ATI not living up to offer

Old November 18th 04, 09:18 PM
John Mitchell

Default ATI not living up to offer

I bought an ATI 9600XT video card last spring. It came in a box that offered
a free Half-Life game. That was never delivered - I received a Coupon for
it.
Today I called and was informed that I must pay $10.00US to have it
shipped -- THAT'S NOT FREE ATI.
I know there were delays with the manufacturer but why should the customer
be made to pay?

--
John Mitchell

Old November 18th 04, 10:20 PM
Andrew

On Thu, 18 Nov 2004 13:18:26 -0800, "John Mitchell"
wrote:

I bought an ATI 9600XT video card last spring. It came in a box that offered
a free Half-Life game. That was never delivered - I received a Coupon for
it.
Today I called and was informed that I must pay $10.00US to have it
shipped -- THAT'S NOT FREE ATI.

It is free via Steam, you want a physical copy, then you have to pay.
Old November 18th 04, 10:49 PM
callsignviper

"John Mitchell" wrote in message
I bought an ATI 9600XT video card last spring. It came in a box that
offered a free Half-Life game. That was never delivered - I received a
Coupon for it.
Today I called and was informed that I must pay $10.00US to have it
shipped -- THAT'S NOT FREE ATI.
I know there were delays with the manufacturer but why should the customer
be made to pay?

READ the fine, fine print on the coupon. It probably states the $10.00
charge for shipping and handling. Pretty cheap for a $30 - $55 game IMO.

I agree that it's not free but the definition of FREE, in regards to
merchandise, has been *******ized by merchants and manufacturers. The
so-called "free after rebate" offers really aren't because most likely you
have to pay sales tax on the pre-rebate price, maybe shipping, the cost of a
stamp or two, cost of an envelope, and the cost of making copies of the
rebate submission. There is also the cost in terms of your time if you have
to call to find out why you haven't received the rebate.

--
callsignviper

The truth is out there. You just have to look in the right places and ask
the right questions.

Old November 18th 04, 10:56 PM
Nerdillius Maximus

"John Mitchell" wrote in message
I bought an ATI 9600XT video card last spring. It came in a box that

offered
a free Half-Life game. That was never delivered - I received a Coupon for
it.
Today I called and was informed that I must pay $10.00US to have it
shipped -- THAT'S NOT FREE ATI.
I know there were delays with the manufacturer but why should the customer
be made to pay?

Because ATI didn't include it in the box and that's why it's as hokey as
Best Buy rebate offers, perhaps? Lesson #1: Never trust promises of future
satisfaction from corporations. #2: Anything but instant rebates are either
scams, Ponzi promo gimmicks, or interest-free loans. This includes "free"
offers. This is why I bought a 9500 n.p. and softmodded it, instead of ATI's
flagship with some vague promissory note for a copy of HL2 that never came
on time. I knew it would play out like this, and I was right. #3: Doom 3
actually came with a BFG Nvidia card.

I won't buy HL2 either. Any software that requires an internet connection to
activate either gets hacked into submission, pirated, or done without. In
that order. For those with ethical restraints, remember, the companies you
are dealing with largely have none whatsoever.

--
John Mitchell

Old November 18th 04, 11:14 PM
Nyder

Wah I have to pay 10 crummy bucks for a $60 game

Shut the **** up

Nyder

Old November 18th 04, 11:29 PM
Nerdillius Maximus

"Nyder" wrote in message
Wah I have to pay 10 crummy bucks for a $60 game

Shut the **** up

Why thank you for that brilliant commentary and stellar wit. And thank you
for affirming beyond all shadow of a doubt that the gene pool needs more
chlorine...

It's really easy for "short men" to be bigger over Usenet, this much has
been proven time and time again.

Nyder

Old November 19th 04, 12:27 AM
DaveL

"Nerdillius Maximus" wrote in message

"Nyder" wrote in message
Wah I have to pay 10 crummy bucks for a $60 game

Shut the **** up

Why thank you for that brilliant commentary and stellar wit. And thank you
for affirming beyond all shadow of a doubt that the gene pool needs more
chlorine...

It's really easy for "short men" to be bigger over Usenet, this much has
been proven time and time again.

He may be blunt but he's dead on correct, you know. Just download it over
steam for free. One side benefit is you don't have to put the cd in the
drive to play. It's like you had a no cd crack.

DaveL

Old November 19th 04, 01:52 PM
Mark M

Shut the **** up

Why thank you for that brilliant commentary and stellar wit. And thank you
for affirming beyond all shadow of a doubt that the gene pool needs more
chlorine...

It's really easy for "short men" to be bigger over Usenet, this much has
been proven time and time again.

If he/it's over 13, which I highly doubt, no doubt he/it drives a Corvette.
Nice bitchslap, btw. I usually use:

"I'm skewed by your rapier-like wit and obvious command of the English
language. What's next, "Sez you!"

Old November 19th 04, 06:07 PM
Noozer

Steam is basically a "virus" that sits in the background whenever your PC is
on to make sure that you have a valid version of Halflife 2 installed. Even
if you aren't playing the game the Steam software is running and you can't
play the game without it.

"Jim" wrote in message
What is "Stream", is that a web site? Sorry if this
sounds like a stupid question, but it's new to me.

Jim

Old November 19th 04, 06:21 PM
Andrew

On Fri, 19 Nov 2004 18:07:16 GMT, "Noozer" wrote:

Steam is basically a "virus" that sits in the background whenever your PC is

****.

*plonk*