PCI-Express over Cat6

Old May 5th 04, 05:10 PM
Yousuf Khan

Default PCI-Express over Cat6

http://www.extremetech.com/article2/...129TX1K0000532

Yousuf Khan

--
Humans: contact me at ykhan at rogers dot com
Spambots: just reply to this email address ;-)

Old May 5th 04, 10:01 PM
Judd

"Yousuf Khan" wrote in message
et.cable.rogers.com...

http://www.extremetech.com/article2/...129TX1K0000532

Yousuf Khan

Nice... too bad all of our cabling is Cat5.

Old May 5th 04, 11:56 PM
daytripper

On Wed, 05 May 2004 16:10:36 GMT, "Yousuf Khan"
wrote:

http://www.extremetech.com/article2/...129TX1K0000532

Yousuf Khan

yawn

While the world pushes tighter integration, who does TI think is going to pile
on to a proprietary way to split a system into chunks?

I love the bit about remoting HID devices.
Yeah, there's a high-throughput market to exploit...

/daytripper (everything dumb is new again in Texas ;-)
Old May 6th 04, 06:36 AM
Yousuf Khan

Judd wrote:
"Yousuf Khan" wrote in message

http://www.extremetech.com/article2/...129TX1K0000532

Nice... too bad all of our cabling is Cat5.

Well, I'm sure the motherboard makers will provide you with some Cat6 to
connect your PCI-E devices remotely with. :-)

Yousuf Khan

Old May 6th 04, 06:46 AM
Yousuf Khan

daytripper wrote:
On Wed, 05 May 2004 16:10:36 GMT, "Yousuf Khan"

http://www.extremetech.com/article2/...129TX1K0000532

yawn

I love the bit about remoting HID devices.
Yeah, there's a high-throughput market to exploit...

Maybe it's for the really, really, really fast typers? :-)

I guess in their haste to get a press release out they forgot that this sort
of job is already done by USB?

I'm sure they have much more important ideas in mind behind it, but none of
which really excite nor matter to typical home users. Things like clustering
interconnects or remote storage devices.

While the world pushes tighter integration, who does TI think is
going to pile on to a proprietary way to split a system into chunks?

As I said, maybe they have some really big ideas, they just weren't smart
enough to make it sound exciting on a press release. :-)

Yousuf Khan

Old May 6th 04, 01:33 PM

daytripper wrote:
[...]

Maybe we could one day get little modules with just the CPU and Gig-Ethernet
port to Add extra processing power.

Old May 6th 04, 03:12 PM
Robert Myers

wrote:

http://www.extremetech.com/article2/...129TX1K0000532

yawn

While the world pushes tighter integration, who does TI think is going to pile
on to a proprietary way to split a system into chunks?

What can be used to take apart can also be used to put together. What
TI has done seems like some version of I/O that Intel was pushing...only
it's not Intel silicon, just like Infiniband isn't Intel silicon. How
will Intel react to this one: cut loose PCI-Express?

I've crossposted to comp.arch to see if I can't attract comments about
how real this is and what effects if might have outside the Intel/PC
marketplace.

RM

Old May 6th 04, 03:40 PM
Del Cecchi

"Robert Myers" wrote in message
daytripper wrote:
On Wed, 05 May 2004 16:10:36 GMT, "Yousuf Khan"
wrote:

http://www.extremetech.com/article2/...=ETRSS02129TX1

K0000532

yawn

While the world pushes tighter integration, who does TI think is going

to pile
on to a proprietary way to split a system into chunks?

What can be used to take apart can also be used to put together. What
TI has done seems like some version of I/O that Intel was pushing...only
it's not Intel silicon, just like Infiniband isn't Intel silicon. How
will Intel react to this one: cut loose PCI-Express?

I've crossposted to comp.arch to see if I can't attract comments about
how real this is and what effects if might have outside the Intel/PC
marketplace.

RM

They are sending a 1X pci express over 4 pairs of CAT6 which is better than
CAT5 which 1000baseT uses.
They don't say how long the cable is. Ethernet uses 50 to 100 meters. 2-5
meters is a lot easier.
PCI-express is 2.5 Gb/s on the wire, GigE is 1.250 on the wire,
PCI express is working on cabling extensions. Intel is big on it. Why
would this make them upset?
1X PCI express is equivilent, roughly, to the 66MHz 32 bit PCI slot. Or
maybe to a 66 by 64 due to being duplex.
Many folks don't like to open the box to add stuff to their computer. This
is an alternative to things like firewire and USB2 as a way to add stuff.

del cecchi

Old May 6th 04, 04:16 PM
Robert Myers

Del Cecchi wrote:

They are sending a 1X pci express over 4 pairs of CAT6 which is better than
CAT5 which 1000baseT uses.
They don't say how long the cable is. Ethernet uses 50 to 100 meters. 2-5
meters is a lot easier.
PCI-express is 2.5 Gb/s on the wire, GigE is 1.250 on the wire,
PCI express is working on cabling extensions. Intel is big on it. Why
would this make them upset?

I probably should learn not to make remarks like that. Fat chance. ;-).

Since it's _TI_ silicon first to market, it would seem to have the
potential to interfere with IBM's plans to take over the server room
starting at the processor and moving outward.

1X PCI express is equivilent, roughly, to the 66MHz 32 bit PCI slot. Or
maybe to a 66 by 64 due to being duplex.
Many folks don't like to open the box to add stuff to their computer. This
is an alternative to things like firewire and USB2 as a way to add stuff.

I dunno. I know even less about expansion bus protocols than I do about
most other things. Is there anything you can do with any available
out-of-the box interconnect that you can't do with lower latency using
PCI-Express? Limited bandwidth and distance, to be sure, but how could
you beat the latency?

RM

Old May 6th 04, 04:31 PM
Del Cecchi

Del Cecchi wrote:

[...]

IB and PCI-Express should be pretty comparable. (PCI express isn't out of
the box yet)
Ethernet with RDMA and hardware offload is in the same ballpark.
Rapid I/O, Fibre Channel, are contenders depending on task.

Is latency a big deal writing to a disk or graphics card?

P4C800-E Deluxe and PCI Express Paul Asus Motherboards 18 September 24th 22 08:07 AM
PCI Express? Christo General 8 October 25th 04 10:25 PM
$1000 to spend on a new computer Azaran2003 General 13 August 29th 04 01:07 AM
Bad news for ATI: Nvidia to 'own' ATI at CeBit - no pixel shader 3.0 support in R420 (long) NV55 Ati Videocards 12 February 24th 04 06:29 AM
Bad news for ATI: Nvidia to 'own' ATI at CeBit - no pixel shader 3.0 support in R420 (long) NV55 Nvidia Videocards 11 February 24th 04 06:29 AM