HELP!! "Reboot and select proper boot device"is Driving Me NUTZ!

Old December 11th 03, 01:44 AM
P Bakulic

Default HELP!! "Reboot and select proper boot device"is Driving Me NUTZ!

Howdy All,

Just put together the following system:
Asus P4C800 Deluxe
1 Gb Kensington DDR400/PC3200 HyperX Dual Channel Unbuffered RAM (2x512)
Maxtor 80 GB Ultra ATA Connected to IDE 1, set as primary master
---Note: The drive above has an existing installation of Win2K and Apps
Creative CD/DVR Connected to IDE 2, set as secondary master
Floppy Drive
Matrox G550 AGP
Thermaltake XLaser III Ultra Tower

Here's the Sitch!

ON boot, the drives are detected without a problem, in the bios, the drives
are detected and articulated.

Once the memory check is done, the drives are identified, and then the USB
Mass Storage Devices are detected (none attached and none identified).

Then, the Promise Raid Controller message comes up and says:

SATA378 TX2 Plus (c) (date, and other text)

No device found

Reboot and select proper boot device or insert. . . and reboot.

Can anyone help me out here? Asus Tech Support has yet to call me back as
promised.

Thanks,

PBakulic

--
"There's another dead Bishop on the landing!"
Old December 11th 03, 02:09 AM
Shepİ

On Thu, 11 Dec 2003 01:44:54 GMT Not letting inanimate objects know
I'm a in a hurry P Bakulic wrote :

[...]

IIRC you have to set the boot order to the RAID device in the mother
board BIOS and also the correct settings in the Controller's BIOS or
Vice Versa?
do you have a manual for the RAID controller?

--
Free Windows/PC help,
email shepATpartyheld.de
Old December 11th 03, 05:04 AM
Shepİ

On Thu, 11 Dec 2003 04:35:15 GMT Not letting inanimate objects know
I'm a in a hurry P Bakulic wrote :

Shepİ wrote in
:

On Thu, 11 Dec 2003 01:44:54 GMT Not letting inanimate objects know
I'm a in a hurry P Bakulic wrote :

IIRC you have to set the boot order to the RAID device in the mother
board BIOS and also the correct settings in the Controller's BIOS or
Vice Versa?
do you have a manual for the RAID controller?

I have the motherboard manual, but I didn't see a RAID manual. Is there one
that I need to download?

I wasn't sure if you had a PCI RAID controller so I meant a manual for
that?
Have you tried the motherboard's supports/FAQs?

--
Free Windows/PC help,
email shepATpartyheld.de
Old December 11th 03, 06:06 AM
P Bakulic

Shepİ wrote in
:

On Thu, 11 Dec 2003 04:35:15 GMT Not letting inanimate objects know
I'm a in a hurry P Bakulic wrote :

Shepİ wrote in
m:

On Thu, 11 Dec 2003 01:44:54 GMT Not letting inanimate objects know
I'm a in a hurry P Bakulic wrote :

IIRC you have to set the boot order to the RAID device in the mother
board BIOS and also the correct settings in the Controller's BIOS or
Vice Versa?
do you have a manual for the RAID controller?

I have the motherboard manual, but I didn't see a RAID manual. Is
there one that I need to download?

I wasn't sure if you had a PCI RAID controller so I meant a manual for
that?
Have you tried the motherboard's supports/FAQs?

Yes I have, they were less than helpful. The RAID controller is integrated
onto the mobo, and the manual doesn't really explain the IDE setup very
well. It seems like there has to be a way to disable, or toggle a setting
for the SATA RAID controller, but I haven't found the right toggle yet.

PBakulic

--
"There's another dead Bishop on the landing!"
Old December 11th 03, 07:32 AM
James

On Thu, 11 Dec 2003 06:06:55 GMT, P Bakulic
wrote:

Yes I have, they were less than helpful. The RAID controller is integrated
onto the mobo, and the manual doesn't really explain the IDE setup very
well. It seems like there has to be a way to disable, or toggle a setting
for the SATA RAID controller, but I haven't found the right toggle yet.

