NEW BUILD TROUBLESHOOTING

Old February 9th 08, 02:29 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
[email protected]

Default NEW BUILD TROUBLESHOOTING

Quick Question:

If a new build wont go beyond the LOGO SCREEN. Not posting.

1. If the CPU is not working, will the video card work (LOGO SCREEN)?

2. If there are no drives attached will nit still post (BIOS)?

3. If the ram is bad will Bios Post?

Thanks, I'm trying to figure out what isn't working?

Peace

Max
Old February 9th 08, 05:43 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
[email protected]

Thanks guys,

The MB is a Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3L. Bought new yesterday. Revision 2.
This system has never run. When the Logo screen comes up it lists the
Bios keys you can press. nothing happens when I press, DEL or TAB or
END. I have never gotten into the bios.

I bought this at Frys. They were not to knowledgable this evening.
They said to reset the Bios. i will try that. Perhaps the board is not
able to run the new e8400 CPU. But I thought i read elsewhere, that
even if you need to update bios for the e8400, you'd be able to get
deep enough into the bios to do that.

I'm glad it sounds like my CPU is okay. I put in a replacement
Motherboard but I only get to the LOGO Screen.

I don't have another 775 chip to try to get into bios and flash.

i don't think I can find out the bios version from the exterior?

Wish me luck.

Max

On Feb 8, 7:26 pm, Paul wrote:
wrote:
Quick Question:

If a new build wont go beyond the LOGO SCREEN. Not posting.

1. If the CPU is not working, will the video card work (LOGO SCREEN)?

2. If there are no drives attached will nit still post (BIOS)?

3. If the ram is bad will Bios Post?

Thanks, I'm trying to figure out what isn't working?

Peace

Max

If you've got a logo on the screen, a lot of stuff has to work for that
to happen. For example, if video wasn't working, the computer would beep
the case speaker (the one connected to SPKR pins). If RAM and video are
working, but there are still errors, then an error message can be printed
on the screen (such as "no keyboard").

Consult the manual, as to which key to press to get into the BIOS. On
my computer, I believe it is the Delete key.

Once in the BIOS, locate the Logo setting, and disable the Logo image.
That will make it easier to observe messages on the screen at startup.

Also, in your original post, you didn't give a complete model number
for the motherboard.

If drives are not connected, then eventually the BIOS will complain
about being unable to find something to boot with.

Paul

Old February 9th 08, 07:35 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
[email protected]

hello!

Actually everything came from Fry's but I drove 90 miles to
microCenter and got my e8400 for $189.99 + tax. Fry's doesn't even
sell them yet.

I've downloaded the bios. I'll see how I can get my board flashed.
Hopefully that is the problem.

Thanks for everyone's prompt help!!

Max

On Feb 8, 10:43 pm, "RobV" wrote:
wrote:
[...]

OK, here's the page at Gigabyte on the MB (rev 2 version):http://www.gigabyte.us/Products/Moth...erview.aspx?Pr...

The Intel P35 chipset does support the Wolfdale 45nm CPUs, but the BIOS
must have support for it as well.

This is the list of BIOS updates, the most current being F8a released
12/06/07, which gives support specifically for the Wolfdale (E8xxx)
CPUs.http://www.gigabyte.us/Support/Mothe...spx?ProductID=...

Depending on when that MB was manufactured, it can have (and probably
does have) an earlier BIOS that doesn't support the E8xxx. I have no
idea what the BIOS update changes to support the E8xxx CPUs, but the F8a
version is the one you need for the MB to properly recognize and run the
E8400.

What I would do if resetting the BIOS doesn't work and you can't get
into it to flash to the latest BIOS, is go to Frys and have them lend
you a E6600, or some other Conroe core CPU. That way, you could flash
to the proper BIOS, then give it right back. Frys should go along with
it, especially since they probably soaked you on the price of the E8400
(MSRP from Intel is $183).

Good luck! Let us (TINU) know what happens.

Old February 9th 08, 08:45 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Paul

wrote:
[...]

The CPU support for E8400, would have been added pretty recently. I checked
the BIOS downloads, and F8a was released Dec.6 of last year. Chances
are, you are not running that BIOS right now. A reviewer on Newegg,
says he got a board with F7 BIOS and the E8400 ran with it. So apparently
the latest BIOS is not an absolute requirement (on some brands of
motherboards, you wouldn't be getting anywhere with the wrong BIOS,
so this is good news). Another reviewer got a board with an F6
BIOS and that ran the E8400 as well. Apparently the BIOS is not in
a socket on this motherboard.

http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/Support/M...ProductID=2629

There are hundreds of reviews here. The reviews claim the same Newegg
order number is used for Rev.1 and Rev.2, which is a minor inconvenience
in terms of using the info here.

