Weird problem

Old January 24th 05, 01:48 PM
Guy Macon

Default Weird problem

I will be shocked if anyone has the solution to this...

My Proliant 5500R PPro runs perfectly, except on two occasions.

Occasion #1 - after years of perfect service:
I hit the power switch and it starts up, then goes dead after
a few seconds. Turn it off and on, no problem. Works fine
for a year and a half after that.

Occasion #2 - after running for at least 12 hours that day,
it suddenly dies. I was inserting a floppy, but I think
that was just randomchance. No problems since.

Nothing on the diagnostic display.

Any ideas?

Old January 26th 05, 02:57 AM
Derek Taylor

"Guy Macon" http://www.guymacon.com/ wrote in message

I will be shocked if anyone has the solution to this...

My Proliant 5500R PPro runs perfectly, except on two occasions.

Occasion #1 - after years of perfect service:
I hit the power switch and it starts up, then goes dead after
a few seconds. Turn it off and on, no problem. Works fine
for a year and a half after that.

Occasion #2 - after running for at least 12 hours that day,
it suddenly dies. I was inserting a floppy, but I think
that was just randomchance. No problems since.

Nothing on the diagnostic display.

Any ideas?

I had a problem very similar to this recently testing a 5500 (except didn't
take years between occurances!), it was down to the power switch cable being
a bit sensitive (probably a loose connection or dry joint). Occasionally if
you even lightly touched it (I was working with the lid off) the server
would shut down. Also couple of times it wouldn't turn back on unless the
cable was wiggled a bit. Fortunately it seemed to go away after a bit but
will probably come back after a while like yours.

This would certainly seem to fit your description of the second occurance as
the floppy drive is fairly close to the power switch so the vibration could
have caused the bad connection.

Hope that helps!

Del
Tahex Limited
UK

Old January 26th 05, 11:36 PM
Guy Macon

Derek Taylor wrote:

[...]

That helps a *lot*.

I will simply replace the switch and cable. Then wait several years,
wondering if I fixed it...

Thanks!