Overall reddish prints

Old June 23rd 05, 09:13 AM
zakezuke

Actually, Zake, for me it is sufficient to "eyeball" it. As long as I like
the print I am a happy camper. I am doing it solely for my own enjoyment.
That is why the term "exact" becomes an abstract concept for my printing
needs.

Some of us are not so blessed with color eyeballs :P

Shockingly enough, some of these base solutions are the foundation for
exacting standards. Somewhere I found the plans for a simple ice in a
stryfoam cup and describes the spot at which the water can exist as a
gas, a liquid, and a solid coined the tripple point, which ends up
being a far more precise method than more costly existing calibration
methods.

Actually i'm surprised there isn't something on the market that would
make use of color charts, scanners, and through scanning output make a
reccomendation for either a slide adjustment or a sRGB curve. Simple
enough technique, very common tool, would be very useful and provide a
meter rather than having to eyeball it.

Old June 23rd 05, 04:15 PM
Shooter

What, you are saying you don't use OEM paper after all your thousands of
remarks about OEM.

"measekite" wrote in message
m...

bmoag wrote:

That overall pink cast often means color matching is being applied more

than
once in your printing chain.
Canon's protocols for printing with Photoshop are not straightforward and
even if you understand how to use them you will soon realize that they

are
terrible anyway.

Photoshop and my Canon IP4000 using OEM ink and Costco/Kirkland Glossy
Photo Paper do a great job and produce fantastic results.

The easiest way to print with Canon is to throw the Canon printer away

and
buy an Epson.

Bull****

If that is not practical when you are in print preview in Photoshop set

the
"Profile" setting for Printer Color Management. Then set the Canon driver
for the paper type and for photographic quality (or you can experiment

with
some other settings on the other driver tabs). The print preview should

be
in approximately correct color. Alas, Canon printer drivers being what

they
are, the final print will not likely resemble this as closely as it

should.

Old June 23rd 05, 05:11 PM
Satoshi

I found this morning that there were too many responses to my question.
Here is my response to bmoag

The easiest way to print with Canon is to throw the Canon printer away and
buy an Epson

In the past I used a few Epson printers. I love Epson printers but because
of its persistent clogging, I dumped Epson and bought Canon printers.
If you recommend an Epson printer which does not clog, I love to buy one.

Regarding printing matter, it does not matter whether I use Photoshop, Corel
Draw, or Irfanvuew, their printing patterns are the same.
So long as I set "Plain Paper" mode, no problem If I set to photopaper,
glossy, or high resolution paper mode, PM ink flows too much.

Thanks. Satoshi

"bmoag" wrote in message
That overall pink cast often means color matching is being applied more
than once in your printing chain.
Canon's protocols for printing with Photoshop are not straightforward and
even if you understand how to use them you will soon realize that they are
terrible anyway.

..

Old June 23rd 05, 05:26 PM
measekite

Satoshi wrote:

I found this morning that there were too many responses to my question.
Here is my response to bmoag

The easiest way to print with Canon is to throw the Canon printer away and
buy an Epson

In the past I used a few Epson printers. I love Epson printers but because
of its persistent clogging, I dumped Epson and bought Canon printers.
If you recommend an Epson printer which does not clog, I love to buy one.

All of the printers can clog but especially with AfterMarket Ink.

.

Old June 23rd 05, 05:29 PM
Satoshi

Burt,

I try your suggestion today.
I will let you know later.

Regards,

Satoshi

"Burt" wrote in message
Satoshi - The two light dye load inks, photo magenta and photo cyan, are
used up faster than the other inks under normal circumstances when
printing most photos. I have a Canon i960 and especially with pictures
that have people with skin tones that are more red than average I either
adjust the overall intensity to -4 or -6, or I adjust the magenta to a
minus value that gives the best print. I have seen one post that
suggested -7 setting for Magenta. Do not use the two higher quality paper
settings - stay with the glossy photo paper setting as you described.
Print all pictures in manual color setting. I found that the automatic
setting came up very red. You may or may not have to adjust the intensity
or magenta as described above. I use photoshop elements 2 and calibrated
my monitor with the adobe gamma program. When I first bought the printer
I played with various settings and papers to get the best color balance to
my eye. When I started using non-OEM inks I redid my tests and found that
the test prints were comparable to the OEM inks with every combination of
settings and papers. I presently use Costco Kirkland glossy photo paper
with an aftermarket ink and the settings I described above. Someone else
answered your post with the suggestion that you may have more than one
software program trying to adjust your colors. If the settings I
suggested don't help[ then that may be your problem.

"Satoshi" wrote in message
I am printing outdoor pictures on Canon i950 using Canon Glossy Photo
Paper. On screen, pictures were sharp and great. When printed, pictures
were reddish overall. Black stuff came out purple on prints. (All
pictures were taken with Sony 5 MP digicam.). I don't see any problem
with camera and screen color.

Using Photoshop, I tried to change the color balance: I changed color
level from red to cyan ( to the level of cyan -60). Printed pictures
were still reddish, though less reddish this time. I am wondering what
is the problem? Should I change magenta ink cartridge or print head?
Need your help. Satoshi

Old June 23rd 05, 06:16 PM
Satoshi

Hi Measekite

Photoshop and my Canon IP4000 using OEM ink and Costco/Kirkland Glossy
Photo Paper do a great job and produce fantastic results.

I am tempted to purchase IP4000 as you described here. Another poster
mentined i9900.
Do you have any opinion on i9900?
I am thinking about buying ip4000 or i9900 this weekend.
Your advise would be appreciated.

Regards,
Satoshi

Old June 23rd 05, 06:23 PM
Frank

measekite wrote:

All of the printers can clog but especially with AfterMarket Ink.

Says who? Based on what proof? Certainly nothing you've experienced as
you have never used after market inks.
You have an ax to grind but nothing to grind it against except this ng.
Try grinding it against you head, as it appears to hard enough.
Frank
Old June 23rd 05, 06:26 PM
Frank

measekite wrote:

Paper cannot clog the printhead.

Brilliant statemment. You must be a mental giant.
So that leaves oem or after market inks can clog printheads correct?.
Frank
Old June 23rd 05, 07:43 PM
measekite

The IP9900 is a wide format printer while the IP4000 is a Letter Size
printer. The IP9900 is a pure photo printer using 8 colors. It is
widely regarded as the best of its kind. The tests in PC Mag won it
editors choice.

So if you would like to print large photos up to 13x19 this is the best
choice.

You still will be able to print an occassional business document and it
will look ok.

The IP4000 is a member of the PIXMA line. This is a dual purpose photo
printer that prints very good business documents and has twin paper feed
trays and print duplex ( 2 sides automatically. So if you need these
features and print business documents then this should be your choice
but you enlargements will be limited to 8.5x11.

If your purpose is real heavy on business documents then you might want
to look at the IP5000. This printer is like the IP4000 but prints
business document using 1pl and is better at business documents and
almost as good as the IP4000 for photos.

The IP9000 will clearly provide you with the best quality results.

Hi Measekite