ASUS A7V RAID ?

Old July 10th 03, 12:50 AM
Matt

Default ASUS A7V RAID ?

"Rick Stewart" wrote in message
Thanks for the scoop. Yes, I did know that I could connect 4 devives

using
the master and slave config. I have all my devices now set to Master.
Could there be a jumper setting I am missing? Can this MB handle 4 IDE
devices as master? Thanks again.

Assuming the Promise controller is working and it is visible in device
manager, Win XP already has embedded drivers for it. You can connect 4
drives as master and 4 as slave for a total of 8 IDE devices. You can boot
to any IDE drive or the first drive on the Promise connecter if it is
enabled in the BIOS. You can use any IDE device (Zip, CD drives) on that
version of the Promise connector which is called a PDC 20265. You can also
set up a RAID 1 or 0 on the Promise connectors, but if you do you won't be
able to use other drives connected to them unless you use a hacked Full-RAID
BIOS.

Download a manual from ASUS before you do anything. Also, if you exchanged
an A7V133 and got an A7V in return, you got gypped out of the more recent
board.

Rick

"Matt" wrote in message
newsg1Pa.192$Bd5.102@fed1read01...

"Rick Stewart" wrote in message
I just replaced my ASUS A7V133 MB with, what I thought, was a

compatible
board. I gor the new board from mailorder. The label on the MB is

A7V
Rev.
1.02. It is supposed to be RAID capable. All I really want to do is
connect 4 IDE devices to the motherboard but when I plug a device in

the
Primary or Secondary ATA 100 connector my devices are not detected. I

did
not get any drivers or manual with the board so I don't even know if

it
is
capable of handling 4 IDE devices. I was told by ASUS that if it had

4
connectors it should handle it. I am running Windows XP Home. Please
advise me on how to get the Primary and Secondary ATA IDE connectors
working. If I need to install drivers, please let me know where to DL

them.
I have gotton nowhere with ASUS's website. Also, when I go to Device
Manager I have no device listed for RAID or SCSI controller.

Thanks for any help/suggestions/comments.

Rick

If you do indeed have the 4 IDE connectors on the mainboard the Promise
"SCSI" controllers should be visible in device manager whether or not

they
are enabled or disabled by the jumper settings. If they do not show in
device manager and they are on the mainboard, something is not right.

BTW,
you can still connect 4 IDE devices using the 2 regular IDE channels

using
master/slave configs.

Old July 10th 03, 01:01 AM
LoBo

Rick ;
Did you enable the controller in the Bios ?
It's not enabled by default.
Is it scanning the ata 100 buss on boot up ?
If it's not scanning for the drives it's not enabled.
And the A7V has a ata contorller without raid.

*

"Matt" wrote in message
[...]

The Worlds Uncensored News Source

Old July 10th 03, 01:29 AM
Rick Stewart

Thanks for the scoop. Where and how do I enable it in the BIOS? I have
BIOS Rev 1008.

Rick

"Matt" wrote in message
[...]

http://www.uncensored-news.com
The Worlds Uncensored News Source

Old July 10th 03, 02:44 AM
Rick Stewart

LoBo-

When I boot up it doesn't appear to be scanning the ATA bus. It scans the
primary and secondary channels but not the ATA. I am beginning to believe
this board is not capable of 4 master drives even though there are 4
connectors. I am running Windows XP Home and there is no Promise controller
or Mass storage controler devices in Device manager.

Rick

Rick

Old July 10th 03, 07:54 AM
LoBo

Rick ;

Been away from my computer for a few hours.
Go into the bios then into the boot menu then down to
load onboard ATA bios change it to Auto then it will load.
I happened to go over to my nephews house ( he's the one
with the board now ) and I looked at the manual for you
while I was there . I remember it also said you can't
use set up a Cdrom up in the boot sequence hooked to the
ATA controller ( the way I read it, that only applied if you
were going to try and use the drive to boot from).
If you are going to boot from the ATA 100 controller
you have to select other boot device in the boot
sequence and in that menu select "SCSI/Onboard ATA Boot Device"
you also back in the main boot menu under SCSI/ATA Boot Sequence
put it on "ATA100/ SCSI" not SCSI/ ATA100.

Do this and all 4 buss's will work.

I know I've made it a clear as muddy water but just print it out
and go in to the bios and make the changes. I think you'll be able
to see what I not explaining vary well.

*

Old July 10th 03, 07:51 PM
Rick Stewart

LoBo-

I went into my BIOS but do not have exactly what you mentioned. In my BIOS
BOOT section I have 4 options at the top. They a
1) Removable Device which is set to Legacy Floppy
2) IDE Hard Drive which is set to my drive WDC WD etc.
3) ATAPI CD-ROM which is set to my Creative drive
4) Other Boot Device which I set to Onboard ATA 100 Boot

The last option was set to something else but now it still does tot scan the
ATA bus nor do I see my other drives connected to the ATA controller ports.

Do you have any other suggestions?

Thanks again,

Rick

Old July 10th 03, 08:57 PM
Rick Stewart

I don't have an option to set the Load onboard ATA BIOS to auto. I only
have the 4 options I mentioned in the BOOT section. I don't have any option
for the SCSI/ATA 100 BOOt Sequence.

All I have is:

Removable Device
IDE Hard Drive
ATAPI CD-ROM
Other BOOT Device.

Rick
"LoBo" wrote in message
Rick :

I don't know way it's not working now. Did you set the
SCSI / ATA100 Boot Sequence to [ ATA100/SCSI ] and the
Load Onboard ATA Bois to [ Auto ] ?

*

Old July 10th 03, 09:05 PM
Rick Stewart

Lobo-

What is the manual number so that I can download it from ASUS?

Rick

Old July 10th 03, 09:59 PM
Rick Stewart

I have updated the BIOS to 1012A but still have no option at the BOOT
section for ATA devices.

Rick

Old July 11th 03, 04:12 AM
Matt

Rick-

Download the Manual from Asus. There is a lot of stuff in it about how to
set this up.

Look for

a7v-104.pdf

That is the latest version. I just downloaded it from

http://www.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/sock...7v/a7v-104.pdf

OK?