PBakulic

In bios, at main menu select "Advanced" then "Onboard Devices
Configuration". The 2nd line will allow you to disable it. BTW, I
think you will this in chapter 4.4.4 of the manual.

Old December 11th 03, 07:51 AM
P Bakulic

In bios, at main menu select "Advanced" then "Onboard Devices
Configuration". The 2nd line will allow you to disable it. BTW, I
think you will this in chapter 4.4.4 of the manual.

Thanks James. I did try that already. It goes to a "Select Proper Boot
Device Message" I have also been through section 4.4.4 of the manual a few
times.

I'm beginning to feel that the 80 Gb drive is the culprit. It was from my
system that crashed hard last week, and I'm thinking that because the Win2K
installation was done on another box, it may not want to play nicely with
the current configuration.

I'll change the cables to the new 200 Gb Drive I bought and see if it will
at least allow me to format it and install XP.

PBakulic

--
"There's another dead Bishop on the landing!"
Old December 11th 03, 08:40 AM
Paul

In article , P Bakulic
wrote:

Shepİ wrote in
:

[...]

Advanced:Onboard_Devices_Configuration -

Onboard Promise Controller {Disabled] ?

Maybe that will stop it from bothering you.

Paul
Old December 11th 03, 11:07 AM
James

On Thu, 11 Dec 2003 07:51:08 GMT, P Bakulic
wrote:

In bios, at main menu select "Advanced" then "Onboard Devices
Configuration". The 2nd line will allow you to disable it. BTW, I
think you will this in chapter 4.4.4 of the manual.

Thanks James. I did try that already. It goes to a "Select Proper Boot
Device Message" I have also been through section 4.4.4 of the manual a few
times.

I'm beginning to feel that the 80 Gb drive is the culprit. It was from my
system that crashed hard last week, and I'm thinking that because the Win2K
installation was done on another box, it may not want to play nicely with
the current configuration.

I'll change the cables to the new 200 Gb Drive I bought and see if it will
at least allow me to format it and install XP.

PBakulic

Have you selected the 1st, 2nd, 3rd boot device in the bios - "Boot"
then "Boot Device Priority"? Chapter 4.6 in manual.

Sorry, but failed to catch the information on the hard drive with
because using a different MB now will only "confuse" windows.

Good luck, ask more questions if needed and post what you did to fix
the problem.
Old December 11th 03, 03:49 PM
P Bakulic

James wrote in
:

wrote:

Have you selected the 1st, 2nd, 3rd boot device in the bios - "Boot"
then "Boot Device Priority"? Chapter 4.6 in manual.

Sorry, but failed to catch the information on the hard drive with
because using a different MB now will only "confuse" windows.

Good luck, ask more questions if needed and post what you did to fix
the problem.

Thanks! I did set the boot sequence using the HDD first, Floppy second, and
CD Third. No Change in the message or problem, I even tried using the pop-
up window option on boot to select the boot device last night. That was
what kind of made me think it was the hard drive. The only boot device
shown in the window was the CD/DVD player, so I'm kind of wondering about
the HDD and the Floppy.

Will advise later on today, I have some obligations.

PBakulic

--
"There's another dead Bishop on the landing!"

Can't boot from CD Zotin Khuma General 6 November 16th 04 10:18 PM
How Move OS XP from Old to New HD? Nehmo Sergheyev Homebuilt PC's 80 January 12th 04 05:10 PM
Well, i've upgraded the bios from 1005 to 1008.... Cralos Arruda Asus Motherboards 24 July 10th 03 06:53 PM
Hello. Need help urgent..... Carlos Arruda Asus Motherboards 4 July 1st 03 10:22 PM
P4P800 Reboot message BNR Asus Motherboards 0 June 29th 03 09:27 PM