P4C800-E Deluxe - Capturing Video Through the M/B's Firewire Port(s)

Old October 27th 03, 05:38 PM
Paul

Default P4C800-E Deluxe - Capturing Video Through the M/B's Firewire Port(s)

Hi

After building my new NLE system around this M/B I find that there are
problems when capturing Video direct through either one of it's firewire
ports. I am not the only one and from my research it seems it's down to the
Via OHCI Compliant IEEE 1394 Controller. If you happen to have another
firewire port on your system in say a capture card, or in my case, on the
back of my Audigy 2 ZS SoundCard, capture works just fine, without any
dropped frames at all. This seems such a basic problem to have (AFAIK) no
solution that I can find on what is after all a top of the range M/B

Anyone found information or a solution?
Paul

This footnote confirms that this email message
has been swept by Norton AntiVirus for the
presence of computer viruses.

This computer is protected
by GIANT Company's Spam Inspector

Old October 27th 03, 06:09 PM
Philip Callan

"Paul" wrote in message
Hi

After building my new NLE system around this M/B I find that there are
problems when capturing Video direct through either one of it's firewire
ports. I am not the only one and from my research it seems it's down to

the
Via OHCI Compliant IEEE 1394 Controller. If you happen to have another
firewire port on your system in say a capture card, or in my case, on the
back of my Audigy 2 ZS SoundCard, capture works just fine, without any
dropped frames at all. This seems such a basic problem to have (AFAIK) no
solution that I can find on what is after all a top of the range M/B

Anyone found information or a solution?
Paul

I have this board, and capture flawlessly from the onboard 1394, the one in
my Antec front
panel (which is off a MB header) as well as the one in my Audigy 2
(dont know what a ZS model is, but its all firewire).

I use a Canon ZR65MC what camera are you using?

Old October 27th 03, 07:08 PM
Paul

I use a Panasonic NV-MX300 and the Audigy 2 ZS is the new model. After
visiting a number of forums, there are others who suffer like myself but
there doesn't seem to be a solution and the Asus & Via websites are
pityfully scant concerning this connectivity.

Old October 27th 03, 07:56 PM
Philip Callan

Umm, what do you need from VIA? I own this board,
and I dont think I needed a VIA driver for anything, thats why I bought a

Old October 27th 03, 09:36 PM
Paul

So basically I've bought a very expensive M/B which is useless Firewire-wise
unless you install another card with Firewire connectivity right? This is
clearly a big issue yet nobody seems to want to do something about it other
than put up with it. It's no answer to say "it doesn't affect me".

Sheesh!!!!!!!!!!

Old October 27th 03, 10:12 PM
Philip Callan

"Paul" wrote in message
So basically I've bought a very expensive M/B which is useless

Firewire-wise
unless you install another card with Firewire connectivity right? It's

no answer to say "it doesn't affect me".

No. Where did I say anything akin to that? I said I dont experience this
problem, but never said anything
about it being useless firewire wise.

This is
clearly a big issue yet nobody seems to want to do something about it

other
than put up with it.

It's only a big issue to you at the moment, because you cant capture video,
trust me, it'll
boil down in a bit. I dont have to 'put up with it' because *I* havent seen
it, remember the
saying 'Your mileage may vary'? not everyone is going to be able to
replicate your problem.

And, once again, I say, I have captured FLAWLESSLY through the Firewire port
ON my MB's backplate AND via the 2nd Firewire header which use the VIA OHCI
compliant
controller onboard (which does not need a driver of its own, its part of the
875P chipset package
you install), and via the Audigy2's firewire which lists a vague 'IEEE 1394
OHCI Compliant
Host Controller Vendor' as the maker of the chip.

Perhaps if you were to elaborate on what program you are capturing with,
what speed of HD you use
and your basic system specs (RAM/CPU). Your very quick to rant about the
lack of help, but your
not giving much to work with.

Old October 28th 03, 07:42 AM
Tim

Hi there,

I have the same problem on a P4C800-D with a Audigy 2 Platinum the onboard
Firewire port drops loads of frames use the Audigy Firewire port very few if
any dropped frames.

I'm going to remove the Audigy and see if there is a difference but looks
like some problem with the onboard Firewire port.

I'm using Sony PC120E, Adobe Premier Pro also tried Pinnacle Studio and
Expressions 2 all exhibit the same problem of dropped frames when using the
onboard Firewire port.

Just pleased I've got the Audigy with it's Firewire ports but an odd one.

Tim.

Old October 28th 03, 09:13 AM
Paul

Thanks Tim for baling me out here. I KNOW I am not the only person
experiencing this problem.

However further research suggests it could be a clash with the RAID
controller. I am using 2 x WD Raptors (SATA 150) set it a RAID
configuration for my OS (XP Pro & SP1a) and Programs. This is installed on
the Intel ICH5R Controller. My Storage volume is on 2 x Seagate Barracuda
7's (SATA 150) again set in a RAID 0 configuration. I am running a P4 3Ghz
and a Gigabyte 9800 Pro Graphics card. I am not overclocking anything.
Capture will be via a Pinnacle DV500 card which I have not yet installed
using Adobe Premiere 6.5, however I don't intend installing this card until
next week. In the meantime I am using Adobe Premiere Pro to capture DV
direct through a firewire port. This would appear to be afflicting RAID
users, I think, Philip do you use a RAID configuration? - if not then this
further points to this might be the problem. As you say Philip, it's
strange that the onboard ports don't work and an external one will that said
I have never rated Via - bad experiences but that's an entirely different
matter - I appreciate what you say though regarding the fact that additional
drivers are not required, although if the problem is related to one of the
RAID controllers (which one?) then updated drivers will indeed be necessary.

Old October 28th 03, 04:31 PM
Tim

Hi there,

A couple of things obviously I'm using a P4C800-Deluxe not the P4C800-E
Deluxe also I'm not using a raid configuration at the moment just using my
raid controller in IDE mode.

I must admit haven't tried to use the onboard Firewire port in the
configuration as I only reinstalled in this mode a week ago will give it a
try later in the week and report back.

Tim.

Old October 28th 03, 04:47 PM
Philip Callan

"Paul" wrote in message
Thanks Tim for baling me out here. I KNOW I am not the only person
experiencing this problem.

However further research suggests it could be a clash with the RAID
controller. This would appear to be afflicting RAID
users, I think, Philip do you use a RAID configuration?

Nope, I dont use either RAID on either controller, so your right, it may
only affect certain users
worth looking at twice