HELP - WANTED - pointers to a importer of tall ATX case needed

Old June 19th 04, 12:06 AM
Mike

Default HELP - WANTED - pointers to a importer of tall ATX case needed

I can't be the only one with this requirement....

Does anybody know of a manufacturer that makes a
large ATX case with LOTS of external drive bays?

I ned to mount:

3.5" floppy drive

Zip drive (this can sit in a 3.5 bay)

5.25" streamer tape
5.25 DLT tape (full height SCSI internal)
5.25" DAT tape (half height SCSI internal)
CDRW drive
DVD-RW drive
Jaz drive
Audio panel (Creative Live)
9-in-1 memory card reader (uses an internal USB port)
IDE drive tray

Internally I'd like to be able to mount four
3.5" hard drives.

As you can see, I need at least seven 5.25" external bays
if I put the DLT in the external case, or nne if I mount
it internally. Plus four internal bays plus a couple of
fans with outide air filters to keep all this stuff cool.

I'm one of those guys that runs three large fans at slow
speed rather than one large fan at a hurricane roar.

Every computer store within an hour of me has lots of cases
with four external drive bays, and two had a very flimsy
case with five bays and one had a $450 case with six - but
I didn't need redundant 500w power supplies and a built-in
UPS.

I've got a floor space next to my desk that is 20" deep and
12" wide to put it in, and I have 28" of vertical space so
a deep and wide case is not a problem.

I'd love it to have a USB / Firewire panel and a front
mounted power and reset button at the top.

I'm getting ready to make my own case by using a sawzall
on an old 4-bay ATX case (to get the card slot area sheet
metal) and build the rest out of masonite and 1" by 1"
square fiberglass stock.

On a related topic...
There used to be a case distributor in the San Gabriel area
of Los Angeles... anybody know who they were and if they
still exist?

Mike
Old June 19th 04, 12:26 AM
Tom W

Have you looked at www.newegg.com ?
They should have what you're looking for

om...

Old June 19th 04, 12:41 AM
Pen

"Mike" wrote in message
om...
[...]

http://us.enlightcorp.com/
http://www.antec.com/us/pro_enclosures.html
Antec is your best bet, but 11 is not a good number. 10
seems to be what people sell for Tower/Server cases.
http://www.amtrade.com/computer/atx_...enclosures.htm

unless you want to spend serious money.
http://www.amtrade.com/computer/cases.htm#8
There's a $200 jump from 10 to 12 drive bays.

Old June 19th 04, 05:54 AM
ric

http://www.calpc.com/catalog/full_tower.html
Old June 19th 04, 06:24 AM
Justice Gustine

CoolerMaster Stacker

http://www.coolermaster.com/special_...01/stc-t01.htm

I like this one - may buy it and put the PC back up on the table . . .

--
"A Sound Mind. A Healthy Body. Pick One" Mr. Hedge
Old June 19th 04, 09:22 AM
Wes Newell

On Fri, 18 Jun 2004 16:06:28 -0700, Mike wrote:

Does anybody know of a manufacturer that makes a
large ATX case with LOTS of external drive bays?

This one has 12x5.25 (1 hidden) and 3x3.5 (1 hidden). You should be able
to get everything in it.

http://www.openlinx.com/english/prod...roduct_id=2520

Old June 19th 04, 11:31 PM
Toshi1873

In article ,
says...
CoolerMaster Stacker

http://www.coolermaster.com/special_...01/stc-t01.htm

I like this one - may buy it and put the PC back up on the table . . .

That's impressive... I like the (3) 120mm fans blowing
directly across the drive bays. I could see hooking up
one of those 8-port 3ware cards inside that beast.