Kodak re-enters inkjet biz

Old February 8th 07, 11:06 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Arthur Entlich

Default Kodak re-enters inkjet biz

Some of you may recall that years ago, Kodak brand inkjet printers were
on the market. They were actually rebranded HP models with some
firmware changes.

Well, Kodak is introducing three new "all in one" printer models today,
and I suspect they are not being made by one of the major inkjet
manufacturers, because Kodak is taking the currently used business
model, and turning the clock back to the old days of cheap ink and only
slightly more costly printers. Whether this will lead the charge toward
a decline in other OEM ink cartridges is hard to tell. I suppose it all
depends upon how well received the hardware becomes.

The new "all in one models" sell for $150, $200 and $300 US (list). They
use a permanent thermal ink head with 3840 nozzles. They use two ink
cartridges, a five color (CcMmY) and a black cartridge. The ink head is
thermal (like Canon, HP and Lexmark) and the inks are Kodak's own and
are pigment. They claim the inks provide a wider gamut than wet lab prints.

The interesting part is the cost of the cartridges. The black cartridge
is $10 and the five-color one is $15US (list). Kodak claims that the
cost is about half that of other OEMs for the same amount of ink or
yield. They also claim the cost of producing a 4x6 borderless print is
now under 10 cents US inclusive of glossy paper. With these printers,
Kodak is introducing new papers using microporous technology for
"instant dry" capability.

The permanence and other qualities of the prints are a bit vague in the
news releases, but words like "lifetime" and "normal home display
conditions" are being used.

Personally, I applaud a new player on the scene, and one that is pushing
to reverse the trend of more and more costly inks supplies. No word on
if the cartridges are "chipped", how long the 'permanent' head will
last, nor if the permanent head is replaceable and at what cost if it is.

Art
Old February 8th 07, 03:57 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
measekite

Arthur Entlich wrote:
Some of you may recall that years ago, Kodak brand inkjet printers
were on the market. They were actually rebranded HP models with some
firmware changes.

Well, Kodak is introducing three new "all in one" printer models
today, and I suspect they are not being made by one of the major
inkjet manufacturers, because Kodak is taking the currently used
business model, and turning the clock back to the old days of cheap
ink and only slightly more costly printers. Whether this will lead
the charge toward a decline in other OEM ink cartridges is hard to
tell. I suppose it all depends upon how well received the hardware
becomes.

I suggested this before that it was possible to sell ink for less and at
the same time only raise the price of printer a small amount. Today the
wide format printers sell for more (more than they really should) and
the ink is still high.

The good think here is that is the first volley at the relabelers. If
this becomes the new business model than Good By Relabelers.

The new "all in one models" sell for $150, $200 and $300 US (list).
They use a permanent thermal ink head with 3840 nozzles. They use two
ink cartridges, a five color (CcMmY) and a black cartridge. The ink
head is thermal (like Canon, HP and Lexmark) and the inks are Kodak's
own and are pigment. They claim the inks provide a wider gamut than
wet lab prints.

The bad part here is when one color is gone the entire cart is gone.

The interesting part is the cost of the cartridges. The black
cartridge is $10 and the five-color one is $15US (list). Kodak claims
that the cost is about half that of other OEMs for the same amount of
ink or yield. They also claim the cost of producing a 4x6 borderless
print is now under 10 cents US inclusive of glossy paper. With these
printers, Kodak is introducing new papers using microporous technology
for "instant dry" capability.

The permanence and other qualities of the prints are a bit vague in
the news releases, but words like "lifetime" and "normal home display
conditions" are being used.

Personally, I applaud a new player on the scene,

Me too. I hope Canon just raises the price of the standard format
printer by $25 to $50 street price and lowers the price of the wide
format printer by a like amount (those are already too high) and then
sells the ink carts for around $5.00. and maybe a somewhat larger size
as well. Having a larger carts will lower their costs (packaging,
shipping, and warehousing) and help enable them to do this.

Old February 8th 07, 07:18 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Bob Headrick

"Yianni" wrote in message
Just for my curiocity, what method does this printer use for cleaning the
printhead? It uses any type of pump, or like HP printers without a pump?

It is not quite true that HP printers do not have a pump. The fixed or
semipermanant models all use a pump, but the recent models differ in what
they do with the ink they pump for servicing. Unlike printers that just
dump the ink into a large "diaper" in the bottom of the printer, the
permanent printhead machines HP introduced in the last year or so
recirculate the ink. Some models of printers (from those other guys) can
use half the ink or more for servicing, depending on print frequency. See
the chart in the middle of
http://www.hp.com/pageyield/articles...cyArticle.html, which
compares the ink used for continuous printing vs. that used for more normal
printing of a few pages at a time with rest periods between print jobs.

