Dell, Vista and Sonic's "Record Never"

Old March 1st 07, 12:38 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Ben Myers

Default Dell, Vista and Sonic's "Record Never"

A customer of mine bought a new Inspiron 1501 with Vista Home. Now Windows
Vista keeps reminding her the Sonic's DLA software is incompatible withVista and
that she has to get an update, which, of course, is unavailable from Dell.

Seems to me that I recall someone having trouble with the Sonic Record Now
shipped by Dell with Vista. Anybody know of any updates that will work with
Vista? It's pretty dimwitted of Michael to bundle incompatible versions of
software with computers running Vista. It looks like the high quality work he
used to do back in his dorm room is really slipping... Ben Myers
Old March 1st 07, 12:44 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Ben Myers

To answer my own question, here's where to get the Sonic DLA patch for Vista:

http://docs.roxio.com/patches/d2d3290.exe

.... Ben

Old March 1st 07, 12:48 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
journey

wrote:

It's pretty dimwitted of Michael to bundle incompatible versions of
software with computers running Vista. It looks like the high quality work he
used to do back in his dorm room is really slipping... Ben Myers

I am also getting this error on my new Inspiron 640m with Vista
Business. If I find a solution before someone else does I'll post it.
Fortunately I seldom use DLA, and I am actually grateful, as a Vista
early adopter, that I don't have 20 dialog boxes popping up. I have
had very few glitches with Vista, and my "base load" of software is
working very smoothly (oh oh, I've cursed myself now...).
Old March 1st 07, 01:06 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Ray

I had a similar problem and was advised by Roxio to remove Microsoft update
KB929427 as a work-around. This is an update to the "Windows Vista
Application Compatibility" program that runs at boot up. Roxio further
advised that they were working on a resolution to the issue. Is the patch
that you suggest, a permanent resolution?

Ray

Old March 1st 07, 03:28 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
journey

wrote:

A customer of mine bought a new Inspiron 1501 with Vista Home. Now Windows
Vista keeps reminding her the Sonic's DLA software is incompatible withVista and
that she has to get an update, which, of course, is unavailable from Dell.

Seems to me that I recall someone having trouble with the Sonic Record Now
shipped by Dell with Vista. Anybody know of any updates that will work with
Vista? It's pretty dimwitted of Michael to bundle incompatible versions of
software with computers running Vista. It looks like the high quality work he
used to do back in his dorm room is really slipping... Ben Myers

For those that don't want DLA, an uninstall / reinstall from the disk
that comes with the PC works fine. To not install DLA, just don't
reinstall drag to disk.

I never use drag to disk, and DLA has caused problems for me in the
past so this is an acceptable workaround. You can also choose not to
reinstall MyDVD if you don't use that.
Old March 1st 07, 03:39 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
journey

wrote:

I had a similar problem and was advised by Roxio to remove Microsoft update
KB929427 as a work-around. This is an update to the "Windows Vista
Application Compatibility" program that runs at boot up. Roxio further
advised that they were working on a resolution to the issue. Is the patch
that you suggest, a permanent resolution?

Ray

Here is a link to the Dell support page explaining the fix:

http://tinyurl.com/2xgfkj
Old March 1st 07, 05:22 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Sparky Spartacus

wrote:

[...]

That's my solution - I've had problems with DLA in the past, e.g.,
SGTRAY.exe won't terminate when I do a Windows shutdown. I have a copy
of Record Now I bought from Sonic a couple of years ago - it has no
option on whether or not it should install DLA, so the first thing I do
after installing Record Now is to go to Add/Remove Programs and
uninstall DLA (it's independent of RN, which I've used for years).
Old March 3rd 07, 04:18 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
journey

On 03 Mar 2007 03:24:31 GMT, Jim Lawson wrote:

I've been keeping a diary of my experience
with Vista on my blog and have since reinstalled the entire OS to resolve
a problem and get rid of the bundled Dell bits that I didn't want or
need.

http://blog.360.yahoo.com/blog-vbgL8...lm11BqaTz?p=30

My computer came lean and mean without many Dell bits. Before
installing _any_ software or drivers I check with the provider to
ensure that they are Vista compatible. Installing any webcam or other
software without knowing if they are Vista compatible is bound to
cause problems. Maybe the programs and drivers you installed were
Vista compatible -- that wasn't clear from your blog.
Old March 3rd 07, 04:26 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
journey

On 03 Mar 2007 03:24:31 GMT, Jim Lawson wrote:

I ended up uninstalling the bundled Roxio software and installing Nero 7
to resolve some other issues. I've been keeping a diary of my experience
with Vista on my blog and have since reinstalled the entire OS to resolve
a problem and get rid of the bundled Dell bits that I didn't want or
need.

http://blog.360.yahoo.com/blog-vbgL8...lm11BqaTz?p=30

I forgot to add, your blog is good and shows what a person would
encounter using Vista as the primary or only PC. For me, it's an OK
laptop OS because I can install my "productivity apps" just fine.