Radeon 9600XT Rebooting my computer

Old December 31st 03, 02:44 PM
jwoolley

Default Radeon 9600XT Rebooting my computer

Hi,

I just installed a Saphire Radeon 9600XT in my system. I removed the old
drivers, and installed the latest Catalyst drivers from ATI's website. I am
now experiencing problems with the graphics card as whenever I try to play a
game the computer suddenly reboots itself. The games I have tried are IGI2
(the computer reboots when the 'loading' progress bar gets to about half
way) and Counter-Strike (which I got by using the cd key that came bundled
with the card) which doesn't get past the title screen before the computer
reboots.

If i disable automatic rebooting, the blue screens tend to blame the files
win32k.sys and ati2dvag.dll, and sometimes ati3duag.dll. The errors are
something like PAGE_FAULT_IN_UNPAGED_AREA and IRQL_DRIVER_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL.

I have tried the newest and some older VIA Hyperion drivers, but this seems
to make no difference. My event viewer only tells me that hl.exe or igi2.exe
crashed.

Underclocking the graphics card using Rage 3D seems to make the system more
stable, with less blue screens, and games crash to the desktop rather than
reboot my computer.

Thanks for any help!

Win XP Pro
512MB PC2700 RAM
Athlon XP1800+ (1.53GHz)
Asus A7V333
Radeon 9600XT

Old December 31st 03, 07:47 PM
mr_buggerlugs

hi there...

PAGE_FAULT_IN_UNPAGED_AREA gave it away, as i'd been having that
problem for a few weeks. I bet your pc works perfectly apart from
rebooting too eh?

my guess is your PSU is unable to provide enough power to your pc now
you have added the new graphics card.

I suggest you download motherboard monitor and check your 3.3, 5v and
12v rails. If either are out by more than 5% you need a better specced
PSU which is a doddle to fit and should solve your rebooting issue.

Old December 31st 03, 10:16 PM
Ronald Cole

"jwoolley" writes:
[...]

Had a nasty BSOD problem with a 9700Pro... Eventually the card failed
to the point that I couldn't boot into anything higher than VGA mode.
Replaced the card and everythings worked fine since.

Ronald Cole Phone: (760) 499-9142
President, CEO Fax: (760) 499-9152
Old January 1st 04, 02:11 AM
Gray

"Ronald Cole" wrote in message
"jwoolley" writes:
[...]

I have the P4PE MB and the Radeon 9000 but, these are some of the same
errors I'm getting
since I updated my drivers! I've tried several different things, including
adding a fan that blows
right on the card. The only things I have changed on my system was a month
ago I swapped out a
CD Rom to a DVD/R/RW ran fine for almost a month till I updated my video
drivers! Now I constantly
get the ati2dvag.dll error and the others you mention. The system was rock
solid for the 8 months before
this update. If I may ask .. you said you replaced your card what card did
you replace it with? and is it
still working right? As I'm about out of ideas on other things to try, I'm
planning on just getting a different
card for now!

Old January 2nd 04, 02:04 AM
Ronald Cole

"Gray" writes:
Had a nasty BSOD problem with a 9700Pro... Eventually the card failed
to the point that I couldn't boot into anything higher than VGA mode.
Replaced the card and everythings worked fine since.

If I may ask .. you said you replaced your card what card did you
replace it with? and is it still working right?

Same make and model. And still working properly.

Old January 1st 04, 05:27 AM
singa_lvr

On Wed, 31 Dec 2003 13:16:57 -0800, Ronald Cole
wrote:

Had a nasty BSOD problem with a 9700Pro... Eventually the card failed
to the point that I couldn't boot into anything higher than VGA mode.
Replaced the card and everythings worked fine since.

Expensive card to replace .....

Old January 2nd 04, 02:11 AM
Ronald Cole

singa_lvr writes:
On Wed, 31 Dec 2003 13:16:57 -0800, Ronald Cole wrote:
Had a nasty BSOD problem with a 9700Pro... Eventually the card failed
to the point that I couldn't boot into anything higher than VGA mode.
Replaced the card and everythings worked fine since.

Expensive card to replace .....

Tell me about it! The vendor I bought it from, Plano PC, ****ed me
over and I had to replace it out of pocket when it was clear he either
shipped me a defective OEM card or it was damaged in shipping because
it would constantly reboot the PC from day one. His sage response:
"it worked before I shipped it" and "call the manufacturer" (the
manufacturer told me to call the vendor since the card was OEM). He
also stiffed me on Samsung memory: charged me for 512M and sent me
256M. Stopped responding to email and stopped returning phone calls,
too.

Old January 1st 04, 10:04 AM
Zeneca

Did you consider the current power supply might be small now?

Old January 1st 04, 01:13 PM
jwoolley

Thanks for all of your replies.

I originally had a GeForce 4 ti4400 in the system, but that eventually died
and I replaced it with the cheapest card I could find - an ATI Rage
128Ultra. That card worked fine. I made sure to remove the drivers for that
card before installing the new one as I was aware that it could otherwise
cause conflicts.

My power supply is an Enermax 350W, which I am sure is more than sufficient.

Although it could well be an overheating problem, it irritates me that if it
is caused by this, why does the card not come with sufficient cooling
hardware? Why should I have to change the fan just to get the card to work??
It should work straight out of the box!

card in - not only does it reboot itself, a few programs are much less
stable now. e.g. outlook express and internet explorer crash frequently
(giving me windows errors, asking me to report the error), and sometimes msn
messenger.

Sapphire tech support (the only tech support that has actually bothered to
reply to my emails) have advised me to replace the card if the new Catalyst
drivers due out on the 7th January do not help the situation.

Old January 2nd 04, 02:13 AM
Ronald Cole

"jwoolley" writes:
My power supply is an Enermax 350W, which I am sure is more than sufficient.

I have a 450W PS with my 9700Pro connected to it and it has no
problems.

Radeon 9600XT Jamberoo General 2 May 18th 04 03:10 AM
WinTV tuner with Radeon 9600XT under XP - but no video! Bruno General 1 March 29th 04 03:24 AM
Hewlett-Packard & Circuit City Richard E Sgrignoli General 2 March 17th 04 10:42 AM
Computer totally up shit creek Paul Harris Homebuilt PC's 18 February 11th 04 12:23 AM
Updating family computer. How does this look? Anime-niac Homebuilt PC's 17 January 8th 04 04:30 PM