If I'm reading the manual right, pressing tab is supposed to make
the full screen logo go away. del should allow entering the BIOS.
So it must be getting stuck after putting up that logo.

Is the keyboard being used, a PS/2 or a USB ?

If the keyboard lights are no longer flashing, then maybe it isn't
even getting as far as accessing the keyboard.

There is a description in the manual for the CLR_CMOS header. Unplug
the computer before going near it. To reset the CMOS, short the two
pins together for a short time, while the computer is unplugged. The
pins are to be left disconnected, before plugging back in. You're
not supposed to leave any jumper cap on it.

When you've been fooling around with the RAM, have you turned off the
power at the back in each case ? The RAM socket still has power if the
computer supply is on at the back. As long as you're still seeing
the logo, I don't expect anything is busted. I'm surprised you aren't
getting any beep codes through the computer case speaker, while you're
trying your various tests (like removing all the RAM should have
given a beep code for "missing RAM").

So I'm stumped. I don't see an easy way out of this, short of buying
the cheapest compatible Celeron D you can find, for testing. I mean,
it could be related to the use of a PCI video card, but you did get
the logo...

Paul
Old February 9th 08, 04:22 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
[email protected]

Greetings!

Yes, I have both a USB an PS/2 keyboard I've tried. But no effect when
pressing any of the bio related keys. Just the logo screen. I did try
reseting the bios by shorting those 2 pins for a few seconds. When I
restrarted, No change.

I also read others with older bios were able to flash their bios. So
even if my bios are not F8a as needed, I should be able to get into
the bios.

I'm on my second motherboard, so I don't think the first one was
defective. The CPU appears to be okay, Video is working. I have only
one of my 2 2gig OCZ DDR2 PC6400 chips in. I'm not 100% but I don't
believe the ram is causing any trouble.

Thanks

max

http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/Support/M...rt_Model.aspx?...

Old February 9th 08, 08:09 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
[email protected]

Default John Doe - Professional Spammer

John Doe, really Mark Bender, is Spamming the comp.speech.users group
again. For everyone's edification, here is his dossier. He was
arrested and booked twice for domestic violence. They do not book you
for simple verbal assault. He was apparently sued into poverty as
well.

Sincerely,
Martin Markoe, real person real name

29-10947 Mark O. Bender
7/25/2007 Dossier

REQUEST OF CLIENT

On July 24, 2007, Martin Markoe with eMicrophones, Inc. contacted XXX
and Associates, with the request for a full background/dossier on Mr.
Mark O. Bender.

SUMMARY OF INVESTIGATION

Our office found Mr. Mark Bender's current address is 509 Frost, SATX
78201, to be owned by Ms. Gloria Trevino. There are many rental homes
in this area. Mr. Bender has never owned property. He does not own a
vehicle. He doesn't have a TX Driver's license. He does have a TX
State ID. He has been arrested twice for Assault/Family/Domestic
Violence. Both charges were dismissed. There is a possibility that the
"Mark Bender" named in the Bexar County Civil case for damages could
be the same Mark Orrin Bender with in this report. The court documents
would to be ordered at any additional cost to the client.

Custom Comprehensive Report
Date: 07/24/07

Report processed by:
San Antonio, TX 78230
(210) 342-0509 Main Phone
(210) 342-0731 Fax Report Legend:
- Shared Address
- Deceased
- Probable Current Address

Subject Information:
Name: MARK ORRIN BENDER DOB:01/22/1957
SSN: 507-82-xxxx issued in Nebraska between 01/01/1972 and
12/31/1973
Age: 50

People at Work:
[None Found]

Driver's License/State ID Information:

Texas ID Detail:

Name
BENDER,MARK ORRIN License number
20826255 Address
5320 BLANCO #1803 DOB
Jan 22 1957
Class
I City/Zip
SAN ANTONIO 78216 Last transaction date
Apr 9 2003 Last transaction
Original, not permit or MRDL

Above information as provided by state - Our annotations are below
Address (click to find others)
5320 Blanco Rd Apt 1803
City/State/Zip (click to find others)
San Antonio , TX 78216-7052

Address Summary:
509 FROST, SAN ANTONIO TX 78201-3347, BEXAR COUNTY (Nov 2005 -
May 2007)
4210 309 APT B, SAN ANTONIO TX 78201, BEXAR COUNTY (Dec 2002 -
Oct 2003)
4210 FREDERICKSBURG RD APT B309, SAN ANTONIO TX 78201-1912,
BEXAR COUNTY (Jan 1991 - Jan 1999)
5347 BLANCO RD APT B8, SAN ANTONIO TX 78216-7027, BEXAR COUNTY
(Apr 1986 - Dec 1992)
4210 FREDERICKSBURG RD APT B316, SAN ANTONIO TX 78201-1914,
BEXAR COUNTY
7458 LOUIS PASTEUR DR APT 701, SAN ANTONIO TX 78229-4517, BEXAR
COUNTY

