Epson printers are electronic theieves

Old October 10th 05, 02:33 AM
Dave Froble

Dr. Dweeb wrote:
Gentlemen,

I have reached the conclusion that the Epson corporation is both incompetant
and corrupt. Someone should sue their scrawny little asses.

I have an RX500 - a high end combi-device.

Today, the reading on my black ink cartridge hit zero, while the other 5
read between 23-28%
I replaced the black cartridge with a 3rd party product from Gold-Ink.

After installation the printer informed me that it was loading the ink.

I decided to print the test page.

Failure - and worse.

1: "The ink cartridge is different from Epson blah blah blah" message. This
will now appear EVERY time I try to print !!!!!!!!!!
2: The device reset all 5 other cartridges to 0%
3: The device has the black cartridge now pegged at 83%, despite not yet
having printed 1 character

Because the other 5 cartridges now MUST be replaced I still cannot print and
I am REALLY ****ed off. Check how much 6 cartridges (even of alternative
branbd) ink costs - this is an expensive exercise.

The audacity of these assholes to pull this sort of stunt amazes me. It is
both amoral and illegal. There is no technical reason for what has
happenned to me - it is just punishment for installing a non-Epson
cartridge - something I believe is my commercial right.

I mean, how much money do I have to spend on cartridges before I give up ?
Is an ERROR message at EVERY print job even marginally apprpriate ?

Where do I get my money back ??

Dr. Dweeb

Maybe your next printer should ba a laser printer, not an inkjet. If
you need color, such exist. Myself, I will never purchase another
inkjet type printer. (Or take a free one.)

When selecting a printer, be sure to check out the cost of replacement
parts, toner, drum, and such. Also check out the tech support. Stay
away from the companys where you have to pay to talk to tech support.

The above suggestions were obtained through trial and much error.
Printer companies are at the top of my permanant s**t list.

--
David Froble Tel: 724-529-0450
Dave Froble Enterprises, Inc. Fax: 724-529-0596
Old October 10th 05, 03:03 AM
measekite

Tony wrote:

"Dr. Dweeb" wrote:

[...]

Terrible practice I agree.
Have you tried using the driver software to change all the cartridges again but
using the *same* cartrdiges? I have seen this work. You need to change one
cartridge at a time. It will not work from the printer so you have to do it
from the maintenance/service or whatever tab in the printer driver and choose
to replace the cartridge early.
Tony

TONY DA TIGER IS IN DA BUSINESS $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
Old October 10th 05, 03:05 AM
measekite

YEAH, OEM INK WORKS GREAT. NO CLEANINGS IN A YEAR WITH THE IP4000

Davy wrote:

[[quote:6888597503]quote="Peter 'EPLAN' Try CANON...
[/quote:6888597503]

Well said Sir...!

I have had the ip5000 about 4 months and not one single problem or
manual nozzle clean yet, I can print and forget, with the Epsons I
had to check each prints even text docs. for flaws.

Canon uses ink where Epson wastes ink, plus fact you can see the ink
in the Canon's and they'er not chipped.

Davy

Old October 10th 05, 03:08 AM
measekite

Anna Daptor wrote:

"JF Mezei" wrote in message

Tony wrote:

Have you tried using the driver software to change all the cartridges
again but
using the *same* cartrdiges? I have seen this work.

EPSON cartridges can only be inserted into te printer once. If you take
a brand new cartridge, put it in printer, then take it out and put it
back it, it will indicate 0 even though it is full.

No it won't. Epson carts have a chip that remembers the ink level so you
*can* take them out of the printer and it'll know how much ink is in the
cart when you replace it.

You need to
electronically reset the cartridge so it thinks it was never inserted
into a printer before.

That's true if you've refilled the cart.

GREAT

Old October 10th 05, 03:09 AM
measekite

Anna Daptor wrote:

"Dr. Dweeb" wrote in message
.dk...

Gentlemen,

I have reached the conclusion that the Epson corporation is both
incompetant and corrupt. Someone should sue their scrawny little asses.

I have an RX500 - a high end combi-device.

Today, the reading on my black ink cartridge hit zero, while the other 5
read between 23-28%
I replaced the black cartridge with a 3rd party product from Gold-Ink.

