Old games no backward compatibility?

Old August 12th 04, 08:00 PM
EGK

Default Old games no backward compatibility?

I have an ATI Radon 9100 card. Certainly nowhere near the top of the heap.
I used to love the original Motoracer game and tried installing it on this
machine. It won't run at all. The whole screen is garbled so bad you can't
even see the options.
Is this the norm for games that are more then a few years old now? I think
Motoracer originally needed DX3 to run and only had a max resolution of
640x480. I even tried running it without D3d with no luck.

Anyone have tips on running older games like this or are they just trash? I
liked that original game much better than most of the recent versions.

"There would be a lot more civility in this world if people
didn't take that as an invitation to walk all over you"
- (Calvin and Hobbes)
Old August 12th 04, 10:29 PM
Laurence Wilmer

"EGK" wrote in message
I have an ATI Radon 9100 card. Certainly nowhere near the top of the

heap.
I used to love the original Motoracer game and tried installing it on this
machine. It won't run at all. The whole screen is garbled so bad you

can't
even see the options.
Is this the norm for games that are more then a few years old now? I

think
Motoracer originally needed DX3 to run and only had a max resolution of
640x480. I even tried running it without D3d with no luck.

Anyone have tips on running older games like this or are they just trash?

liked that original game much better than most of the recent versions.

Run many older games here on ATI 9000PRO AIW (mainly Settlers 2 and Grand
Prix Legends).

Never had any problems, but that may be due to sticking with W98SE and
avoiding XP.

Actually I did try a recent Catalyst 4.x when I saw mention that it was for
W98, but Settlers 2 didn't like it so I went straight back to Cat 3.10, no
problems anywhere.
So maybe try an earlier Cat driver - I keep incremental Ghost backups of C:
so as to always be able to go back on any "improvements" to software!.

HTH,

Laurence