ATI 9700 pro v 9800 np

Old October 4th 03, 06:37 PM
John Smith

Default ATI 9700 pro v 9800 np

Any ideas which one would be better in the long run?

The 9700 pro has faster memory on it but would the core of
the 9800 overclock higher to make up for the slightly slower mem?

Unless I win the lottery in which case a 9800 pro would do me

ta for any inf

Smiffy

Old October 4th 03, 10:02 PM
Too_Much_Coffee ®

"John Smith" wrote in message
Any ideas which one would be better in the long run?

The 9700 pro has faster memory on it but would the core of
the 9800 overclock higher to make up for the slightly slower mem?

Unless I win the lottery in which case a 9800 pro would do me

According to ATI, the 9600XT will out perform the 9700 Pro:

From the AnandTech site:
"ATI is also announcing the Radeon 9600 XT; a much more exciting derivative
of the Radeon 9600 Pro based on a low-k dielectric 0.13-micron process. The
benefits of a low-k dielectric are mainly related to shielding from
crosstalk in high transistor density chips; the benefit of a low-k process
is mainly the ability to scale up clock speeds, which is why you will see
that ATI is able to clock the 9600 XT at 500MHz. According to ATI, the
Radeon 9600 XT should be the first mainstream part to outperform the Radeon
9700 Pro in all situations – not bad for a $199 card."

Wait until the 9600XT is tested and then compare the scores. The 9600XT
should be cheaper than either the 9700 Pro or the 9800.

Too_Much_Coffee ®

---
Got GigaNews?
http://www.giganews.com/customer/gn26215

ta for any inf

Smiffy

Old October 4th 03, 11:43 PM
DaveW

The 9700 is NOT DX9 compatible, so if you want to play the newer games like
Half Life 2 I'd get the 9800 np.

--
DaveW

Old October 5th 03, 02:00 AM
J.Clarke

On Sat, 04 Oct 2003 22:43:29 GMT
"DaveW" wrote:

The 9700 is NOT DX9 compatible, so if you want to play the newer games
like Half Life 2 I'd get the 9800 np.

What ever gave you _that_ idea?

--John
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)
Old October 5th 03, 02:14 AM
Ed Forsythe

So is the 9500 Pro :-0
--
Happy Flying,
Ed
"Todd Howard" wrote in message
The 9700 is DX 9 compatible.....
TH

. net...

Old October 5th 03, 05:20 AM
Todd Howard

Yep that is what I am running...
TH
"Ed Forsythe" wrote in message ...
So is the 9500 Pro :-0
--
Happy Flying,
Ed
"Todd Howard" wrote in message
The 9700 is DX 9 compatible.....
TH

. net...

Old October 5th 03, 07:35 AM
John Smith

Thanks for the advice guys
Will hang on and see how much a 9600XT costs
Smiffy

Old October 5th 03, 09:16 PM
Ed Forsythe

I think that's a good move John. The 0.13 micron core may prove to make the
9600XT an o'clocker's dream. Maybe some of the pros here could explain why
ATI chose to intro the 0.13 core on the 9600 instead of the 9800XT??
--
Happy Flying,
Ed