Info on Epson Lawsuit and Alternatives for Ink?

Old April 12th 08, 06:09 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Arthur Entlich

Default Info on Epson Lawsuit and Alternatives for Ink?

Someone has asked me to post this on their behalf, as they are having
difficulty posting to the newsgroup without revealing their email
address, which they wish to avoid to lower spam issues.

I do not know this person, nor is anything within this posting my own
words. I am simply sending it under my name as a favor to this person
who requested I act at an intermediary.

Art

===============

I've used new Chinese made compatible cartridges in an Epson Stylus
600 successfully for years in USA.
Cost has been $2 per cartridge. Performance has been superior to
genuine Epson ink (fewer clogs, looks good). Superb product.

Now compatible cartridges are disappearing from suppliers due to
"Epson lawsuit." Can anyone post links to with articulate

description of "Epson lawsuit?"

Ford cannot force me to use Ford parts in my car. I am astounded
Epson can shut down an entire legal industry by threats. They could
not prevail if properly opposed in court, but the little companies
are apparently afraid to fight the 900 pound gorilla, or simply
cannot afford to fight the 900 pound gorilla.

So, what options do I have left? Using genuine Epson cartridges is
not an option. Printer will be trashed or given away if I cannot
find an alternative.

Apparently, neither ink nor cartridges can be sold as "Epson
compatible" without risk of abusive retaliation by Epson misusing

the legal.Can anyone offer an intelligent source for compatibles
or suggest which other brands of ink come closest to usable.
That is, what that's available will work even if it's not labeled
compatible. Recent poster said a non-technical friend had bought
generic ink at Staples or somewhere like it and had successfully
refilled and used cartridges from it. That's usually
bad advice per most here, but what are the real options?

I am not interested in hearing any opinions supporting factory ink
only. I will never buy another Epson product as long as I live. I
will never buy an inkjet for which I cannot get inexpensive ink.

Old April 12th 08, 07:45 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Stick Stickus[_4_]

If you have a Cartridge World outlet near you, I would suggest a visit.
They supply their own brand of Epson compatibile cartridges which I
understand will not be in conflict with Epson's legal stance. If you have
any original Epson cartridges they may be able to refill them for you or
even supply Prefilled originals for you.
Regards
Stick

Old April 12th 08, 01:47 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
DanG

The lawsuit actually only affects a few specific types of tanks, but this
has not stopped some suppliers from halting all sales. It does not appear to
affect the CIS systems, and those are still available everywhere. Compatible
tanks are still available too, if you take the time to look. Re-fillable
tanks are easy to find as well.

Old April 12th 08, 06:19 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
measekite

Arthur Entlich wrote:
Someone has asked me to post this on their behalf, as they are having
difficulty posting to the newsgroup without revealing their email
address, which they wish to avoid to lower spam issues.

I do not know this person, nor is anything within this posting my own
words. I am simply sending it under my name as a favor to this person
who requested I act at an intermediary.

Art

===============

So do you believe that?

I've used new Chinese made compatible cartridges in an Epson Stylus
600 successfully for years in USA.

Some have used toothpaste and others consumed dog food while kid play
with toys that have leaded paint.
Cost has been $2 per cartridge. Performance has been superior to
genuine Epson ink (fewer clogs, looks good). Superb product.

What a joke

Now compatible cartridges are disappearing from suppliers due to
"Epson lawsuit." Can anyone post links to with articulate

description of "Epson lawsuit?"

Epson is doing a great job

Ford cannot force me to use Ford parts in my car. I am astounded
Epson can shut down an entire legal industry by threats.

These are patent violators
They could
not prevail if properly opposed in court, but the little companies
are apparently afraid to fight the 900 pound gorilla, or simply
cannot afford to fight the 900 pound gorilla.

I have a bridge in Brooklyn to sell

So, what options do I have left?

Buy good OEM ink
Using genuine Epson cartridges is
not an option. Printer will be trashed or given away if I cannot
find an alternative.

