Disk boot failure insert system disk and press enter

Old October 13th 04, 11:57 PM
Lambo

Default Disk boot failure insert system disk and press enter

I'm gettin this error when I try to start up a computer that I'm fixing for
my friend. It just won't boot, even though i know windows is on the drive.
But for some strange reason, when i leave a bootable xp installation disc in
the cd drive, and it says press any ket to boot from CD, I leave it alone,
then its able to boot into windows and I'm able to work in windows like
nothing is wrong.

I don't get why this is happening. Here are system specs:

Abit IC7 Motherboard
2 160GB Maxtor hard drives with 3 partitions C:, D:, and G:
Pentium 4 2.6 Ghz processor
512 MB Corsair PC3200
ATI Radeon 9600 Pro
D-Link Network card

I built this computer for my friend almost a year ago and it hasn't had any
problems till now. Any help would be appreciated. I've already reinstalled
windows but this same problem still occurs. I've tried deleting all non-dos
partitions and creating new primary dos partitions and installing windows on
top of them. Already tried fixboot and fixmbr through the recovery console.
I've tried changing the boot order in the bios to hard drive first, but the
only way i can get this thing to even boot up is setting CD-ROM to boot
first, hard drive second, then leaving a bootable CD in the drive, but
actually not boot to the CD when asked to.

Thanks
Lam
---
Take out dashes if you want to email me.

Old October 14th 04, 12:39 AM
Shepİ

On Wed, 13 Oct 2004 17:57:00 -0500 There I was minding my own business
and then "Lambo" wrote :

[...]

Usually a failed cable/BIOS or drive

--
Free Windows/PC help,
remove obvious to reply
Old October 14th 04, 01:00 AM
Jason Gallas

:
:I don't get why this is happening. Here are system specs:
:
:Abit IC7 Motherboard
:2 160GB Maxtor hard drives with 3 partitions C:, D:, and G:
:Pentium 4 2.6 Ghz processor
:512 MB Corsair PC3200
:ATI Radeon 9600 Pro
-Link Network card
:
:I built this computer for my friend almost a year ago and it hasn't had any
roblems till now. Any help would be appreciated. I've already reinstalled
:windows but this same problem still occurs. I've tried deleting all non-dos
artitions and creating new primary dos partitions and installing windows on
:top of them. Already tried fixboot and fixmbr through the recovery console.
:I've tried changing the boot order in the bios to hard drive first, but the
nly way i can get this thing to even boot up is setting CD-ROM to boot
:first, hard drive second, then leaving a bootable CD in the drive, but
:actually not boot to the CD when asked to.

It sounds like the NTLDR file is missing, see the following:

If the NTLDR is missing or damaged try the Recovery Console.

To start the computer and use the Recovery Console to replace the boot
sector

"Insert the Windows XP Professional Setup CD-ROM into the CD-ROM
drive.

Restart the computer. If prompted to press a key to start the computer
from the CD-ROM, press the appropriate key.
When the text-based part of Setup begins, follow the prompts. Press
the R key to repair a Windows XP Professional installation.
If you are repairing a system that has more than one operating system
installed, from the Recovery Console choose the Windows XP
Professional installation that you need to repair.
Note

If you press ENTER without typing a number, the Recovery Console quits
and restarts the computer.

The Recovery Console might also show valid installations of Windows NT
4.0. However, the results of attempting to access a Windows NT 4.0
installation can be unpredictable.

When prompted, type the Administrator password. If you do not have the
correct password, or if the security database for the installation of
Windows XP Professional that you are attempting to access is
corrupted, Recovery Console does not allow access to the local disks
and you cannot replace the boot sector.

To replace the boot sector, at the Recovery Console command prompt,
type: fixboot [drive:]

If you do not specify a drive letter, the Recovery Console replaces
the boot sector of the system volume. If you need to replace the boot
sector of a volume that is not the system volume, then you must
specify the appropriate drive letter."