Processor upgrade advice please?

Old September 5th 05, 04:07 PM
Brian

Default Processor upgrade advice please?

At the moment I have a GA-7N400 pro 2 mobo with nforce chipset 2 running
a Athlon XP2500+ barton processor. I would like to upgrade the processor
as new software and games are wanting more out of a processor. But I
don't know which one I should look at getting?

Should I get a AthlonXP 3200+(Barton,.13u) or should I get the K7
Sempron 3000+ or is there anything else on the market?

The mobo I have can run either but I don't know if it would need
flashing for the Athlonxp 3200+. But it will need to be updated for the
K7 Sempron?

what do you guys think?

cheers
Old September 5th 05, 05:44 PM
Marc Hulsebosch

Brian wrote:
At the moment I have a GA-7N400 pro 2 mobo with nforce chipset 2 running
a Athlon XP2500+ barton processor. I would like to upgrade the processor
as new software and games are wanting more out of a processor. But I
don't know which one I should look at getting?

Should I get a AthlonXP 3200+(Barton,.13u) or should I get the K7
Sempron 3000+ or is there anything else on the market?

The mobo I have can run either but I don't know if it would need
flashing for the Athlonxp 3200+. But it will need to be updated for the
K7 Sempron?

what do you guys think?

cheers

I would try overclocking first, and then go for the XP.

Marc
Old September 5th 05, 07:29 PM
BlastUK

hold out for a little longer then upgrade to amd 64, not worth
upgrading so little, the bartons still cost quite a bit anyways

Old September 5th 05, 07:31 PM
Brian

Marc Hulsebosch wrote:
Brian wrote:

At the moment I have a GA-7N400 pro 2 mobo with nforce chipset 2
running a Athlon XP2500+ barton processor. I would like to upgrade the
processor as new software and games are wanting more out of a
processor. But I don't know which one I should look at getting?

Should I get a AthlonXP 3200+(Barton,.13u) or should I get the K7
Sempron 3000+ or is there anything else on the market?

The mobo I have can run either but I don't know if it would need
flashing for the Athlonxp 3200+. But it will need to be updated for
the K7 Sempron?

what do you guys think?

cheers

I would try overclocking first, and then go for the XP.

Marc

I was going to try an overclock but I've never done it, do you know of a
web site on how to do it set it up for my mobo?

cheers
Old September 5th 05, 07:51 PM
Brian

BlastUK wrote:
hold out for a little longer then upgrade to amd 64, not worth
upgrading so little, the bartons still cost quite a bit anyways

I was going to look into that but on the gigabyte web site there doesn't
seem to be updates for the GA-7N400 pro2 nforce mobo and the AMD 64 yet....
Old September 5th 05, 10:04 PM
Michael Hawes

Brian wrote:

I was going to look into that but on the gigabyte web site there doesn't
seem to be updates for the GA-7N400 pro2 nforce mobo and the AMD 64

yet....

AMD64 will require new motherboard, but upgrade from XP2500 to XP3000
notworth the trouble for 33% increase, unless you get CPU at bargain price.
Mike.