After installation the printer informed me that it was loading the ink.

I decided to print the test page.

Failure - and worse.

1: "The ink cartridge is different from Epson blah blah blah" message.
This will now appear EVERY time I try to print !!!!!!!!!!

So? That's no Epsons fault that the 3rd party inks you fitted don't identify
themselves correctly it is?

2: The device reset all 5 other cartridges to 0%

Again, not exactly Epsons fault that 3rd party inks screwed up your ink
level settings.

[snip]

THATS RIGHT BUT IT IS GREAT. A NICE LESSON LEARNED.

Old October 10th 05, 03:10 AM
measekite

Shooter wrote:

This discussion now brings up again that Epson will not honour a warranty
claim if third party ink is used or can be proved to be used.

WHY SHOULD THEY LOOSE MONEY BECAUSE SOME WHORE CLOGGED THE PRINTHEAD.

it is my
opinion that if they do not state plainly that other ink can not be used
then in the UK there could be room for litigation for misrepresentation as a
buyer is buying only a printer and is not and should not be tied to OEM ink.
Any views on this.

Old October 10th 05, 03:11 AM
measekite

Dr. Dweeb wrote:

Anna Daptor wrote:

"JF Mezei" wrote in message

Tony wrote:

Have you tried using the driver software to change all the
cartridges again but
using the *same* cartrdiges? I have seen this work.

EPSON cartridges can only be inserted into te printer once. If you
take a brand new cartridge, put it in printer, then take it out and
put it back it, it will indicate 0 even though it is full.

No it won't. Epson carts have a chip that remembers the ink level so
you *can* take them out of the printer and it'll know how much ink is
in the cart when you replace it.

I am not certain who is correct here, though I have seen others than JF
mention this somewhere else IIRC.

The printer "decided" that the cartridge was empty rather arbitrarily - the
final page printed flawlessly. The % full for the colours seems to dive
pretty rapidly, even when the only colour printed was some trivial 10 pixel
logo.

I think it is a giant scheme of deceit and lies and I am really mad about
it.

Sadly, like almost everything else in the computer world, no one gives a FF.
and there is no where to lodge a complaint. Well maybe there is - I will
try during the week to harass support here and see what happens. I predict
abject failure.

Dr. Dweeb

You need to
electronically reset the cartridge so it thinks it was never inserted
into a printer before.

That's true if you've refilled the cart.

I AM ENJOYING THIS THREAD IMMENSELY
Old October 10th 05, 03:12 AM
measekite

Anna Daptor wrote:

"Shooter" wrote in message

This discussion now brings up again that Epson will not honour a warranty
claim if third party ink is used or can be proved to be used.

Since when? There's *nothing* stopping anybody using 3rd party inks in Epson
or any other printer. Epson are just employing scare tactics in an attempt
at ensuring their cash cow. Using 3rd party inks has no baring on any
warranty claims.

THERE IS NOTHING STOPPING ANYONE FROM BEING A FOOL.

Old October 10th 05, 05:50 AM
Jeff Cameron

In a world where Gasoline prices are rising, but is still less than bottled
water, here are some comparative prices of liquids.
Items $/gallon
Gasoline $ 3.00
Milk $ 2.99
Coca-Cola $ 2.84
Gatorade $ 5.20
Evian Water $ 5.60
Orange Juice $ 6.64
Crisco Oil $ 7.44
Perrier Water $ 8.16
Snapple $ 10.32
Scope Mouthwash $ 27.20
Lemon Oil $ 27.22
Olive Oil $ 51.04
Shampoo $ 40.44
Real Maple Syrup $ 57.08
Jack Daniel's Bourbon $ 101.12
Visine Eye Drops $ 995.84
Nasacort Nasal Spray $2,615.28
Printer ink $8,895.72

Calculation based on HP Ink jet cartridge number 58, which contains
17 ml of black ink at the typical list price of $39.95.

All prices are in US dollars, and are subject to change...
Jeff Cameron

Reference: http://www.vpcga.com/i4a/pages/index.cfm?pageid=152

On 10/9/05 9:33 AM, in article
, "Dr. Dweeb"