Ti4200 128 8X Vs Ti4800SE 128 8X

Old September 21st 03, 07:16 PM
Daniel Yates

Default Ti4200 128 8X Vs Ti4800SE 128 8X

Hi all

Could anyone advise on the benefits of upgrading from an

Inno3D GeForce4 Ti4200 128MB 8X AGP

to a

Inno3D GeForce4 Ti4800 128MB 8X AGP.

Is there any worthwhile difference gaining 600 points in the product number?

My current system is

Pentium 4 1.7Ghz Willamette 0.18 micron
512MB PC133 SDRAM
GeForce 4 Ti4200 128MB 8X AGP
15" TFT Monitor @ 1024x768 75Hz

Now be brutally honest here, given the fact I have SDRAM and a willamette,
is this upgrade worth my while or will my performance increase be so
negligible as to be not worth it?

i just want to make sure so that I don;t blow some money for say a 2 - 3%
performace increase.

TIA

Daniel Yates
--
Reply e-mail is a full spamtrap - please reply in group

Old September 21st 03, 07:59 PM
Phil Weldon

It depends on your applications, but you'd likely get a much greater
performance increase by spending the money on a Northwood CPU.

A boxed, retail Pentium 4 2.4 GHz 'Northwood' with a 400 MHz FSB is $167 US
and the Chaintech Ti4800SE 128 MByte GeForce4 display adapter is $147 US at
a reputable online vendor in the US. Considering that 3 GHz will be an easy
overclock with the Pentium 4 2.4 GHz and that you can't use any resolution
higher than 1024 by 768 with your monitor, the display adapter upgrade
doesn't compute.

Phil Weldon,

Old September 21st 03, 08:51 PM
John Smith

Hi
I wouldn't bother mate.
I doubt a P4 1.7 on sdram can supply enough info
to a GF 4200 let alone a 4600.The cpu is no doubt
starved of info with sdram as it is and to top it most
4200s will overclock to 4400/4600 level
anyway(although it will still starve)
My friend has a GF3 Ti200 on a P4 1.6 sdram system
and my GF2ti gets 1000 more 3D2001 points on a Athlon
1.4
I would think your better bet is to spend the money on a
DDR P4 800Mhz board and something like a P4 2.6 up

Smiffy

Old September 21st 03, 10:12 PM
Daniel Yates

"Phil Weldon" wrote in message
hlink.net...
It depends on your applications, but you'd likely get a much greater
performance increase by spending the money on a Northwood CPU.

A boxed, retail Pentium 4 2.4 GHz 'Northwood' with a 400 MHz FSB is $167

US
and the Chaintech Ti4800SE 128 MByte GeForce4 display adapter is $147 US

at
a reputable online vendor in the US. Considering that 3 GHz will be an

easy
overclock with the Pentium 4 2.4 GHz and that you can't use any resolution
higher than 1024 by 768 with your monitor, the display adapter upgrade
doesn't compute.

Phil Weldon,

snip

I have to admit that has been a consideration for a while. One problem I
have found is that finding an reputable e-tailer that sells P2.4Ghz with a
400Mhz FSB is nigh on impossible. I am more than willing to buy from the US
if it comes to it, but only if the seller is has a shiny reputation.

All I can ever seem to find are the 533FSB varieties. The gfx card I am
thinking of buying is for sale at $100 being 6 months old. That works out at
about £62 pounds for me which is cheaper than the 4200 I bought about a
month ago.

But I think you have sold me on that - I need to get a Northwood. I think I
have kown that at the back of my mind for a while.

Cheers for that :-)))

Daniel

Old September 21st 03, 10:20 PM
Daniel Yates

"John Smith" wrote in message
Hi
I wouldn't bother mate.
I doubt a P4 1.7 on sdram can supply enough info
to a GF 4200 let alone a 4600.The cpu is no doubt
starved of info with sdram as it is and to top it most
4200s will overclock to 4400/4600 level
anyway(although it will still starve)
My friend has a GF3 Ti200 on a P4 1.6 sdram system
and my GF2ti gets 1000 more 3D2001 points on a Athlon
1.4
I would think your better bet is to spend the money on a
DDR P4 800Mhz board and something like a P4 2.6 up

Smiffy

I have to admit that my benchmarks with this new 4200 have been poor, but
when I really put it to the test in actual games it has blazed like there is
no tommorow.

I am currently playing Battlefield 1942, C&C Generals and
Morrowind/Tribunal/Bloodmoon at 1024x768, 75Hz Refresh, Quincunx
Anti-aliasing and 8x Anisotropic filtering and my system is not even phased
by it. I can bump up the FSAA to absolute full and it still manages fine
except on maps that are very very large open space with a lot of activity -
it struggles a little with the Large Scale Terrain i think, but apart from
that the improvement is amazing, but I think you may be right - happen this
card is about as good as I am going to get. I dont have any doubt that this
card will run HL2 OK if I ever fancied it, of course without the DX9 eye
candy but that is not that bad an issue.

The card I upgraded from was a Ti200 64MB, and admittedly that card was damn
good. I managed to get just short of 7000 points on 3D Mark 01 SE with abit
of tweaking in the detonators using HardPage.

On my list of parts to buy for a homebuilt system I have the Asus P4P800
Deluxe - I aim to stick a matched pair of 512 DDR400 in it alongside
something like a P4 2.4 ( phil weldon from the other reply has finally
convinced me of this one ).

Peace

Daniel

Old September 21st 03, 11:15 PM
Phil Weldon

Well, I can recommend the vendor that was once named Googlegear, but just
this week got renamed ZipZoomFly, a very iffy name choice, in my opinion [I
suspect it may have something to do with complaint from google.com, even
though ZipZoomFly nee googlegear.com claim not.) The new URL is
http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/Home.jsp . I've bought several CPU's,
motherboards, memory modules, large capacity 1" hard drives, display
adapters, and accessories from this company with complete satisfaction over
the last two years. I find it the best combination of price, shipping
charge, and reputation among on-line computer component vendors. They are
regularly listed as lowest price sources for CPU's at
http://www.sharkyextreme.com .

ZipFlyZoom Current CPU prices include

for boxed, retail CPU
Pentium 4 2.4 GHz 400 MHz bus $167 US
Pentium 4 2.4B GHz 533 MHz bus $163.50 US
Pentium 4 2.4C GHz 800 MHz bus $171 US

Phil Weldon,

"Daniel Yates" wrote in message
..
..
..

Old September 23rd 03, 12:50 AM
papasurf

Not much of a step up really from 4200 to 4800. Do the Northwood like Phil
said and your exiting card will do lota better.
[...]

---
Checked by AVG anti-virus system (
http://www.grisoft.com).