865 vs 875

Old October 27th 03, 06:57 PM
Dave M

Default 865 vs 875

what are the advantages of intel 865 over 875, or vice-versa
thanks

Old October 27th 03, 07:08 PM
Larc

On Mon, 27 Oct 2003 13:57:29 -0500, Dave M pondered exceedingly, then took quill
in hand and carefully composed...

| what are the advantages of intel 865 over 875, or vice-versa

The main difference I've noticed is that the 875 can handle ECC RAM. The 865
can't. The 875P is recommended for servers. Frankly, the 865 looks like a
better deal to me.

Check this Intel comparison chart:

http://www.intel.com/design/chipsets/linecard.htm

Larc

§§§ - Please raise temperature of mail to reply by e-mail - §§§
Old October 27th 03, 10:18 PM
Dave M

Thats what I got from the chart too, but for some reason I think I had heard
something about higher ram speed support. just can't find anything to back
that up.

Old October 28th 03, 12:46 AM
DaveW

The 875 runs about 7% faster due to a built in Intel accelerator app.

--
DaveW

Old October 28th 03, 04:39 AM
Evil Homer

"DaveW" wrote in message

The 875 runs about 7% faster due to a built in Intel accelerator app.

That can be activated in some 865 motherboards!!

Old October 28th 03, 08:27 AM
@drian

"Dave M" wrote in message
what are the advantages of intel 865 over 875, or vice-versa
thanks

The 875 has the following over the 865 boards:

a) ECC RAM support
b) Performance Acceleration Technology (built into the Gigabit LAN & memory
controller)
c) Unsure, but I suspect Serial ATA RAID built into the ICH5-R southbridge

@drian.

Old October 28th 03, 10:14 PM
Dave M

I am pretty sure the sata is on both, ich5r comes with both from what I
have seen. It must be the eec issue I could not remember.
Thanks

Old October 28th 03, 11:31 PM
@drian

"Dave M" wrote in message
I am pretty sure the sata is on both, ich5r comes with both from what I
have seen. It must be the eec issue I could not remember.
Thanks

OK, have a better list for you.

The 875 has the following over the 865 boards:

a) ECC RAM support
b) Performance Acceleration Technology (PAT)
c) 875 boards do not support Celeron's

That's all the differences I can see.

@drian.