GA-8IEXP BIOS flashing procedure

Old February 3rd 11, 03:43 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte
Russell May

Default GA-8IEXP BIOS flashing procedure

I have a 2002-vintage Gigabyte GA-8IEXP version 1.2 motherboard, now
using a 2.4GHz Pentium CPU and BIOS version F8. I am hoping to install
a 3.06MHz CPU with HT (hyperthreading) and BIOS version F9, which
supports HT. I have not yet installed the new CPU.

I changed the original F7 BIOS to F8 in 2002 but I do not remember
what procedure I used. I think it was the"Dual BIOS/Q-Flash" utility
from the BIOS Setup.

I have FLASH860.EXE and FLASH864.EXE programs, and 8IEXP.F8 and
8IEXP.F9 BIOS files. I have an eSATA controller board for use with an
external backup drive.

I made a boot diskette, extracted the FLASH864.EXE and 8iEXP.f8 Files
to it, and booted from it. The program lists N82802AB firmware hubs
and 28F004BX-T flash memories, and says I have an SST 49LF004A
"module". (It is a firmware hub). I don't know whether to change
anything, so I did not proceed. There is nothing about this that I see
in the Gigabyte manual.

I attempted to use the "Dual BIOS/Q-Flash" utility via the BIOS Setup
but it says the main BIOS and backup BIOS are both protected, and
refuses to change either of them. There is nothing about this that I
see in the Gigabyte manual. How can I get around it?

Old February 3rd 11, 02:21 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte
Russell May

On Wed, 02 Feb 2011 20:43:57 -0600, Russell May wrote:

[...]

I remembered that I used the Gigabyte Windows Utility Manager (GWUM
1999) program to flash the F8 BIOS in 2002. I used the GWUM to flash
the F9 BIOS in preparation for the 3.06GHz CPU. That was successful
but GWUM does not have any option for updating the backup BIOS, which
still is probably the original F7 BIOS.