FX 5800 Ultra

Old January 21st 04, 06:23 PM
Nick

Default FX 5800 Ultra

Just seen what looks like a great deal on an FX5800 Ultra about $ 208
delivered checked it out on Tomshardware lands around the 9700 Pro
performance.

Any reasons not to go for this card ?

Old January 21st 04, 07:24 PM
K-Gun

It's loud, sounds like a handheld vacuum, it takes up 2 slots and
performance is not great and I'm not sure it is fully DirectX 9 enabled.
Consider the FX 5700 Ultra instead.

Old January 21st 04, 09:26 PM
Courseyauto

"Nick" wrote in message
Just seen what looks like a great deal on an FX5800 Ultra about $ 208
delivered checked it out on Tomshardware lands around the 9700 Pro
performance.

Any reasons not to go for this card ?

For $20 more you can get a Gainward FX 5900 model ultra 1200from new egg
thats better than the 5800,it will clock to FX ULTRA 5900 speed easily. DOUG
Old January 21st 04, 09:35 PM
Nick Le Lievre

"Nick" wrote in message
Just seen what looks like a great deal on an FX5800 Ultra about $ 208
delivered checked it out on Tomshardware lands around the 9700 Pro
performance.

Any reasons not to go for this card ?

For $20 more you can get a Gainward FX 5900 model ultra 1200from new egg
thats better than the 5800,it will clock to FX ULTRA 5900 speed easily.

DOUG

I`m not bothered about the noise factor I run a Delta 7000rpm fan on my
overclocked CPU. Benchmarks for the 5800 Ultra look pretty good to me - it
tops the FX5900 standard and FX5900XT see
http://www.tomshardware.com/graphic/20031229/index.html &
http://www.ixbt-labs.com/articles2/o.../index.html#p5 I am running out
of slots though.

Old January 21st 04, 11:21 PM
Courseyauto

For $20 more you can get a Gainward FX 5900 model ultra 1200from new egg
thats better than the 5800,it will clock to FX ULTRA 5900 speed easily.

DOUG

I`m not bothered about the noise factor I run a Delta 7000rpm fan on my
overclocked CPU. Benchmarks for the 5800 Ultra look pretty good to me - it
tops the FX5900 standard and FX5900XT see
http://www.tomshardware.com/graphic/20031229/index.html &
http://www.ixbt-labs.com/articles2/o.../index.html#p5 I am running out
of slots though.

The Gainward FX 5900 ultra 1200 tops both the std FX and the XT by a good
ways,it also has the fastest memory of the three cards. DOUG
Old January 21st 04, 11:23 PM
Courseyauto

For $20 more you can get a Gainward FX 5900 model ultra 1200from new egg
thats better than the 5800,it will clock to FX ULTRA 5900 speed easily.

DOUG

I`m not bothered about the noise factor I run a Delta 7000rpm fan on my
overclocked CPU. Benchmarks for the 5800 Ultra look pretty good to me - it
tops the FX5900 standard and FX5900XT see
http://www.tomshardware.com/graphic/20031229/index.html &
http://www.ixbt-labs.com/articles2/o.../index.html#p5 I am running out
of slots though.

..

The Gainward FX 5900 ultra 1200 also only takes up one slot, I have one and
it works great. it is also very quiet,you cant even hear it in 3d mode. DOUG
Old January 21st 04, 11:30 PM
Nick

"Courseyauto" wrote in message
For $20 more you can get a Gainward FX 5900 model ultra 1200from new

egg
thats better than the 5800,it will clock to FX ULTRA 5900 speed easily.

DOUG

I`m not bothered about the noise factor I run a Delta 7000rpm fan on my
overclocked CPU. Benchmarks for the 5800 Ultra look pretty good to me - it
tops the FX5900 standard and FX5900XT see
http://www.tomshardware.com/graphic/20031229/index.html &
http://www.ixbt-labs.com/articles2/o.../index.html#p5 I am running out
of slots though.

The Gainward FX 5900 ultra 1200 tops both the std FX and the XT by a

good
ways,it also has the fastest memory of the three cards. DOUG

Truth is I can`t get the Gainward FX5900 Ultra card you mention for $ 228
delivered the Asus V9900 Ultra TD FX5800 Ultra I mention has a meaty
overclockers heatsink/fan and should overclock a little to get nearer to the
FX5900 Ultra.

Old January 22nd 04, 12:46 AM
Dark Avenger

"Nick" wrote in message ...
Just seen what looks like a great deal on an FX5800 Ultra about $ 208
delivered checked it out on Tomshardware lands around the 9700 Pro
performance.

Any reasons not to go for this card ?

You play flight sims, well then you get "real life air sucking" sound,
free with your card.

Easy said, the card makes a bitchy amount of sound, sometimes getting
close into the 60db... and that doesn't games fine....
Old January 22nd 04, 12:58 AM
Nick

"Dark Avenger" wrote in message
om...
"Nick" wrote in message

Just seen what looks like a great deal on an FX5800 Ultra about $ 208
delivered checked it out on Tomshardware lands around the 9700 Pro
performance.

Any reasons not to go for this card ?

You play flight sims, well then you get "real life air sucking" sound,
free with your card.

Easy said, the card makes a bitchy amount of sound, sometimes getting
close into the 60db... and that doesn't games fine....

The Delta 7000rpm CPU fan makes a lot of noise too but Im kinda used to it
now hardly notice it - I might be going deaf however. The FX5800 Ultra seems
to edge out the FX5900 stock & FX5900XT stock in non AA / AF performance but
is only equal to FX5900XT with AA / AF on the FX5900 is slightly ahead.

So the FX 5800 Ultra stock is about even with FX 5900 but you can overclock
those quite a bit then it etches ahead I wonder if I will be able to push
the FX5800 over 500/1000 to make the noise worthwhile.