Problems with drivers

Old December 21st 07, 08:48 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Knud Rasmussen

Default Problems with drivers

HI - I have problems with the new Nvidia driver 169.25. My card is a 8800
GTS and the problem is that when I have installed the driver, just when
vista is showing, the monitor shuts down. My monitor is a IBM G96. I have no
problems with driver ver. 163.75. When I start in rec. mode, I can't see my
monitor in my hardware monitor. Can anyone help me with this problem.

KR

Old December 21st 07, 10:52 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
First of One[_2_]

You mean the monitor shuts down on the next boot, just when Vista is
showing? What if you power on your monitor after Vista has finished loading?

Old December 22nd 07, 11:23 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Jeepers Creepers

"Knud Rasmussen" wrote in message
HI - I have problems with the new Nvidia driver 169.25. My card is a 8800
GTS and the problem is that when I have installed the driver, just when
vista is showing, the monitor shuts down. My monitor is a IBM G96. I have
no problems with driver ver. 163.75. When I start in rec. mode, I can't
see my monitor in my hardware monitor. Can anyone help me with this
problem.

KR

I had a similar problem, it was just me having left my tv connected via
s-video, and this was the only display being used. I was confused for ages
until I realised, unplugged the tv and the monitor worked fine...

-Jeepers

Old December 22nd 07, 05:23 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Knud Rasmussen

Thank you for the answers

I have my tv connected with s-video, so may be that is the problem. Did you
connect the TV after installing the driver ????

KR

Old December 24th 07, 01:54 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Gorby

Knud Rasmussen wrote:
HI - I have problems with the new Nvidia driver 169.25. My card is a
8800 GTS and the problem is that when I have installed the driver, just
when vista is showing, the monitor shuts down. My monitor is a IBM G96.
I have no problems with driver ver. 163.75. When I start in rec. mode, I
can't see my monitor in my hardware monitor. Can anyone help me with
this problem.

KR

Hi Knud,
This is a well known problem with Vista and the Drivers.
It has been discussed for a great deal of time on the NVIDIA website
forums (and still continues)

http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?s...3671&start=100

I have had this problem in the past and continue to get it whenever I
"play" with the Registry, either by upgrading video drivers or using
"tweak" software to improve performance of Vista.

My problem is that after rebooting from (let's say) updating video
drivers, the monitor works - shows BIOS screen, then the little green
Windows boxes at the beginning of startup. Then, when you should get the
circular Windows logo, the screen comes up with "no signal". I still get
the sound signals that Windows Vista is starting up, but the screen
remains blank.

I have found that I can get the PC to go to Sleep Mode, then Resume it,
and the monitor comes back! However the resolution is decreased. I have
gone into Device Manager and noticed that the monitor thinks it is a NON
Plug and Play device. Aha! Therein lies the rub!

Windows has "forgotten" how to communicate to the monitor correctly!

So far, fixing this is easy. Simply power off the monitor for a couple
of minutes - while the PC is turned on. I also unplugged the power cord
and the video cable, but don't know if that is necessary.
When I plugged in the monitor and turned it on again, Windows comes up
with "new hardware detected" and loads plug and play monitor drivers,
and everything works correctly again.

Cheers
Gordy

PS. I can't say that this will fix your problem. I had been tearing my
hair out over a few months because of this. I had returned the PC to the
shop I purchased it from. They had even changed video cards to an ATI card.

It was only after reading the nVidia Forum, and (purely by chance)
sleeping the PC and resuming, then looking in Device Manager did I work
out my "fix"

Is it a Vista problem? nVidia? ATI? Who knows!? But I bloody wish
someone would fix it!
Old December 24th 07, 02:02 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Gorby

Gorby wrote:
Knud Rasmussen wrote:
[...]

FYI,
I'm using Windows Vista Home Premium (32 bit)
GeForce 8800GTS 640 MB
22inch LCD monitor using DVI.
Old December 24th 07, 07:52 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Knud Rasmussen

"Gorby" skrev i meddelelsen
Gorby wrote:
Knud Rasmussen wrote:
[...]

Hi Gordy

One of the advice given here, was to disconnect the s-video from the video
card, just unplug the cable, and it works. Now there is no problem, and I
connected it again after installing the driver, and again no problem. It was
the driver version 169.25 from Nvidia, but it gave me a slower PC, and when
I look at the TV there was bad colors. In Microsoft flight simulator X, I
got a very slow performance, so I went back to the old driver ver 163.75,
and now everything is working max. Merry christmas to you, and thank you for
the answers

KR