vga heatsink removal - ti4200

Old October 29th 04, 05:14 PM
tom

Default vga heatsink removal - ti4200

Hi,

i want to remove the fan from my gf4200, but its fixed with
some kind of glue to the gpu.

I read that freezing it for 20 min will weaken the glue, so it would
be possible to remove the sink without damage.

Any additional ideas here are welcome.

Tom
Old October 30th 04, 02:42 AM
Mac Cool

tom:

i want to remove the fan from my gf4200, but its fixed with
some kind of glue to the gpu.

No it isn't, the fan is affixed to the heat sink, probably with screws and
the heat sink is glued to the GPU.

I read that freezing it for 20 min will weaken the glue, so it would
be possible to remove the sink without damage.

Just buy a new fan.
--
Mac Cool
Old October 30th 04, 05:19 PM
tom

On Sat, 30 Oct 2004 01:42:38 GMT, Mac Cool wrote:

tom:

i want to remove the fan from my gf4200, but its fixed with
some kind of glue to the gpu.

No it isn't, the fan is affixed to the heat sink, probably with screws and
the heat sink is glued to the GPU.

I read that freezing it for 20 min will weaken the glue, so it would
be possible to remove the sink without damage.

Just buy a new fan.

The heatsink is merely some chunk of metal and its barely
able to do some cooling on its own. Last fan i used, allowed only
80% of original FPS and now its dead, after only 4 months.

Old October 30th 04, 07:38 PM
spodosaurus

tom wrote:
Hi,

i want to remove the fan from my gf4200, but its fixed with
some kind of glue to the gpu.

I read that freezing it for 20 min will weaken the glue, so it would
be possible to remove the sink without damage.

Any additional ideas here are welcome.

Tom

First hit on a google search you lazy *******:

http://www.overclockercafe.com/Artic...U-HSF_Removal/

neighbours from crime, and became the victim of it. To jump to the end
of the story, as a result of this I need a bone marrow transplant. Many
people around the world are waiting for a marrow transplant, too. Please
volunteer to be a marrow donor:
http://www.abmdr.org.au/
http://www.marrow.org/
Old October 31st 04, 11:40 AM
tom

On Sun, 31 Oct 2004 02:38:22 +0800, spodosaurus
wrote:

tom wrote:
Hi,

i want to remove the fan from my gf4200, but its fixed with
some kind of glue to the gpu.

I read that freezing it for 20 min will weaken the glue, so it would
be possible to remove the sink without damage.

Any additional ideas here are welcome.

Tom

First hit on a google search you lazy *******:

http://www.overclockercafe.com/Artic...U-HSF_Removal/

thx for the link. it basically suggests to remove the sink, while its
hot, with some precautions. still this doesnt sound too satisfying
as i already tried to remove the sink by force, but it didnt move at
all. i somewhat doubt that +100 degree on the sink would make
much difference, but i will try anyway tomorrow.

Tom
Neu bei EBAY:
8 Euro Mahngebühren schon ab der 2ten Woche,
jede 2te Woche, bei Forderungen ab 1,37 Euro.

Herzlichen Glückwunsch !
Old October 31st 04, 12:29 PM
spodosaurus

wrote:

tom wrote:

Hi,

i want to remove the fan from my gf4200, but its fixed with
some kind of glue to the gpu.

I read that freezing it for 20 min will weaken the glue, so it would
be possible to remove the sink without damage.

Any additional ideas here are welcome.

Tom

First hit on a google search you lazy *******:

http://www.overclockercafe.com/Artic...U-HSF_Removal/

thx for the link. it basically suggests to remove the sink, while its
hot, with some precautions. still this doesnt sound too satisfying
as i already tried to remove the sink by force, but it didnt move at
all. i somewhat doubt that +100 degree on the sink would make
much difference, but i will try anyway tomorrow.

let me know how it goes. If it doesn't work, I'll do some more
searching, as this might be an issue I'll have to deal with at some point.

Old October 31st 04, 07:49 PM
Mac Cool

tom:

Just buy a new fan.

The heatsink is merely some chunk of metal and its barely
able to do some cooling on its own. Last fan i used, allowed only
80% of original FPS and now its dead, after only 4 months.

Stop complaining about every solution offered to you. The smart bet is to
replace the fan, rather than replacing the whole sink/fan assembly just
because the fan burned up. Buy a quality fan and be done with it.
--
Mac Cool
Old November 1st 04, 10:24 PM
tom

wrote:

tom wrote:

[...]

I tried to force it off today with a flat screwdriver and a visiting
card, anything else would have been to thick anyway. As the
sink almost blocks any view on the gpu and the rim of it consists
only of some weak spikes, i didnt knew that i was forcing the sink
off between gpu-pcb and sink, as opposed to sink and and main
gfxcard pcb. It didnt work on the first try, but the damage
was already done. The visiting card didnt stand the force.
6 tries later the sink popped off.

I didnt used much force, but finding the right spot was very
difficult, as the sink didnt offered much usable hold.

R.I.P. Ti4200

If u should ever do this, try the freezing method first and remember
to be patient enough, to let it dry some hours before using it again.

Tom