Any final suggestions before placing my order?

Old May 12th 04, 01:37 PM

Default Any final suggestions before placing my order?

Hello,

I posted a question about a week ago asking for feedback on the
components that I selected for my new system. I received a lot of
great responses and changed almost everything that I had selected.

Now I have implemented the suggestions and re-configured my system. I
am within days of ordering and would like to get any last minute ideas
before ordering.

I want the computer to be well rounded with no one weak link. I am
going to use it for everything from tracking my finances with
Microsoft Money to recording my favorite TV shows. Of course the
amount of money I spend on the system is a consideration, but more
importantly I want to get it right the first time.

Link to my configuration:
http://secure.newegg.com/app/WishR.asp?ID=728465

Your input is greatly appreciated. )
Old May 12th 04, 02:11 PM
Paul

Actually, yes, I can make one recommendation.

Go to www.zipzoomfly.com and price out everything you did at newegg.com.
You'll probably save yourself $100 -$200. ZipZoomFly used to be Googlegear.

Also, I was going to purchase the same motherboard you are, the P4C800-E
(if you check Asus' website, there is no reference to a "deluxe" version
of this board, though someone may be able to correct me) and a 3.2ghz
P-4 Northwood. I was wondering why you decided on PC3200 DDRAM and not
the PC3700 DDRAM from Corsair? In doing what research I could, it seems
that the increase in FSB speed (433 vs. 400) offsets the increased CL
value of the 3200 over the 3700. Any info you can give me on this would
be greatly appreciated, since my RAM choice is really the last decision
I'm making.

Paul

Old May 12th 04, 04:21 PM

Actually, yes, I can make one recommendation.

Go to www.zipzoomfly.com and price out everything you did at newegg.com.
You'll probably save yourself $100 -$200. ZipZoomFly used to be Googlegear.

Also, I was going to purchase the same motherboard you are, the P4C800-E
(if you check Asus' website, there is no reference to a "deluxe" version
of this board, though someone may be able to correct me) and a 3.2ghz
P-4 Northwood. I was wondering why you decided on PC3200 DDRAM and not
the PC3700 DDRAM from Corsair? In doing what research I could, it seems
that the increase in FSB speed (433 vs. 400) offsets the increased CL
value of the 3200 over the 3700. Any info you can give me on this would
be greatly appreciated, since my RAM choice is really the last decision
I'm making.

Paul

Hey Paul,

I will go to zipzoomfly.com once everything is set. As you can see, I
am putting newegg's wish list to good use. )

Here is a link to the P4C800-E Deluxe:
http://usa.asus.com/products/mb/sock...d/overview.HTM

The RAM was also my final decision. Here is quote from a knowledgable
person regarding the RAM I chose: "I prefer the Low latency RAM over
the high frequency stuff. Runs faster and stable in my experience."

Thanks for the input and I hope that my info helped you too.
Old May 12th 04, 04:24 PM

I wouldn't go with an ATI video adapter. I personally have had way too
much trouble with drivers and the amount of tweaking necessary to get
adequate performance.

Regards, hawk

Hawk,

Can you recommend a better video adapter? Maybe something from Nvidia
or Hauppauge?
Old May 12th 04, 06:41 PM
JAD

gamer? or video editing? AIW to record home movies? watch TV on the
desktop? Then the 9600 is ok. Gaming or 'benchmarker' FPS obsessed?
yeah then you'll be 'tweaking' otherwise that'll do.

Old May 12th 04, 07:22 PM
ToolPackinMama

Link to my configuration:
http://secure.newegg.com/app/WishR.asp?ID=728465

Your input is greatly appreciated. )

I like the vid card you chose. I have the same one, it's great.
Old May 12th 04, 09:25 PM

Link to my configuration:
http://secure.newegg.com/app/WishR.asp?ID=728465

I like the vid card you chose. I have the same one, it's great.

I figure it should fit my requirements. I would just like to know if
it comes with the remote wonder version one or version two?

Old May 13th 04, 01:29 AM
jpsga

The Seagate is a weak link. The Maxtor 6Y160M0 is about the same price and
and is faster and more reliable.
See the Storage Review write up.
JPS

Old May 13th 04, 03:29 AM
hawk

My experience has been with ATI and Nvidia. My applications include an
older flight simulator, Jane's FA-18 and a new Flight Simulator,
UbiSoft's Lock On. I never got adequate performance and quality from
the ATI despite hours of tweaking both games and card. Nvidia gave
perfect performance and quality out of the box with no tweaking of
game or card. My cards are older than what you have specified. ATI
9000 Pro and Nvidia GeForce4 Ti4200. I would go for the Nvidia
equivalent of the ATI you specified.

Regards, hawk