Warining Warning Warning Gigabyte GA-7VT600 doesn't accept heatsinks

Old February 6th 04, 02:00 PM
blackpikex

Default Warining Warning Warning Gigabyte GA-7VT600 doesn't accept heatsinks

I have purchased a gigabyte GA-7VT600 motherboard.
I also purchased a boxed AMD 2400XP chip and Heatsink.
I have also purchased a CoolMaster Heatsink sutable for this
processor.
neither the AMD or Coolmaster heatsinks will fit over the processor on
the mother board because of a large capacitor placed close to the CPU
socket. Can anyone recomend a heat sink that can be used with this
mother board and an AMD 2400 XP chip

Thanks in advance
Old February 6th 04, 09:47 PM
+CrimsonLiar

"blackpikex" wrote in message
om...
I have purchased a gigabyte GA-7VT600 motherboard.
I also purchased a boxed AMD 2400XP chip and Heatsink.
I have also purchased a CoolMaster Heatsink sutable for this
processor.
neither the AMD or Coolmaster heatsinks will fit over the processor on
the mother board because of a large capacitor placed close to the CPU
socket. Can anyone recomend a heat sink that can be used with this
mother board and an AMD 2400 XP chip

Thanks in advance

Quite a few of the current gigabyte boards suffer from this. I would guess
quite a few people in here have taken a dremmel to the heatsink (please dont
use a dremel on the capacitor it doesnt have quite the same effect), to just
take off that one corner that gets in the way. Please though if you do try
this MAKE SURE YOU CLEAN OUT ALL THE LITTLE METAL FILINGS BEFORE YOU PUT THE
HEAT SINK IN PLACE!!!!!!

CrimsonLiar

Old February 7th 04, 01:18 AM
ray hartman

On Fri, 06 Feb 2004 06:00:52 -0800, blackpikex wrote:

I have purchased a gigabyte GA-7VT600 motherboard.
I also purchased a boxed AMD 2400XP chip and Heatsink.
I have also purchased a CoolMaster Heatsink sutable for this
processor.
neither the AMD or Coolmaster heatsinks will fit over the processor on
the mother board because of a large capacitor placed close to the CPU
socket. Can anyone recomend a heat sink that can be used with this
mother board and an AMD 2400 XP chip

Thanks in advance

BP:

No need for a fancy-pants HS. The Ga-7VT600 like to stay cool. I'm running
the std. HSF on a Barton2600, and active-CPU temps come in at a chilly
45_C.
Full-tower case w/3-casefans.
Old February 8th 04, 09:37 AM
Tim

Rip out the capacitor. If the board doesn't work afterwards, RMA it.
- Tim

newsan.2004.02.07.01.18.06.463336@SPAMBEGONEqwes t.net...

Old February 9th 04, 12:07 AM
blackpikex