Problem with an 80gig hard drive WD

Old May 24th 04, 03:58 PM
Brigitte J.

Default Problem with an 80gig hard drive WD

I'm not sure what happened, but this much I can tell you...

My son was using my computer to download games from the internet (he says my
computer downloads faster).

He turned off the computer, and the next morning when I booted my computer,
I got a "disk full" message. It then prompted me to "clean-up", so I chose
to do the clean-up. The computer locked up. I did a hard shutdown and
tried to reboot the system. No joy I'm not even certain that the disk
is actually full, as it said. But I suppose it is possible, since some of
the games my son downloads onto my system are sometimes huge files.

All I get is a black screen with a blinking curser in the upper left of the
screen. When I boot up with the boot-up disk, and try to see the directory
on the hard disk, it says bad command.

I am at my wit's end. When I put the disk into an external enclosure and
look at the properties, it says the disk is full. But won't let me look at
anything on the disk.

I have many years of information on this disk and would hate to lose it all.
I don't know much about these kinds of problems and am trying to figure out
a workaround to get in there and get the information and put it on another
disk, but don't know how to go about this. I don't want to cause further
damage to the disk.

Does anyone out there have any ideas or any experience with this kind of
problem? I was an idiot for not doing back-ups on a more frequent basis. I
am fortunate that I had backed up my family photos back in February, but I'd
like to get email addresses and old emails and other stuff too, If it's at
all possible.

BTW, the disk has windows98se edition on it.

Any advise or ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Brigitte J.

---

Old May 24th 04, 04:04 PM
Tj

Virus? Sounds like one.Have you tried running a scan disk at dos prompt?
You might try booting into safemode. When you turn on computer hold down the
f8 key. This will bring up a menu to allow you to go to save mode. Once
there start deleting any unwanted files.If this don't work try reloading
windows.
Might have some bad files. Try putting the 98 cd in and reboot. Reload
windows into same directory. Just load it on top of it self, that way you
will lose nothing.

news

Old May 24th 04, 04:22 PM
Bennett Price

You say when you put the disk in an external enclosure you can't read
it. Does this mean you connected the disk to another working PC? Was
that PC running Win98? Win98 can format a disk in a fashion that Win95,
WinNT, 2K, XP can't read; perhaps your disk is so formatted. Also, be
aware that various jumpers usually have to be reset when a second drive
is added to a PC.

Old May 24th 04, 04:57 PM
Brigitte J.

"Tj" wrote in message
news
Virus? Sounds like one.

Maybe. How do I run a virus scan from dos?

Have you tried running a scan disk at dos prompt?

Nope, when in dos, it says the drive is not there. When I attempt to look
at the directory, it says it's a bad command. Am I doing something wrong
there?

You might try booting into safemode. When you turn on computer hold down

the
f8 key. This will bring up a menu to allow you to go to save mode.Once
there start deleting any unwanted files.

I've tried getting into safe mode. I just get the blinking curser in the
upper left of the screen.

If this don't work try reloading
windows.
Might have some bad files. Try putting the 98 cd in and reboot. Reload
windows into same directory.

Just load it on top of it self, that way you
will lose nothing.

Yep, this is what I was hoping to do, but when I boot up with the windows cd
in the computer, the only option I get is to format the hard drive. If I do
this, I'll lose all my data, won't I?

If I'm doing something wrong, please let me know. I'm assuming that when in
dos and at the C prompt I type in "dir", and the response is "bad command",
that it's not able to see it. Is this correct? As I said, I'm no expert,
just trying to figure this stuff out as I go.

Thanks again,
Brigitte

news

Old May 24th 04, 05:02 PM
Brigitte J.

"Bennett Price" wrote in message
You say when you put the disk in an external enclosure you can't read
it.

I can't read see files, but in the disk's properties, i see the pie shaped
image that shows the pie completely blue, which represents used space.

Does this mean you connected the disk to another working PC?

No, I hooked it up to the same computer. I put another hard drive in and
installed win98se onto it.

Was
that PC running Win98?

Yes

Win98 can format a disk in a fashion that Win95,
WinNT, 2K, XP can't read; perhaps your disk is so formatted. Also, be
aware that various jumpers usually have to be reset when a second drive
is added to a PC.

Yes, I set the jumpers per the manufacturers instructions.

Thanks,
Brigitte

Old May 24th 04, 05:10 PM
Tj

Can you boot in Bios (setup)? Make sure it is seeing your hard drive. It is
possible you battery went dead on your computer and it doesn't see the hard
drive settings. Have you checked to make sure jumper is correct and cable is
in the right way? Perhaps it is lose.
Do you have an emergency boot floppy? Boot from the floppy and see if you
can see the hard drive.
Western Digital has a web site where you can down load a program to check
your hard drive (it might be dead)

news

Old May 24th 04, 05:14 PM
Bennett Price

Have you attempted to run Win98's disk repair utilities from the good
disk on the bad disk? When you look at the properties of the bad disk
does it say File System = FAT or FAT32?

Old May 24th 04, 06:04 PM
Pen

Since you've exhausted all the "normal" methods at
this point
I'd recommend you go to GRC.com(Gibson Research)
and buy Spinrite if
Western Digital doesn't work for you, but the
drive is still alive.Spinrite can
resurrect almost any hard drive that exists.

"Tj" wrote in
message

Checked by AVG anti-virus system

(http://www.grisoft.com).

Release Date: 5/22/2004

Old May 24th 04, 06:04 PM
Brigitte J.

"Bennett Price" wrote in message
Have you attempted to run Win98's disk repair utilities from the good
disk on the bad disk?

I no longer have win98se on the "new" hard drive. I did a clean install of
win2k on the "new" one. I doubt I can run that utility now.

When you look at the properties of the bad disk
does it say File System = FAT or FAT32?

I don't remember what it said, but I'll check on that...

Brigitte

Old May 24th 04, 06:09 PM
Brigitte J.

"Tj" wrote in message
Can you boot in Bios (setup)? Make sure it is seeing your hard drive.

Yes, I was able to go into the bios and it did see the hard drive there.

It is
possible you battery went dead on your computer and it doesn't see the

hard
drive settings.

I doubt that's the problem, since I've got a new hard drive installed with
win2k running and it's running fine.

Have you checked to make sure jumper is correct and cable is
in the right way? Perhaps it is lose.

Yes, checked and double checked jumpers and cables.

Do you have an emergency boot floppy? Boot from the floppy and see if you
can see the hard drive.

When I try to look at the directory on C, it says "bad command". I guess
that means it doesn't see the hard drive.

Western Digital has a web site where you can down load a program to check
your hard drive (it might be dead)

Would I download this onto a different hard drive? Not sure how I'd
download it to the 80gig drive.

Thanks,
Brigitte

news