Newbie - Best Capture Settings?

Old July 13th 03, 08:43 PM
T-nospam-D

Default Newbie - Best Capture Settings?

I'm trying to convert Hi-8 video to DVD and have grown disappointed so far
with the results that I'm receiving when i author to DVD.

Here's my configuration
P4 2 ghz, ATI AIW 8500 card
I use Virtual Dub to capture the video
Tmpgenc to convert avi-mpg
and DVD Movie Factory to create the dvds

When I capture at 720*480, the fast-moving scenes (such as my son playing
soccer) are very "jaggy"
This is with and without using Huffyuv 2.1.1 compression - i'm not using
other compression schemes - and with viewing the AVI itself - not even
looking at what Tmpgenc does with the video

When I capture at 320*240, the "jaggieness" disappears but the images are
softer - in the AVI

So, to improve the quality of the video capture
1. Is the card the problem?
2. If not the card, what would be the best video capture settings to use?

Thanks

Old July 14th 03, 04:40 PM
erratic

On Sun, 13 Jul 2003 15:43:47 -0400, "T-nospam-D"
wrote:

When I capture at 720*480, the fast-moving scenes (such as my son playing
soccer) are very "jaggy"
This is with and without using Huffyuv 2.1.1 compression - i'm not using
other compression schemes - and with viewing the AVI itself - not even
looking at what Tmpgenc does with the video

That's how interlaced video looks on a monitor. Don't worry about it,
you won't see those jaggies on your TV.
http://nickyguides.digital-digest.com/interlace.htm
http://www.inwards.com/~dbb/interlace_myths.html

When I capture at 320*240, the "jaggieness" disappears but the images are
softer - in the AVI

That's because 320x240 is not interlaced. But keep the high resolution.
Use TMPGEnc's project wizard to encode the AVI to DVD MPEG-2 format. It
should look fine on your TV.
Old July 18th 03, 05:22 PM
erratic

On Fri, 18 Jul 2003 11:28:05 -0400, "T-nospam-D"
wrote:

Thanks for the reply
I used Vdub to capture the avi
- now the question is about interlacing
i could use the filter/deinterlace setting in vdub - when i do this, the
pictures 'smooth' out.
i've also tried to use the 'interlace' function in tmpgenc but it doesn't
seem the to change the video image...

Note, i go the next step, author it to dvd and view it on a tv rather than a
pc monitor to confirm my findings...

Don't deinterlace your video. You won't see those horizontal lines on
your TV. Just ignore them when you're previewing the video on your
monitor. If you deinterlace your AVI file, you'll get worse motion
clarity on your TV.
http://www.geocities.com/victorfilmgroup/vidfilm1.htm

erratic, you've been a huge help so far -
using vdub & tmpgenc (w/hufyuv compression yuy2) what other configuration
settings would you recommend?

You're on the right track. If you convert your interlaced AVI files to
DVD MPEG-2 with TMPGEnc, I suggest you use the Project Wizard. It will
take care of most settings automatically. The field order is very
important when converting AVI to MPEG-2. TMPGEnc will determine the
correct field order automatically if you use the Project Wizard.

For fine tuning TMPGEnc's settings, read this:
http://dvd-hq.info/Compression.html
Old July 18th 03, 05:48 PM
T-nospam-D

i'll review the fine tuning for vdub, but this is where i kind of started
i didn't deinterlace w/vdub (or change other setting with the exception of
compression)
i used the project wizard w/tmpgenc (didn't change a thing)
i authored w/dvd movie factory and played it on the tv, it looked awful

so what i'll do is review the doc, fine tune vdub
As for Tmpgenc/project wizard
For the first panel, I should
- select DVD/NTSC/ CBR MPEG-1 Layer II Audio (MP2) - correct? or should i
use VBR or PCM audio?
on the next panel,
- select AVI file,
- Select Video type as "Interlace" rather than "Non-Interlace",
- Then either Top or Bottom field first (?)
- Aspect ratio 4:3 525 Line (NTSC...)
- content of video - Video Movie
on the subsequent panel - filter settings,
- don't select anything? or go to the Other settings? then Advanced
settings and select the filters? There's quite a few like "Source Range",
"Inverse Telecine", etc

in reading the earlier message,
http://nickyguides.digital-digest.com/interlace.htm it mentions Bobbing vs.
Blending... but I don't see where I could do bobbing

Thanks so much for your assistance - I appreciate your support.

Old July 18th 03, 06:02 PM
T-nospam-D

disregard my last email - i'll review the tuning of tmpgenc like you stated,
rather than vdub...

also, i know i asked this before, but i can't find the response -
if i select to stream type to ES vidoe only, how do i get the audio 1.
synched up with the video and 2. authored w/dvd moviefactory? i can't seem
to find how to do this

Old July 18th 03, 06:14 PM
erratic

On Fri, 18 Jul 2003 13:02:07 -0400, "T-nospam-D"
wrote:

also, i know i asked this before, but i can't find the response -
if i select to stream type to ES vidoe only, how do i get the audio 1.
synched up with the video and 2. authored w/dvd moviefactory? i can't seem
to find how to do this

AFAIK MovieFactory does not support elementary streams, so it's easier
to let TMPGEnc encode both audio and video. Do you have sync problems?
Old July 18th 03, 06:57 PM
T-nospam-D

no synch problems - just reading the guide for configuring tmpgenc and it
recommends elementary streams

Old July 18th 03, 07:02 PM
erratic

On Fri, 18 Jul 2003 13:57:45 -0400, "T-nospam-D"
wrote:

no synch problems - just reading the guide for configuring tmpgenc and it
recommends elementary streams

That depends on your DVD autoring software. If your authoring software
doesn't support elementary streams and your DVD player supports MP2,
it's easier to simply make an MPEG-2 stream with video and (MP2) audio.
Old July 18th 03, 08:23 PM
erratic

wrote:

authored w/dvd moviefactory?

One thing I'd like to add: If TMPGEnc has created the MPEG-2 file,
don't let MovieFactory re-encode it. Check this setting in DVD MF:
"Do not convert compliant MPEG files".
http://www.dvdrhelp.com/forum/userguides/139093.php