Some of the older DeskJet type printers had a small pump to aid in the
priming function. These included the DeskJet 850 and 870 series.

Regards,
Bob Headrick, MS MVP Printing/Imaging

Old February 9th 07, 07:27 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Ron Baird

Greetings Measekit,

There is a lot more to the innovations coming from Kodak than changes in
printer and ink costs. These new printer and ink products represent the
fruition of 5 years of research and development, easily 100 million or more.

It was always my belief that Kodak paper provided excellent results. If the
driver for your particular printer was changed to the settings found by
Kodak Engineers in Kodak labs, the results were much better. In most cases
they used less ink. When a particular printer was released, i.e. Canon,
Epson, HP, etc. it was purchased and used in our Kodak test labs to
determine which driver settings would provide the best possible results with
a given Kodak paper in that printer when using the makers ink. We do a lot
of research to this end and include it on our inkjet web page. This results
in extremely good results to Kodak customers. Since the feature is a
download, when you have EasyShare software installed, the download would
activate a special feature when the Print At Home option was used.

http://www.kodak.com/go/inkjet

I have used these new products and find them amazing, of course :-) In
truth, they are amazing, and the results are excellent. You can get them wet
without worry.

Also, Kodak papers use Micropore technology, as well. These have been on the
market for some time now so any of the papers you see that have 'Photo' on
them have that technology. The new printers can auto determine which Kodak
paper you are using and will adjust itself so you get the best possible
results with that paper. Nice feature.

The head used in the printer should last the life of the printer unless it
is damaged, which would be unlikely. It is replaceable.

Talk to you soon, Measekit, I should be around.

Ron Baird
Eastman Kodak Company

"measekite" wrote in message
. net...

Old February 10th 07, 11:48 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
TJ

Ron Baird wrote:
Greetings Measekit,

Talk to you soon, Measekit, I should be around.

Ron Baird
Eastman Kodak Company

Not much point. He'll just question your motives for posting here and
your veracity, and he won't believe anything that Canon, PC Mag, PC
World, or Wilhelm don't tell him to believe.

TJ

Old February 11th 07, 01:46 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Arthur Entlich

Just as a quick comment, if it weren't for the 3rd party ink suppliers
nothing would have kept the OEM consumables into check. They forced the
OEMs to restrain from going any further in the price diversity. Yes,
for the most part they spent a lot of energy and cash trying to close
down the 3rd party suppliers, but now that Kodak is , as an OEM breaking
the business model, we can hope the whole market recognizes the
advantage of charging more for the printers and lowering consumable prices.

I'm looking forward to seeing where Kodak takes this.

Art

Ron Baird wrote:

[...]

"measekite" wrote in message
. net...

Old February 11th 07, 02:12 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
DRS

"Arthur Entlich" wrote in message

[...]

The new "all in one models" sell for $150, $200 and $300 US (list).

[...]

The interesting part is the cost of the cartridges. The black
cartridge is $10 and the five-color one is $15US (list). Kodak claims
that the
cost is about half that of other OEMs for the same amount of ink or
yield.

I'll be most interested to see the independent reviews. I don't suppose
there's any A3 models?

Old February 11th 07, 03:23 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
measekite

Everyone knows he works for Kodak and he freely admits that not like the
shills.

TJ wrote:
Greetings Measekit,

Old February 11th 07, 03:32 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
measekite

Arthur Entlich wrote:
Just as a quick comment, if it weren't for the 3rd party ink suppliers
nothing would have kept the OEM consumables into check. They forced
the OEMs to restrain from going any further in the price diversity.

They reached the point of charging what the market will bear. The
impact of the relabelers is not highly regarded in their decision since
most people will not compare apples with oranges.

Ron Baird wrote:

[...]

"measekite" wrote in message
. net...

Old February 11th 07, 06:02 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
DK

I really like the idea of getting all new nozzles when I get a new
cartridge. Kodak does NOT give you new nozzles with ink.

So how will Kodak handle the nozzles getting clogged?

On Thu, 08 Feb 2007 11:06:24 GMT, Arthur Entlich
wrote:

[...]

Epson Clossy vs. Kodak Ultima paper george Printers 4 October 12th 06 10:07 PM
Best off-brandname Inkjet Refill Kit Roland Marsey Printers 17 August 2nd 04 01:20 AM
Kodak Soft Gloss Picture Paper for inkjet printers Ray K Printers 14 May 28th 04 01:55 PM
kodak inkjet? news Printers 2 October 22nd 03 01:51 AM
kodak inkjet? news Printers 0 October 22nd 03 01:21 AM