Macrium Reflect on a Dell - restore advice please!

Old February 6th 11, 11:06 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Rasta Pickles

Default Macrium Reflect on a Dell - restore advice please!

I was foolish enough to move away from my trusty BootItNG when I
bought this Studio XPS 7100 and used Macrium Reflect (the free
edition) to create images of my partitions.

Guess I got suckered in by the good reviews. Hey ho, you live and
learn.

So, my system is starting to slow down and I decided it was time to
flash the "new install" images back over the top of my existing
partitions.

Everything was going swimmingly until I got to the grown up partition,
i.e my c: drive. Attemtping to restore via Windows, naturally enough,
generates a "the drive is locked" but there is an option to use a
Macrium Recovery CD (which I'd wisely burned) to boot to a Linux app
that enables you to do the necessary.

Allegedly.

All my images were on my j: partition. So I boot from the CD to be
presented with the c: drive only. And even then I'm not sure it IS
the c: drive because there's one directory only and that is called
ISOLINUX.......which I'm pretty sure is actually the CD drive!

A quick Google (always good to be wise after the event) indicates that
the Recovery CD is flakey at the best of times. Great.

Soooooo...........has anyone got any ideas on how I can get the image
on j: flashed over onto my c: drive?

I have a Linux distro on a USB drive and can boot to that - is there a
way I can do it from there perhaps?

Any advice greatly appreciated - I would have tried the official
Macrium support forum but they only provide help to registered users.
Old February 6th 11, 09:28 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Brian K[_3_]

If the Macrium Linux CD can't see your partitions I suggest creating a
BartPE CD with the Macrium plugin. (Other Tasks, Create Rescue CD, BartPE)

Old February 7th 11, 06:47 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Rasta Pickles

On Feb 6, 9:28*pm, "Brian K" wrote:
If the Macrium Linux CD can't see your partitions I suggest creating a
BartPE CD with the Macrium plugin. (Other Tasks, Create Rescue CD, BartPE)

Alas, it wont let me: "BartPE is not compatible with Windows Vista".

The fact I'm running Windows 7 is just one more thing the program's
got wrong!
Old February 7th 11, 10:02 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Brian K[_3_]

."Alas, it wont let me: "BartPE is not compatible with Windows Vista".

The fact I'm running Windows 7 is just one more thing the program's
got wrong!

You have to create the BartPE CD in a WinXP but the CD will work with a Win7
OS.
Give me a little time. You may be able to run the plugin using the Win7 DVD.
I'll check.

Old February 7th 11, 10:28 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Brian K[_3_]

This looks very promising.

Create a BartPE plugin and put the folder on a USB flash drive.

Boot from a Win7 DVD, Next, Repair your computer, Load Drivers, OK, browse
to the Files folder in the plugin and right clicks on ReflectPE and click
Run as administrator. Click OK on a few more windows. Macrium Reflect opens.
Click Restore an Image, ignore the latest Add Drivers window. You will have
to drag several windows out of the way of the Restore Wizard window or move
the Restore Wizard window around to get a good view but it is possible.
Improvise. Next. Now you should be able to see your partitions and do the
restore.

I'm not a Macrium Reflect user but it looks like it should work. Let us
know. I've use this method to do Drive Snapshot and Image for Windows
restores.

Old February 7th 11, 10:30 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Rasta Pickles

On Feb 7, 10:02*am, "Brian K" wrote:

You have to create the BartPE CD in a WinXP but the CD will work with a Win7
OS.
Give me a little time. You may be able to run the plugin using the Win7 DVD.
I'll check.

Thanks for that - someone elsewhere suggested using something called
SIWPE which has some sort of plugin for Macrium but Google draws a
blank?
Old February 7th 11, 10:45 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Brian K[_3_]

I forgot to mention, you must use a 32-bit Win7 DVD.

After you have tried the method a few times you realize that the superfluous
windows can either be closed or minimized.

Old February 7th 11, 05:47 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Rasta Pickles

On Feb 7, 10:45*am, "Brian K" wrote:
I forgot to mention, you must use a 32-bit Win7 DVD.

After you have tried the method a few times you realize that the superfluous
windows can either be closed or minimized.

Well I only have a 64 bit version but thank you for your input.

I have managed to sort it via a convoluted method; for reasons best
known to itself, the Recovery CD doesn't see hard drives but DOES see
anything attached via USB.

shrugs shoulders in disbelief

So.......digital camcorder with 16GB SD card attached via USB cable
and the 8GB image of my c: drive transferred onto that. Reboot and
voila, I can flash (slowly) the image from the SD card over my c:
drive.

But why oh why have Macrium made such a hash of their Recovery CD?
It's not a thinly veiled effort to get people to cough up for their
paid for version is it?

/cynical mode off

I've (very quickly) gone back to BootItNG.
Old February 7th 11, 07:04 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Brian K[_3_]

I've (very quickly) gone back to BootItNG.

It's one of my favourites.

Old February 7th 11, 07:08 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Brian K[_3_]

So.......digital camcorder with 16GB SD card attached via USB cable
and the 8GB image of my c: drive transferred onto that. Reboot and
voila, I can flash (slowly) the image from the SD card over my c:
drive.

Is it your OS partition? You said before that it looked like the CD.

Macrium Reflect is THE tool for making backup copies of Windows XP John Doe Storage (alternative) 10 November 1st 10 10:16 PM
Fishface recommends Macrium Reflect for making backup copies of Windows John Doe Storage (alternative) 9 December 16th 09 07:05 AM
Dell restore Metspitzer Homebuilt PC's 2 September 15th 09 06:46 AM
Does warranty reflect quality? Gary Smith Storage (alternative) 25 December 5th 03 01:51 AM
max payne2 mirrors don't reflect eng Nvidia Videocards 8 November 11th 03 04:53 PM