Refresh problem with R9600Pro

Old April 18th 04, 03:32 AM
ElfGuy

Default Refresh problem with R9600Pro

I just got a Radeon 9600PRO. I'm using WinME, and if I set refresh
rate to 85hz, when I reboot it sets it back to 60hz. Now my old R7000
used to do that and I changed the IDCDontUseOSMonitorInfo key to 00 00
00 00 in the registry and it used to work, but if I do that now it
doesn't work at all, it still sets it back to 60hz. I tried MultiRes
and it too can't change the refresh rate after a reboot. The only way
I can change it is if I go in properties and change the monitor type
(like to another type of SuperVGA monitor) and then change the
refresh. Any ideas?
Old April 18th 04, 02:08 PM
Ben Pope

ElfGuy wrote:
I just got a Radeon 9600PRO. I'm using WinME, and if I set refresh
rate to 85hz, when I reboot it sets it back to 60hz. Now my old R7000
used to do that and I changed the IDCDontUseOSMonitorInfo key to 00 00
00 00 in the registry and it used to work, but if I do that now it
doesn't work at all, it still sets it back to 60hz. I tried MultiRes
and it too can't change the refresh rate after a reboot. The only way
I can change it is if I go in properties and change the monitor type
(like to another type of SuperVGA monitor) and then change the
refresh. Any ideas?

Um... bad monitor driver?

Try unticking the "use DDC" stuff in the ATI driver.

Ben

Old April 18th 04, 03:08 PM

On 17 Apr 2004 19:32:56 -0700, (ElfGuy) wrote:

I just got a Radeon 9600PRO. I'm using WinME, and if I set refresh
rate to 85hz, when I reboot it sets it back to 60hz. Now my old R7000
used to do that and I changed the IDCDontUseOSMonitorInfo key to 00 00
00 00 in the registry and it used to work, but if I do that now it
doesn't work at all, it still sets it back to 60hz. I tried MultiRes
and it too can't change the refresh rate after a reboot. The only way
I can change it is if I go in properties and change the monitor type
(like to another type of SuperVGA monitor) and then change the
refresh. Any ideas?

Quote : -

PROBLEMS WITH XP REFRESH RATES

This problem is about WinXP not applying the refresh rates and is
always stuck at 60Hz no matter which resolution or Refresh rate you
choose. This is how to fix it:

1- Make sure you monitor is identified as Plug & Play or WinXP is
using your Monitor driver.

2- Right Click an empty space in your desktop and click PROPERTIES, in
the display properties, click the followings: SETTINGS, ADVANCED,
DISPLAYS, MONITOR. On monitor attributes, you will see that "USE DDC
INFORMATION" is marked, and you will also see that the maximum
resolution and refresh rate for your monitor are selected. Uncheck
"USE DDC INFORMATION" and press APPLY. Now you can select ANY refresh
rate supported by your monitor.

If the control "USE DDC INFORMATION" is grayed out, here's a fix:

1- Download and install the latest PowerStrip.
2- Run it, it should Autodetect the problem and fix it automatically.
3- Close and uninstall PowerStrip (if you desire)
4- Restart your PC.

When you return to XP the monitor controls should be enabled.

There are two BAD things you should know:
1- OpenGL games STILL have the refresh rate problem. (they will
default to 60Hz)

2- Your currently selected desktop refresh rate will be used for ALL
your games, no matter which resolution you use in the game. Ex. If you
choose a desktop setting of 1024x768x32@75Hz then any game, even
running at 800x600 or 640x480 will run at 75Hz.

I hope one day MICROSOFT fixes this BUG and make the
resolution+refresh rate system just like the one used in Win9x, where
each resolution had it's own refresh rate setting and games run
accordingly with it.

Un-Quote, goto Ati help here :

http://www.omegacorner.com/index_ati.html

BoroLad