Newbie needs 9800 Pro vid capture advice

Old September 13th 03, 01:03 PM
M.A.

Default Newbie needs 9800 Pro vid capture advice

Here is a link to the manuals. Ati's site is a mess.. things are not
where you would expect them to be.. good luck with the troubleshooting

http://www.ati.com/support/products/...romanuals.html

If you just got your computer maybe you can upgrade the card to a
All-in-wonder 9800 PRO or return the pc and get one with the aiw ..
would solve the problem.

ma

Ms.Goodwrench wrote:

Early this week I received my new Dell Dimension XPS sporting a Radeon
9800 Pro and a gig of DDR memory. The pc and the card work magnificent,
except for one area. And I'm sure it's just my ignorance.

I was a little surprised that Dell didn't send a manual for the 9800
Pro... but then I found ATI doesn't have one in .pdf on their site
either. Hmmm... well, this is the first time I've ever had state-of-
the-art computer technology (too cheap or too broke in the past).
Anyhoo, the brick wall I've run into concerns converting analog video
(VHS) into MPEG-2 or DV. I've been using ADS' USB Instant DVD 1.0,
which worked fairly well on the old pc (P4 1.4, Radeon 9700, not Pro).
The capture program (CapWiz and Ulead Videostudio 6) works just fine,
but when I click on "capture" the video I get is good old digitally
mixed up green and pink (just like my DSS when it's losing its signal)
which crashes the whole system within 15 seconds.

I have everything updated and patched. I checked and rechecked
connections (VCR to iDVD to pc via USB). I SCOURED the websites and
FAQs (both ATI and ADS) and couldn't find anyone with the exact problem
I have... so I'm left thinking it's simply a setting - probably video -
that I have wrong. Or at the worst, the iDVD won't work with my new
set-up.

Here's my next stupid question... what kind of video capturing can I do
with my Radeon 9800 Pro (it's not All-in-Wonder)? Obviously, I can do
digital video capture via IEEE 1394. But what about analog? Is the
card capable? Sure woulda been nice to have an owner's manual ;-)

Any and all advice will be GREATLY appreciated!

cheers,

jean