HP C5280 can't print photos properly, HP can't fix, any suggestions?

Old April 11th 08, 07:52 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers,misc.consumers
Richard Steinfeld[_2_]

Default HP C5280 can't print photos properly, HP can't fix, any suggestions?

Bob Headrick wrote:

You say you have cleaned the cartridges - I presume you did this from
the control panel or computer toolbox? If so you might try cleaning the
cartridge contacts as shown at:
http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport...ectID=bpa02060
(this is a different issue for a different cartridge set, but the
cleaning may address the issue). I would do all the steps in the
"Wiping the cartridge contacts" section.

It would also help to see a nozzle diagnostic test. If you can print a
nozzle diagnostic, scan it and email it to me at , I
will take a look at it and make further suggestions.

Hi, Bob.

First question: can I expect to obtain good snapshot-grade color prints
from my two-cartridge HP Photosmart 1115 printer?

I want to mention a refinement of the printer's own "cartridge cleaning"
routine. I refilled a genuine HP color cartridge with OE ink from a
different HP cartridge that I'd scavenged. I understand that the ink
formulation is the same. The cartridge that I filled had been sitting
"empty" for a time. It worked fine initially, but two colors clogged
badly later. I use the printer often. All the cleaning routines in the
printer software failed, including "prime." So did soaking the head on a
paper towel with warm distilled water.

I then used a priming sucker that comes in ink refill kits from InkTec
and IColor. Presto: the cartridge's been working perfectly for a few
weeks. The device is a frame with a rubber coupler at the bottom into
which you insert a medical syringe. You insert the cartridge, then apply
suction by pulling back on the syringe plunger.

I have seen this device sold elsewhere by one or two on-line people who
sell ink refill supplies.

After Bob described the typical coating on HP's print head contacts, I
have cleaned my contacts and then applied fluid from some 20-year-old
electronic contact cleaner/lube compound that includes a very light oil.
I expect that this will work as nicely as it does in stereo equipment.

Finally, I don't think that HP's the company that it was, for example,
when I worked on a project to develop software for HP that tracked
world-wide after-sale customer problems (!) For one thing, someone like
you, Jonathan, has to pay the cost of acquiring Compaq.

And someone like you, Jonathan, must do his duty to contribute to the
severance package of the CEO. Although I was never an HP employee, I
appreciate your support of American industry ("The business of America
is Business.") I thank you from the bottom of my heart for doing your
patriotic duty. Wiping the tears from my eyes, I remain, a humble and
obediant servant of BushMerica,

Richard