What about LCD monitors?

Old April 19th 09, 09:51 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Bill[_5_]

Default What about LCD monitors?

On Sun, 19 Apr 2009 17:36:02 +0200, Ken wrote:

On Sun, 19 Apr 2009 07:14:28 -0400, Bill
wrote:

Any hands-on experienced opinions with LCD monitors? They are both
lighter and more energy efficient?

I have a 19 inch ViewSonic PF790 (middle to high end) old monitor that
still looks great. It is big and heavy, but that is not an issue. What
LCD monitor would match the picture and size of that monitor?

How much better is 24 over 22 inch? What are the usable screen
dimensions, width times height?

Thanks.

LCD Monitors come in three basic flavors: TN - lower end inexpensive
monitors with fast response times and typically narrow viewing angles,
although some have better viewing angles than others. PA - mid range
monitors with better color display and viewing angles. The trade off
is slower response times, althought some are close to the TN panels.
IPS - high end monitors with the best viewing angle and fair response
times and are the best for high end graphics work. The trade off is
that they are much more expensive than the other types.

Where is the VA panels in this three groups ?

Oops! meant VA (mid range) instead of PA, either PVA (Patterned
Vertical Alignment) or MVA (Multi-domain Vertical Alignment) I once
read about the technology, but have since forgotten the difference.

Bill

Old April 21st 09, 03:32 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Jon Danniken[_2_]

"The Seabat" wrote:
Not to hijack this thread, but, what is the consensus on leaving an
LCD on after shutting down the 'puter. Should you turn the monitor off
or just let it sit there in sleep mode? Which is best for the monitor?

I let the computer shut it off, same as with my last CRT monitor.

Jon

Old April 21st 09, 06:31 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
[email protected]

On Apr 18, 5:19 pm, John Doe wrote:
Any hands-on experienced opinions with LCD monitors? They are both
lighter and more energy efficient?

I have a 19 inch ViewSonic PF790 (middle to high end) old monitor that
still looks great. It is big and heavy, but that is not an issue. What
LCD monitor would match the picture and size of that monitor?

How much better is 24 over 22 inch? What are the usable screen
dimensions, width times height?

I've a 32" and use all of it. It's about three years old now. Set up
a hotkey to make it go 1W dormant with

Executor 0.9.7 (Build 0) Freeware

It's going to use more power than a 19" but I haven't hooked it up to
my Kill-A-Watt.
Old April 21st 09, 07:25 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
John Doe

New technology 120 hertz refresh rate LCD monitor.

The reviews are flattering, but whenever there are glowing reviews
about a new product technology, seems to me that they are effectively
saying "the old technology sucked" or "they solved one of the worst
problems about the old technology... more to come".

Old April 21st 09, 07:44 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Paul

John Doe wrote:

New technology 120 hertz refresh rate LCD monitor.

The reviews are flattering, but whenever there are glowing reviews
about a new product technology, seems to me that they are effectively
saying "the old technology sucked" or "they solved one of the worst
problems about the old technology... more to come".

There is a review here. This page comments about the 120Hz.

http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/mon...z_5.html#sect0

Paul
Old April 21st 09, 07:48 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
John Doe

Paul wrote:
John Doe wrote:

New technology 120 hertz refresh rate LCD monitor.

The reviews are flattering, but whenever there are glowing
reviews about a new product technology, seems to me that they are
effectively saying "the old technology sucked" or "they solved
one of the worst problems about the old technology... more to
come".

There is a review here. This page comments about the 120Hz.

http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/mon...z_5.html#sect0

Exactly... it sounds like they are saying "Wow, this LCD is
approaching CRT quality!"
Old April 24th 09, 02:04 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Eric

--
I have asked similar before, but LCD monitors are constantly improving
AFAIK.

TN, IPS, MVA, PVA, PSV - each of which has its own strengths and
weaknesses - Read about them here - Thin film transistor liquid
crystal display -
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TFT_LCD

Eric,
PC Buyer Beware!
http://www.pcbuyerbeware.co.uk/
Old April 30th 09, 11:37 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
John Doe

Then again... Maybe I just haven't looked at LCD monitors in too long.
Saw a low-end Samsung "N" type today, the viewing angle for that TN
type panel was not bad as I would have guessed.
Old May 1st 09, 03:29 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Mike Painter

John Doe wrote:
Then again... Maybe I just haven't looked at LCD monitors in too long.
Saw a low-end Samsung "N" type today, the viewing angle for that TN
type panel was not bad as I would have guessed.

My cheap Hanns-G shows a bright clear image to the side at a considerable
angle.

Old May 1st 09, 10:40 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
John Doe

Samsung T260HD