Building a PC - bundle suggestions

Old December 15th 10, 12:20 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte
Ed Light

Default Building a PC - bundle suggestions

On 12/14/2010 11:41 AM, Phat_Jethro wrote:

Mother board of GA-770T-USB3... any issues with it having a slightly
older chipset? I am out of the loop on AMD chipsets so just asking.

Not that I know of. You could check out more expensive boards and the
user reviews of them on newegg.

--
Ed Light

Better World News TV Channel:
http://realnews.com

Iraq Veterans Against the War and Related:
http://ivaw.org
http://couragetoresist.org
http://antiwar.com

Send spam to the FTC at

Thanks, robots.

Old December 15th 10, 12:32 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte
Paul in Houston TX

Ed Light wrote:
Paul, what OS are you using?

Thanks.

XP2. Will probably stick with it until there is
no software left for 32 bit o/s's.
Yea, I know, 6 gig ram and only 3.5 works.
I have a pile of hdd's and have been thinking of
some sort of linux/unix... When I have time.
Old December 15th 10, 03:26 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte
Ed Light

On 12/14/2010 4:32 PM, Paul in Houston TX wrote:
Ed Light wrote:
Paul, what OS are you using?

Thanks.

XP2.

They had a run of not so great ATI XP drivers recently. It seemed to
clear up with 10.10. I wish I had some crt's around to test for the bug.

Old December 16th 10, 12:18 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte
Paul in Houston TX

Ed Light wrote:
Is there a utility to show the actual monitor refresh rate?

Interesting idea. I don't know the answer though.
My eyes do pretty good and can tell the difference
between 60, 72, and 85, but not the actual numbers.
Old December 16th 10, 04:03 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte
Monty[_3_]

On Wed, 15 Dec 2010 14:10:30 -0800, Ed Light
wrote:

Is there a utility to show the actual monitor refresh rate?

Yes.

You might find SIW (System Information for Windows) will do what you
want. http://www.gtopala.com/ Drill down to Video in the Hardware
section and then to Monitor.

HTH
Old December 16th 10, 05:23 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte
Ed Light

On 12/15/2010 4:18 PM, Paul in Houston TX wrote:
Ed Light wrote:
Is there a utility to show the actual monitor refresh rate?

Interesting idea. I don't know the answer though.
My eyes do pretty good and can tell the difference
between 60, 72, and 85, but not the actual numbers.

After what you said, I have to wonder if when I set my LCD to 75, if
it's really at 60.

Old December 16th 10, 06:37 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte
Paul in Houston TX

Ed Light wrote:
Is there a utility to show the actual monitor refresh rate?

Interesting idea. I don't know the answer though.
My eyes do pretty good and can tell the difference
between 60, 72, and 85, but not the actual numbers.

After what you said, I have to wonder if when I set my LCD to 75, if
it's really at 60.

Everything that I have read says the frame rate of LCD's
is 60 hz, or 120 hz for newer large 3D screens (60 hz per eye ball)
and cannot be changed. 240 hz came out recently.

I just installed the freeware version of Sys Info for Windows
that Monty suggested. It shows my vid at 85 hz.
(It looks like a great program, too - Thanks Monty.)