All-in-Wonder 128 Pro in Black and White

Old November 29th 03, 12:23 PM

Default All-in-Wonder 128 Pro in Black and White

I have an ATI All-in-Wonder 128 card and a All-in-Wonder 128 Pro card.
The AIW 128 works fine. However, the video out of the AIW 129 Pro is
only in black and white. That is, hooking the video out of the card
to a television. Also, if I run the television on the computer, it is
only in black and white. Anybody have any ideas what the problem is?
TIA.
Old December 2nd 03, 03:20 AM
Don

Thanks for the suggestion Kev, but when I run the TV on the computer
screen, it is in black and white also. If I run a video using Windows
Media Player on the computer screen, it is in color. So the black and
white is limited to the ATI TV tuner (on PC screen and video out) and
the video out - that is I can play a movie and it will be in color on
the computer and black and white via the video out. I would think it
was the cable also, but why would the TV tuner on the computer screen
be in black and white then? Unless, I am dealing with two problems.
I will try changing the SVideo cable and see what happens.

Don

On Sat, 29 Nov 2003 12:41:39 -0600, Kev

I have an ATI All-in-Wonder 128 card and a All-in-Wonder 128 Pro card.
The AIW 128 works fine. However, the video out of the AIW 129 Pro is
only in black and white. That is, hooking the video out of the card
to a television. Also, if I run the television on the computer, it is
only in black and white. Anybody have any ideas what the problem is?
TIA.

bad svideo cable?

Old December 2nd 03, 03:44 AM
Don

Okay - I just checked by switching cables around. The cable doesn't
make any difference - same problem. Next step I guess is to put the
129 Pro in the older machine to see if it has the same symptom - that
way I can narrow it down to just the card or some incompatibility
between the 128 Pro and the newer machine. Can't place the 129 in the
new machine to test it both ways cause it is a 2X card only and the
new machine accepts only 4X and 8X cards.

Any thoughts about whether the speed of the 128 Pro isn't fast enough
to run on the 4X/8X AGP slot - even though it is supposed to be a 4X
card?

Old December 2nd 03, 04:59 AM
Don

Okay - I just swapped cards - I put the ATI 128 Pro n the machine with
the 2X AGP and it works perfectly in color. Put it back inthe 4X/8X
amchine and it is still black and white. Went into the BIOS and
changed speeds and voltages on the AGP slot. Nothing. Can't change
the AGP to be only 2X though. Is the 129 Pro card just too old for
modern hardware? The new motherboard is an ASUS P4C800 with 2.6G P4
if that helps. Thanks for any suggestions.

Old December 2nd 03, 05:19 AM
JAD

wasn't that special.....brain fart and clicked I guess... \

anyway ,,,, this is a 128 (not a 129????) Pro (AIW)? I thought that all 128 PROS were 4x. Black n white desktop?
Your changing SLOTS and DRIVERS (or driver installs)are you not? because your 2x is in one machine and your 4x8x is another,
right? I would make sure there is nothing in the system that is interfering with the driver(e.g. old vid drivers)

Old December 3rd 03, 01:31 AM
Don

Thanks for the reply JAD. It is definitely a 128Pro - didn't even know
there was such an animal as a 129.

To answer your questions: The AIW 128Pro is 4X; the AIW 128 is 2X. I can
swap the 128 Pro into both machines - it will work in color in the 733Mhz
with the 2X slot - it is black and white in the 2.4G with the 8X slot.

Obviously, I can not try the 128 in both machines (it won't go in the 8X
slot).

I can't change slots (other than by changing machines) because both cards
are AGP.

I do have several different drivers installed in the 2.4G machine- by
dicking around trying to solve the problem. But I started the dicking
around after the black and white issue started after a totally clean install
(I mean brand new MB, HD, etc). So I don't think it is a driver conflict
issue (BWTF, I'm open to anything at this point)

I don't know how or if the AGP slot figures out how to run at 4X or 8X -
maybe I'm stupid - but maybe the card is trying to run faster than it
can????? There is also a voltage difference betweent eh various speeds -
that is why I tried to boost the voltage on the 4X/8X slot on the 128Pro
card - but no change.

One last thing - ATI in their infinite wisdom supplies the same driver for
both cards. I don't know if they just don't give a **** since the cards are
so old, or if the driver file actually has different information for each
card.

I do know that if you tell WinXP that it is a AIW card, the max resolution
is 1600x1200. If you tell it that it is a Rage 129 Pro card, the max
resolution is 2048x1536. The AIW 128 Pro runs fine up to the 2048 x 1536
resolution so why the difference in the drivers if I tell it is really a AIW
card????

Any opinions or experience with the new cards? I wouldn't be opposed to
buying a new AIW card and moving all the other cards down a machine but I'd
hate to buy it and find it had the same issues. The salesmen at the local
Fry's suggested just that (after not having any idea what the problem could
be) - to buy a new card and bring it back if it doesn't work. But that just
doesn't seem right - not to mention being a PITA.

Thanks for any suggestions,
Don

"JAD" wrote in message
nk.net...
wasn't that special.....brain fart and clicked I guess... \

anyway ,,,, this is a 128 (not a 129????) Pro (AIW)? I thought that all

128 PROS were 4x. Black n white desktop?
Your changing SLOTS and DRIVERS (or driver installs)are you not? because

your 2x is in one machine and your 4x8x is another,
right? I would make sure there is nothing in the system that is

interfering with the driver(e.g. old vid drivers)

"JAD" wrote in message

nk.net...

Old December 4th 03, 09:18 AM
Klaus Opel

Hi Don,

[tv displaying only black-and-white]

could it be that the 128pro is PAL and the TV-set is NTSC (or vice
versa)?

Klaus

--
Meine Absender-Adresse ist gültig, allerdings werden emails an diese
Adresse gnadenlos und ohne Benachrichtigung gelöscht.