what was your first computer

Old February 13th 04, 03:24 PM
tonyk

Now son, I've told you not to bring that up. But you know perfectly
well that the first computer in the house was the dirt floor. Never
could

recover
any deleted files from that old computer, and the graphics did kinda
suck ;-)

Dirt floor?! Luxury! Back when I were a lad, if I wanted to render a
3d scene, or indulge in some CAD, I had to carve it all out onto our
solid granite block with my tongue! It was embedded with bits of
broken glass I

You new comers, with your windoze and linsux........back in the day we
had nothing but ones and zeros.....sometimes just zeros......sometimes
we used OHs for zeros.......

tonyk
Old February 13th 04, 03:52 PM
Dave

On Fri, 13 Feb 2004 09:24:33 -0600, tonyk wrote:

You new comers, with your windoze and linsux........back in the day we
had nothing but ones and zeros.....sometimes just zeros......sometimes
we used OHs for zeros.......

tonyk

Anyone for a 227 (iirc) character REM statement, filled with hand-entered
machine code?

Old February 13th 04, 04:18 PM
Gary Tait

On Thu, 12 Feb 2004 15:38:25 -0500, "Mr. Brian Allen"
wrote:

Apple IIe
64k ram + 64k ramdisk
2x 5 1/4 floppy with 143K / side
green monochrome monitor.

Those were great also. Remember when the IIe's came out with color monitors
and hard floppy drives? You'd have thought the world ended.

AFAIK, colour monitors were an option.
Old February 13th 04, 05:20 PM
Griffin

On Wed, 11 Feb 2004 10:18:36 -0800, "raj" wrote:

just name your first computer you ever owned, mine was a 286 wit smokin 1
meg of ram 24 meg hardrive lol and one of those new floppy drives lol

Hate to admit it but it was a TI-99/4, back in 1979.

Piece of junk. I wanted to get the Sinclair but the TI was bigger!

Griffin
please remove the leavemealoneat to reply
Old February 13th 04, 05:51 PM
chainbreaker

raj wrote:
just name your first computer you ever owned, mine was a 286 wit
smokin 1 meg of ram 24 meg hardrive lol and one of those new floppy
drives lol

Kaypro PC, one 5 1/4 floppy drive, 256K ram, guaranteed to be 99%
IBM-compatible!
--
chainbreaker

If you need to email, then chainbreaker (naturally) at comcast dot
net--that's "net" not "com"--should do it.

Old February 14th 04, 02:01 AM
Darthy

On Fri, 13 Feb 2004 11:20:15 -0600, Griffin
wrote:

On Wed, 11 Feb 2004 10:18:36 -0800, "raj" wrote:

just name your first computer you ever owned, mine was a 286 wit smokin 1
meg of ram 24 meg hardrive lol and one of those new floppy drives lol

Hate to admit it but it was a TI-99/4, back in 1979.

Piece of junk. I wanted to get the Sinclair but the TI was bigger!

Well.. if I really wanted to get TECNICAL - my first "computer" whas a
TI Calculator in 1977. It had 9 RED LED characters and about 3 times
the size of my Palm Pilot....

Funny... the Pilot has more CPU Mhz and RAM than my first Amiga
Computer...

When 512K of video RAM was a lot!

Death to Palladium & WPA!!

Old February 14th 04, 05:13 AM
Darthy

I think REAL OLD SCHOOL is counting your fingers...

On Fri, 13 Feb 2004 20:56:04 -0800, "raj" wrote:

now thats old school!
.. .

Old February 15th 04, 06:48 AM
Hackworth

TRS-80 Model III w/ cassette. Kept that one for just a couple of months as
it seemd to be more of a toy than anything else.

My first *real* computer was a ("pre-owned") Sanyo MBC-550 w/ 256*K* of RAM.
It ran at 3.67 MHz, a little slower than the original IBM PC. It was "MS-DOS
compatible" but not IBM PC hardware compatible, so I couldn't just run any
old IBM PC software on it... at least nothing that addressed video hardware
directly. Fortunately, the system came with a nice software bundle (WordStar
3.3, CalcStar and EasyWriter).

My first *serious* computer was an IBM XT/286 which, as you may expect, was
a hybrid between the IBM PC XT and the IBM PC AT. Even had a 20 MB hard
disk. Wooohoooo! That was my first system with a hard disk drive, and was I
ever amazed! Later, I put a Hercules monochrome graphics adapter in it so
that the system could render graphics and upper-ASCII characters (if the
software app supported it, of course). Also added a 3.5-inch 720K floppy
drive in 1987. Those were the days... seems like yesterday.

"BigJIm" wrote in message