM
medgirl

Default Problem with monitor refresh rate

I recently got a new computer (Dell 8400) with a 256 MB nVidia GeForce 6800
video card. The monitor is the Dell M993s 19" CRT. I find that I can not
use any refresh rate above 60 Hz. If I set it higher, I have an
unacceptable amount of wobbling in the picture. I have tried numerous
combinations of resolutions, color settings, and refresh rates, all with the
same result. I updated the monitor drivers and am using the latest video
card drivers from the nVidia web site (driver 6.6.9.3). Dell even sent me
another monitor, with the same result. Any ideas? It seems that there is
no reason I should not be able to use a higher refresh rate. The default
monitor setting in the monitor documentation is 75 Hz.

Old December 19th 04, 05:01 AM
Michael C

"medgirl" wrote in message
I recently got a new computer (Dell 8400) with a 256 MB nVidia GeForce 6800
video card. The monitor is the Dell M993s 19" CRT. I find that I can not
use any refresh rate above 60 Hz. If I set it higher, I have an
unacceptable amount of wobbling in the picture. I have tried numerous
combinations of resolutions, color settings, and refresh rates, all with
the same result. I updated the monitor drivers and am using the latest
video card drivers from the nVidia web site (driver 6.6.9.3). Dell even
sent me
another monitor, with the same result. Any ideas? It seems that there is
no reason I should not be able to use a higher refresh rate. The default
monitor setting in the monitor documentation is 75 Hz.

Sounds like a fault video card. If it's all new get dell to fix it.

Michael

Old December 19th 04, 06:16 PM
medgirl

"medgirl" wrote in message
I recently got a new computer (Dell 8400) with a 256 MB nVidia GeForce 6800
video card. The monitor is the Dell M993s 19" CRT. I find that I can not
use any refresh rate above 60 Hz. If I set it higher, I have an
unacceptable amount of wobbling in the picture. I have tried numerous
combinations of resolutions, color settings, and refresh rates, all with
the same result. I updated the monitor drivers and am using the latest
video card drivers from the nVidia web site (driver 6.6.9.3). Dell even
sent me
another monitor, with the same result. Any ideas? It seems that there is
no reason I should not be able to use a higher refresh rate. The default
monitor setting in the monitor documentation is 75 Hz.

All right - I've identified the problem at last, but I would appreciate any
suggestions as to how to solve it. I finally moved the monitor, computer,
mouse, keyboard, and surge protector to another room, where everything
worked perfectly (I should have tried this to start with). Then we tried
hooking the computer up with an extension cord to the same plug we had been
using before and, again, everything worked perfectly at all refresh rates.
Incidentally, the image is much nicer at refresh rates of about 75 Hz or
higher. I can definitely tell a difference in comparison to the 60 Hz,
though, honestly, I can't distinguish much difference at 75 Hz. Anyway,
the problem is clearly something about the location of the computer, but
it's a daunting task to try to imagine what specifically is doing this. Any
ideas as to the most likely culprits? Is there any way to shield the
monitor from other frequencies?

Old December 19th 04, 06:51 PM
kony

On Sun, 19 Dec 2004 13:16:53 -0500, "medgirl"
wrote:

"medgirl" wrote in message
[...]

Potentially EMI near the monitor... you can start by
unplugging everything in the immediate vicinity except the
system itself and the monitor. That includes speaker and
other power supply bricks. Also move speakers several feet
away. If you suspect anything in or behind a wall, move
monitor as far towards front of desk as possible and note
whether it makes a difference.

If you had a compass handy you could also put that in the
vicinity of the monitor (keeping monitor turned off) and see
if it shows anything.

Help needed with unidentified problem ^MisterJingo^ General 3 November 23rd 04 05:45 AM
Unusual DVD-rom problem Sizif General 0 July 7th 04 03:25 PM
This problem has baffled everyone... Nick G General 46 May 22nd 04 04:01 AM
Problem with freezing mouse, Windows Explorer Jon Davis General 3 April 3rd 04 04:06 AM
Freezing, lock up, unresponsive problem. James General 5 September 5th 03 02:54 PM