Asus A7V8X-X: Comes out of Hibernation on it's Own

Old November 23rd 03, 08:58 PM
C. Bailey

Default Asus A7V8X-X: Comes out of Hibernation on it's Own

I just built a computer. It seems to hibernate OK, but occasionally it will
come out of hibernation on it's own - I know it's nothing I do, because it
will come out of hibernation when I am not even in the room with it. Any
thoughts? I have the following components:

Asus A7V8X-X
Barton 2500+
512 Kingston Ram PC2700
ATI 7000 Video Card
Two Maxtor Hard Drives (20 & 40 Gig)
LG 52x24x52x
USR 56 K (5699 B) Modem

Chris

Old November 23rd 03, 11:11 PM
Rob

Check to see if your BIOS or modem settings are set to wake-up the
system when there's an incoming call.

Old November 24th 03, 05:06 AM
Nitrof

When my computer's modem is connected to a telepone
outlet, my A7V8X comes out of hibernation whenever
the telephone rings. Changing BIOS settings does not
change anything.

So I keep the modem disconnected, unless my
Internet cable connection is down.

Old November 25th 03, 01:38 AM
C. Bailey

Thank you,

I haven't checked the BIOS yet, but I did find a setting under the modem
(under device manager) under power management that allows the computer to
awake from standby. I have toggled this off (it was on by default). I am
going to reboot and check my BIOS.

People have been calling our place since I rebuilt the computer, and
frequently, it rings once, and they are disconnected - I didn't realize it
might be related to the computer, but it is beginning to appear so.

Can anyone explain to me the difference between standby, suspend to RAM, and
hibernate? I know what hibernate is and I use it frequently, but I don't
know what the others are.

Chris

Old November 25th 03, 03:54 AM
Rob

Your modem sounds like it's preset to Auto-answer. If Your calls get
grabbed by the modem after 1 ring and you want to stop that, you might
try entering "S00=000" (without quotations and using zeros) in the Extra
Init. Strings Box on the Advanced Tab for your modem in Device Manager.
Call the line and test before/after to verify any change. That should
put an end to the Auto-answer/disconect after 1 ring. Remove the
spambone and E-mail if you wish.

Rob

Old November 25th 03, 04:38 AM
FredP

Chris ...

The BIOS is the place to check for power on options ... modem, LAN, etc ...
just disable them if you don't use them.

Standby and Suspend to RAM (STR) are the same. STR01 is a 'light sleep'
standby ... and provides for a quick return to desktop. STR03 is a 'deep
sleep' standby where most everything shuts down but power is maintained to
the computer (and the RAM) for a still relatively quick return to desktop
.... just not as quick as STR01. STR is normally just used for short periods
away from the computer. These settings are usually set in BIOS. Note that
any shut down or power loss will wipe out what's stored in RAM and you'll
have to do a normal bootup.

Hibernate is where the computer is actually shut down but, before it does,
everything you were working on is copied to the HD and, when you restart,
the system goes to that section and restores your desktop to whatever you
were working on before hibernate.
--
HTH ... Fred