what card to get?

Old August 22nd 05, 08:33 PM
scott armstrong

Default what card to get?

i have been offered a 6800gt agp 256mb card for £120. shall i go for this
card or do you recommend something better for around the same price?

my pc specs are.....

xp2800 barton
abit an7 mobo
1 gb pc3200 ram
sata raid 0 160gb
msi gf 4 ti4800se

many thanks

scotty

Old August 22nd 05, 09:18 PM
rms

Sounds fine to me; overclock that barton some

rms

Old August 23rd 05, 02:15 AM
looney

I just upgraded to the GFX 6800 gt/oc and it made a BIG difference. Ours
specs are almost alike.

Old August 23rd 05, 05:28 AM
MP

"scott armstrong" wrote:

i have been offered a 6800gt agp 256mb card for £120. shall i go for this
card or do you recommend something better for around the same price?

my pc specs are.....

xp2800 barton
abit an7 mobo
1 gb pc3200 ram
sata raid 0 160gb
msi gf 4 ti4800se

Scotty:

Since I'm American, here are the current conversions:

£160 British Pounds Sterling (BPS) = $288.16 US Dollars (USD).

Ask the seller:

What the heck *brand* of card is it?

If it is a BFG Tech brand, then ask if the card is the newer version with
dual, smaller fans, shown here (picture courtesy of the eBay seller):

This card has the smaller dual fans, but I prefer the previous model - one
large cooling fan.

Anyone care to comment about the difference?

One fan, or two on the BFG nVidia GeForce 6800 GT OC 256MB AGP?

But back to the U.S. eBay auction:

The buyer paid $284.00 USD (including $10.00 USD shipping, but in U.S.A.
only), so:

$284.00 US Dollars = £157.73 British Pounds Sterling (BPS)

If the card is a BFG, then I would go for it - after testing it, of course.
And make sure the (Lifetime) warranty is transferable.

By the way, I have a very similar system (a bit beefier in all components
but similar, nonetheless). The BFG nVidia 6800GT OC (and yes, its AGP) card
has been my best upgrade yet.

Just make sure you test it out.

Mark

Old August 23rd 05, 05:38 AM
MP

"MP" screwed up:

Since I'm American, here are the current conversions:

£160 British Pounds Sterling (GBP) = $288.16 US Dollars (USD).

Oops.You said: *£120*, NOT £160.

So, in GBP, it would be:

£120 British Pounds = $216.12 US Dollars.

Now compare it to the eBay auction here (and in my previous post) which sold
for $284.00 - including the $10.00 U.S. shipping (only):

Again:

What *brand* is the card, please?

Mark

Old August 25th 05, 05:40 PM