Is AMD heat a problem?

Old February 1st 04, 06:49 AM
Henry Mydlarz

Default Is AMD heat a problem?

I am about to upgrade to an ASUS motherboard. At this stage I am after an
AMD type, the A7N8X-E Deluxe, but I am still concerned about the processor
heat, which I heard is more of a problem than on a Pentium. Does anyone have
any opinion on this, as far as general usage and as to what cooling should
be provided, both on the processor and from the case? Are there any cases or
fans I should avoid? If I get an AMD processor, can I stick with the
standard fan supplied in the boxed set? I have no plans to overclock
anything in the system.

Thank you for any information.

Henry

Old February 1st 04, 07:56 AM
BigBadger

Both the Pentium IV and the AMD Athlons produce a similar heat output. If
you are not overclocking the stock heatsink is just fine as long as you have
a case fan or two.

Old February 1st 04, 02:29 PM
Peter A. Stavrakoglou

"Ed" wrote in message
On Sun, 1 Feb 2004 17:49:25 +1100, "Henry Mydlarz"
wrote:

You need at least a 80mm rear case fan + the PSU fan(s), anything

less
then that and you're asking for over heat problems.

The only bad thing about AMD's heatsink is the noise, 60mm fan @
5000RPM 35db, give or take a few points.

AMD CPU & Heatsink Installation Guide
http://tinyurl.com/3ue5

Ed

Yesterday I replaced my Athlon 1700+ with a 2600+. I used the stock
fan that came with the new chip. I could not use the Zalman flower
heatsink I had on the 1700+ (too much heat with the 2600+) bit I am
pleasantly surprised at both the low noise level of the stock fan and
the fact that it has a copper core.

Old February 2nd 04, 03:11 PM
mrdancer

"Henry Mydlarz" wrote in message
u...
I am about to upgrade to an ASUS motherboard. At this stage I am after an
AMD type, the A7N8X-E Deluxe, but I am still concerned about the processor
heat, which I heard is more of a problem than on a Pentium. Does anyone

have
any opinion on this, as far as general usage and as to what cooling should
be provided, both on the processor and from the case? Are there any cases

or
fans I should avoid? If I get an AMD processor, can I stick with the
standard fan supplied in the boxed set? I have no plans to overclock
anything in the system.

Thank you for any information.

The AMD chips do run a bit hotter than the equivalent Pentium chips, but
only because they are doing more work per clock cycle. IOW, more work =
more heat, both chips have similar efficiency.

The hottest AMD (for its output) was the 1400 T-bird. The subsequent chips
(Athlon, Barton, etc.) run cooler for the amount of work they do. For
example, the 1400mhz T-bird puts out about 73.5W of heat, whereas a Barton
2500 (1853mhz) puts out around 68W of heat.

If you don't have a case yet, I highly recommend the Antec SLK3700AMB. It's
rather expensive (at $63 + $15 S/H at newegg.com), but you're getting an
excellent case and power supply for the money. The case utilizes two 120mm
fans (1xfront, 1xrear). The 120mm fans are nice because they offer optimum
cooling output relative to their noise output. I have this case and it is
quite quiet w/ two low-speed 120mm fans running.

Remember that many other components are generating heat inside your case.
Various drives, graphics processor, PSU, northbridge, southbridge, etc. are
all putting out heat. Heat around hard drives is critical because it can
shorten the life of the drive. The case mentioned above lets you mount the
hard drives directly behind the 120mm fan for optimum cooling.