Get a lexmark

Apparently, neither ink nor cartridges can be sold as "Epson
compatible" without risk of abusive retaliation by Epson misusing

That is good

the legal.Can anyone offer an intelligent source for compatibles
or suggest which other brands of ink come closest to usable.

Look at Pantone
That is, what that's available will work even if it's not labeled
compatible.

That is just a word. There is no such thing.

Of course this guy wants to hide his email address.
Recent poster said a non-technical friend had bought
generic ink at Staples or somewhere like it and had successfully
refilled and used cartridges from it. That's usually
bad advice per most here, but what are the real options?

I am not interested in hearing any opinions supporting factory ink
only.

Too good of advice huh
I will never buy another Epson product as long as I live.

Good
will never buy an inkjet for which I cannot get inexpensive ink.

Go get a bird and pull the feathers out and grind up some coal and water
and use that.

So this is what the holier than thou promotes.

Old April 12th 08, 06:21 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
measekite

Stick Stickus wrote:
If you have a Cartridge World outlet near you, I would suggest a visit.
They supply their own brand of Epson compatibile cartridges

It is not compatible. Epson ink is superior
which I
understand will not be in conflict with Epson's legal stance. If you have
any original Epson cartridges they may be able to refill them for you or
even supply Prefilled originals for you.
Regards
Stick

snip
Old April 12th 08, 06:24 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
measekite

Stryker wrote:
Hence... this is why after many years of being a loyal Epson user I
have decided to switch to Canon.... I bought a brand new Canon Pixma
ip6000D on Ebay... it is a non chipped printer... I can get compatible
cartridges for it for less than $1.00 each.

You no longer have a Canon designed and engineered printer
All Epson did was screw the customers and in turn... screwed themselves.

They saved many customers from the disadvantages of crap ink and
possibly screwing up their printer.
People are are starting to go with Canon printers now... because

at least in the standard and wide (17") format they are better.
a Canon can do anything an Epson can do...

It is obvious this person does not know what they are talking about even
though I like Canon better. In the US Canon cannot print directly on
CD/DVD.
only better and cheaper.

Stryker

Old April 12th 08, 06:25 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
measekite

DanG wrote:
The lawsuit actually only affects a few specific types of tanks, but this
has not stopped some suppliers from halting all sales.

The smart ones who know they are in violation

Old April 12th 08, 10:48 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
[email protected]

Try to get a older Canon like a IP4000...easy to refill and
compatibles are also available.
Old April 13th 08, 04:06 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Taliesyn

Stryker wrote:

a Canon can do anything an Epson can do...

It is obvious this person does not know what they are talking about
even though I like Canon better. In the US Canon cannot print
directly on CD/DVD.

I know exactly what I am talking about... What the hell are you talking
about measkite? ... of course a Canon can print directly on CD/DVD ...
where do you get your dumbass info from?

Stryker

Yes, of course it can. I bought my adapter kit for my Canon iP5000 and
iP4000 to print on CD/DVDs on eBay from a seller in Buffalo, NY. Last I
checked that was in the US. Anyone with a Canon "can" print on CD/DVDs
if they want it to.

-Taliesyn
Old April 13th 08, 05:43 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Tony[_2_]

Taliesyn wrote:
Stryker wrote:

a Canon can do anything an Epson can do...
It is obvious this person does not know what they are talking about
even though I like Canon better. In the US Canon cannot print
directly on CD/DVD.

I know exactly what I am talking about... What the hell are you talking
about measkite? ... of course a Canon can print directly on CD/DVD ...
where do you get your dumbass info from?

Stryker

Yes, of course it can. I bought my adapter kit for my Canon iP5000 and
iP4000 to print on CD/DVDs on eBay from a seller in Buffalo, NY. Last I
checked that was in the US. Anyone with a Canon "can" print on CD/DVDs
if they want it to.

-Taliesyn

I spent an awful half day in Buffalo (not Buffalo's fault) a few years ago and
I can testify that I was in the US. The next two days were spent at Niagara
Falls (Canadian side), just fabulous and I can testify that I was in Canada,
confirmed by Canadian immigration. Nice people too I must say.
Tony