sound card and graphics card ports?

Old October 31st 04, 12:28 PM
Bob

Default sound card and graphics card ports?

I have following doubt..
I am using intel 845 motherboard with inbuilt sound and graphics
properties.
but now i want to add separate graphics and sound cards.?
so after installing the separate sound and graphics card,
do my system have duplicate sound and graphics port(one from inbuilt
and other from separate card)?

Or is any there any way to remove the inbuilt sound and graphics
ports?

regards,
bob
Old October 31st 04, 06:45 PM
Mike Walsh

With most motherboards you an disable the motherboard sound and graphics by changing BIOS settings. If not there should be motherboard jumpers.

--

When replying by Email include NewSGrouP (case sensitive) in Subject

Mike Walsh
West Palm Beach, Florida, U.S.A.

Old November 1st 04, 12:05 AM
kony

On 31 Oct 2004 04:28:50 -0800,
(Bob) wrote:

I have following doubt..
I am using intel 845 motherboard with inbuilt sound and graphics
properties.
but now i want to add separate graphics and sound cards.?

Yes

so after installing the separate sound and graphics card,
do my system have duplicate sound and graphics port(one from inbuilt
and other from separate card)?

Yes

There would be two sound devices at least.
If the video is from a card installed into an AGP slot, the
integrated video will, by necessity, automatically be
disabled. If you're installing a PCI video card, you need
to enter the bios and disable the integrated video. You
might also/or need to set the integrated video memory
allocation to 0, diabled, (or at least the lowest value
offered). This is typical but it would be preferred to
disable with a jumper(s) if your board has them (consult
motherboard manual).

Or is any there any way to remove the inbuilt sound and graphics
ports?

Jumper or bios setting can also be used to disable onboard
sound, or at the very worst (shouldn't be necesary) you can
disable the original sound in Device Manger, OR you can also
just select the new card as the output device in Multimedia
Properties and have both audio devices still functional,
which isn't beneficial to averge user but if you had some
need for legacy sound or more input/output than the
preferred card can provide, it might then be a solution.

Old November 1st 04, 02:13 AM
WebWalker

On 31 Oct 2004 04:28:50 -0800, (Bob) wrote:

Or is any there any way to remove the inbuilt sound and graphics
ports?

Remove them from the BIOS.

--
WebWalker
Old November 2nd 04, 12:14 AM
WebWalker

On Mon, 01 Nov 2004 10:13:24 +0800, WebWalker
wrote:

On 31 Oct 2004 04:28:50 -0800, (Bob) wrote:

Or is any there any way to remove the inbuilt sound and graphics
ports?

Remove them from the BIOS.

It is should be: "Disable" them from the BIOS.

--
WebWalker

Decent, low power, silent PCI graphics card? cjm General 7 August 26th 04 10:43 PM
Sound card problem Phileas General 10 May 9th 04 10:55 PM
Inexpensive graphics card for servers and cluster nodes Oliver Mueller General 2 March 29th 04 10:45 PM
Graphics card problem LanNam General 1 December 6th 03 01:48 AM
Problem: Compaq EVO D310 vs Nvidia Graphics Card. Tomas General 5 November 1st 03 05:39 PM