Merge partitions

Old August 2nd 04, 09:00 AM
Cain Shugher

Default Merge partitions

I have a 40 GB HD in Window XP Home edition that has been partitioned into
three separate drives. Since 40 GB isn't that big anymore, I would like to
merge drives C&D into approximately 30 GB and leave the extra 10 GB for
storage. With Power Quest Partition Magice 7.0, this usually is not problem
at all. However, whenever I try this particular change, I get the error
message: Access Violation at address 0052DCCC in nodule PMagicNT 7.0 exe
read of address 000000008. What does this mean? I cannot find any referral
to this error message in the documentation. I have tried using the WinXP
disk utility to do make this change, but it doesn't seem to have an option
to merge partitions--only to delete them. Can anyone help me with this?

Old August 2nd 04, 10:08 AM
kony

On Mon, 2 Aug 2004 01:00:31 -0700, "Cain Shugher"
wrote:

I have a 40 GB HD in Window XP Home edition that has been partitioned into
three separate drives. Since 40 GB isn't that big anymore, I would like to
merge drives C&D into approximately 30 GB and leave the extra 10 GB for
storage. With Power Quest Partition Magice 7.0, this usually is not problem
at all. However, whenever I try this particular change, I get the error
message: Access Violation at address 0052DCCC in nodule PMagicNT 7.0 exe
read of address 000000008. What does this mean? I cannot find any referral
to this error message in the documentation. I have tried using the WinXP
disk utility to do make this change, but it doesn't seem to have an option
to merge partitions--only to delete them. Can anyone help me with this?

Have you tried uninstalling and reinstalling Partition Magic,
with all background apps (including Antivirus) disabled?

If you're not 100% certain that your system's memory is error
free you might also try running http://www.memtest86.com for few
hours.

If your copy of Partition Magic is the full retail
packaged/licensed version then you might also ask Powerquest...
shoot them an email with details... or ask them anyway,
Old August 2nd 04, 11:38 AM
michel

It is a problem.
Yuo can't do diskpartitioning on the system partition.
windows system dir is probably residing on C, hence the trouble.

Michel

Old August 2nd 04, 12:55 PM
Skeleton Man

I have a 40 GB HD in Window XP Home edition that has been partitioned into
three separate drives. Since 40 GB isn't that big anymore, I would like to
merge drives C&D into approximately 30 GB and leave the extra 10 GB for
storage. With Power Quest Partition Magice 7.0, this usually is not

problem
at all. However, whenever I try this particular change, I get the error
message: Access Violation at address 0052DCCC in nodule PMagicNT 7.0 exe

I would strongly advise creating a partion magic boot floppy and trying
merging the partions from there.
(that's all I use personally, I don't use the windows version)

Regards,
Chris

Old August 2nd 04, 06:25 PM
*Vanguard*

"Cain Shugher"
wrote in :
I have a 40 GB HD in Window XP Home edition that has been partitioned
into three separate drives. Since 40 GB isn't that big anymore, I
would like to merge drives C&D into approximately 30 GB and leave the
extra 10 GB for storage. With Power Quest Partition Magice 7.0, this
usually is not problem at all. However, whenever I try this
particular change, I get the error message: Access Violation at
address 0052DCCC in nodule PMagicNT 7.0 exe read of address
000000008. What does this mean? I cannot find any referral to this
error message in the documentation. I have tried using the WinXP
disk utility to do make this change, but it doesn't seem to have an
option to merge partitions--only to delete them. Can anyone help me
with this?

Have you used the Windows version of PM to create its bootable rescue
diskettes and ran PM from there? Rather than try to use PM to change
partitions (which requires a reboot, anyway), just reboot and use the
bootable PM diskettes. It is self-defeating to try to alter the
partition from which the OS is running and from where you execute the
program that is trying to change the partition it is running from. Sort
of like trying to take off your socks with your shoes still on. PM will
do a reboot to make the actual partition changes but then you are still
trying to run it from the hard disk that you are also altering. Instead
just use the bootable floppies that PM creates. I do the same with
DriveImage.

(E-mail: domain = ".com", add "=NEWS=" to Subject)

Old August 2nd 04, 06:26 PM
*Vanguard*

"*Vanguard*" do-not-email@reply-to-group
wrote in :

Have you used the Windows version of PM to create its bootable rescue
diskettes and ran PM from there? Rather than try to use PM to change
partitions (which requires a reboot, anyway), just reboot and use the
bootable PM diskettes. It is self-defeating to try to alter the
partition from which the OS is running and from where you execute the
program that is trying to change the partition it is running from.
Sort of like trying to take off your socks with your shoes still on.
PM will do a reboot to make the actual partition changes but then you
are still trying to run it from the hard disk that you are also
altering. Instead just use the bootable floppies that PM creates. I
do the same with DriveImage.

Oh, in addition, run 'chkdsk /r' for each partition before running PM
just to be sure the files and disk are okay.

(E-mail: domain = ".com", add "=NEWS=" to Subject)

Old August 2nd 04, 09:45 PM

Perhaps DFSEE would help? www.dfsee.com

Alan

** Please use address alanh77[at]comccast.net to reply via e-mail. **

Posted using registered MR/2 ICE Newsreader #564 and eComStation 1.1