ATI 9700pro broke, wait till nextgen card? When do they come out?

Old February 6th 04, 09:49 PM
Brook Harty

Default ATI 9700pro broke, wait till nextgen card? When do they come out?

I have had my 9700 pro break, I need to purchase a card, pricewatch
lists 9800pro's (oem's) for 220 bux, most with 1 year warranty.

Just curious when ATI is going to release a new GFX card, Would be
pretty bad spending 220+ bux when ATI releases new models 2 months
from now. Of course, i need a GFX card now, and the 9800pro(OEM) looks
nice for 220 bux (pricewatch).

I'm limping along with a fx 5200/128meg, the thing is dog slow, smoke
in CS makes it pause, and cant run with AA/AF as well as my 9700pro.
Was thinking of getting a 9600 for 130 bux, but thats little much.

Just wish I knew when ATI was going to release its nextgen GPU. Maybe
the 9800pro for 220 bux is the best bet. Its a great price and card,
and I would feel burnt if ATI released a new card next month, and
prices drop.

What do you guys/gals think? Wait or buy? Or look at a different
model?

-Brook

Old February 7th 04, 12:14 AM
Rob G

Does it not have a 3 year warranty? Or did you break it yourself and
voided the
warranty?

--

Rob

Old February 7th 04, 08:21 PM
Pluvious

On 6 Feb 2004 13:49:51 -0800, (Brook Harty) wrote:

||I have had my 9700 pro break, I need to purchase a card, pricewatch
||lists 9800pro's (oem's) for 220 bux, most with 1 year warranty.
||Just curious when ATI is going to release a new GFX card, Would be
||pretty bad spending 220+ bux when ATI releases new models 2 months
||from now. Of course, i need a GFX card now, and the 9800pro(OEM) looks
||nice for 220 bux (pricewatch).
||I'm limping along with a fx 5200/128meg, the thing is dog slow, smoke
||in CS makes it pause, and cant run with AA/AF as well as my 9700pro.
||Was thinking of getting a 9600 for 130 bux, but thats little much.
||Just wish I knew when ATI was going to release its nextgen GPU. Maybe
||the 9800pro for 220 bux is the best bet. Its a great price and card,
||and I would feel burnt if ATI released a new card next month, and
||prices drop.
||What do you guys/gals think? Wait or buy? Or look at a different
||model?
||-Brook

Boy thats a tough call.. the next gen are supposed to be a pretty big
leap in performace over the 9800. Like twice to three times faster. I
couldn't go 3 months without a good video card so I would get the 9800
pro for the $220 now. Keep in mind the new cards will be expensive all
over again.. $299 $399 $499 etc.. You certainly won't get the new ones
for $220. I'd also keep an eye out for a cheap another 9700 PRO on
ebay or something. If you can find one for $150 it would be worth it
to just get you by until the next generation hit later this summer.

Pluvious