Processor advice

Old December 26th 06, 11:39 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
[email protected]

Default Processor advice

I have a Dimension 4300 1.5ghz and i'm thinking of upgrading if
possible. Does anyone know what kind of processor I'd need? Will it
need to be a specific one or can I just buy any?

Old December 27th 06, 12:12 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Tom Scales

wrote in message
oups.com...
I have a Dimension 4300 1.5ghz and i'm thinking of upgrading if
possible. Does anyone know what kind of processor I'd need? Will it
need to be a specific one or can I just buy any?

It is never worth it to upgrade the processor. If it isn't fast enough,
replace the computer

Old December 27th 06, 12:37 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Pen

Tom Scales wrote:
wrote in message
oups.com...
I have a Dimension 4300 1.5ghz and i'm thinking of upgrading if
possible. Does anyone know what kind of processor I'd need? Will it
need to be a specific one or can I just buy any?

It is never worth it to upgrade the processor. If it isn't fast enough,
replace the computer

Amen to that. The fastest processor you could use is only 2.0GHz, a
change you would barely notice.
Old December 27th 06, 12:38 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
[email protected]

Pen wrote:
Tom Scales wrote:
wrote in message
oups.com...
I have a Dimension 4300 1.5ghz and i'm thinking of upgrading if
possible. Does anyone know what kind of processor I'd need? Will it
need to be a specific one or can I just buy any?

It is never worth it to upgrade the processor. If it isn't fast enough,
replace the computer

Amen to that. The fastest processor you could use is only 2.0GHz, a
change you would barely notice.

Ok, thanks you two )

Old December 27th 06, 01:18 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
S.Lewis

wrote in message
ps.com...

Pen wrote:
Tom Scales wrote:
wrote in message
oups.com...
I have a Dimension 4300 1.5ghz and i'm thinking of upgrading if
possible. Does anyone know what kind of processor I'd need? Will it
need to be a specific one or can I just buy any?

It is never worth it to upgrade the processor. If it isn't fast
enough,
replace the computer

Amen to that. The fastest processor you could use is only 2.0GHz, a
change you would barely notice.

Ok, thanks you two )

Since we're piling on here, even adding a 2.6GHz/400FSB CPU to that system
wouldn't do much good; it features PC133 SDRAM and was the very last
Dimension model before the introduction of DDR SDRAM (Dimension 4400).

Heck, you could pick up a 4400, 4500/4550, or 8300 on ebay (tower only) for
anywhere from $150 to $400.......

fwiw

Stew

Old December 27th 06, 01:37 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Ben Myers

Let me voice some minor dissent to the other responses here.

IF the BIOS can support CPUs faster than 2GHz (a big IF) and it can support
Celerons (another BIG IF), and you can find an inexpensive Celeron, say, 2.5GHz
or faster (up to 2.8GHz) for maybe $30 or so, you would notice a reasonable
speed difference. These are BIG IFs, because I have not tried them myself.
Maybe somebody else has. In addition, the CPU MUST run with a 400MHz front
side bus, or it is pretty useless. This rules out the newer Celeron D
processors.

Before investing in a CPU, however, I would do a thorough hard drive and
registry cleanup, including defragging both after getting rid of all the really
stupid junk files left behind by the equally stupid and even more lazy software
developers who write software for Windows. Then, if the system does not
already have at least 512MB of memory, I would add memory, of course.

.... Ben Myers