Active Address(es):
MARK O BENDER - 509 FROST, SAN ANTONIO TX 78201-3347, BEXAR
COUNTY (Nov 2005 - May 2007)
Current phones listed at this address:
BENDER MARK (210) 734-3107
TREVINO MICHELLE (210) 736-5743

Previous And Non-Verified Address(es):
MARK ORRIN BENDER - 4210 309 APT B, SAN ANTONIO TX 78201,
BEXAR COUNTY (Dec 2002 - Oct 2003)

MARK O BENDER - 4210 FREDERICKSBURG RD APT B309, SAN ANTONIO
TX 78201-1912, BEXAR COUNTY (Jan 1991 - Jan 1999)
SANTA FE PLACE (210) 735-8767

MARK O BENDER - 5347 BLANCO RD APT B8, SAN ANTONIO TX
78216-7027, BEXAR COUNTY (Apr 1986 - Dec 1992)
NIMITZ APARTMENTS (210) 341-5285

MARK O BENDER - 4210 FREDERICKSBURG RD APT B316, SAN ANTONIO
TX 78201-1914, BEXAR COUNTY
SANTA FE PLACE (210) 735-8767

Possible Properties Owned by Subject:
[None Found]

Motor Vehicles Registered To Subject:
[None Found]

Possible Criminal Records:
Texas Arrest Report:
Name: MARK BEDNER
SSN: 507-82-xxxx
Address: 5200 BLANCO RD 407, SAN ANTONIO TX 78216-7074
State of Origin: Texas
County of Origin: Bexar
Party Status: REL'D ON P-R BOND
DOB: 01/22/1957
Race: White
Sex: Male
Eyes: BLUE
Height: 5' 06"
Weight: 160

Arrests:
Arrest #1
Case Type:
Arrest Date: 01/25/1987
Arresting Agency:
Arrest Type:
Arrest Disposition Date: 01/25/1987
Court Fine: Offense: ASSAULT-BODILY INJURY
Arrest Statute:
Agency Case #: 366381
Arrest Level/Degree: Class A Misdemeanor
Arrest Disposition: BOOKED

CASE NUMBER 366381 displayed
successfully
Bexar County Criminal Justice Information System
07/24/2007
Texas Case Page
10:46:19

Court Case Number Defendant Name
Date of
CR7 366381 BEDNER,
MARK Birth

01/22/1957
Offense Description Level Sex:
MALE
02/21/1986 ASSAULT-BODILY INJURY MA Race:
WHITE
Location :
CLOSED
Last Setting: Grand Jury: 05/13/1986
FILED
Case Status: 06/29/1987 *** JN CLOSED
***
Disposition : 06/29/1987 DSMD-INTRST
JUSTCE

Judgement :
Bond: CLS 06/29/1987
1500.00
Start: End: By: BAIL BONDS,
PERSONAL

Defense Attorneys Bar Number Yrs Mo Dy
Hrs
MIKE HERVEY 9546500
Term:

Fine:
Court
Cost:

CASE NUMBER 348742 displayed
successfully
Bexar County Criminal Justice Information System
07/25/2007
Texas Case Page
09:57:05
Court Case Number Defendant Name
Date of
CR7 348742 BEDNER, MARK
Birth

01/22/1957
Offense Description Level Sex:
MALE
08/05/1985 ASSAULT-BODILY INJURY MA Race:
WHITE
Location :
CLOSED
Last Setting: 09/23/1985 TRIAL Grand Jury: 08/12/1985
FILED
Case Status: 08/12/1988 *** JN CLOSED
***
Disposition : 09/23/1985 DSMD-
OTHER

Judgement :
Bond: CLS 09/23/1985
800.00
Start: End: By: BAIL BONDS, PERSONAL
PROGRAM

Defense Attorneys Bar Number Yrs Mo Dy
Hrs
MERCEDES JEAN KUTCH 11770545 Term:

Fine:
Court Cost:

Bexar Possible Civil:

Cause Nbr 1986CI10562 displayed
successfully
***** Bexar County Centralized Docket System
*****
07/24/2007 - Docket Information -
11:04:15
Selection: __ Actions: _
(A,C,D,M,P)
CASE NBR: 1986CI10562____ PRINT RT LABELS? N (Y/
N)

Date Filed: 06/12/1986 Court: 166_ Unpaid Balance:
0.00
Type of Docket: PID__ PERSONAL INJURY &
DAMAGES

* * * S T Y L E * *
*
MAX WHITMAN & HARRIET
WHITMAN_____________________
VS MARK BENDER
&_____________________________________

Old February 10th 08, 03:40 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
pcbldrNinetyEight

wrote in
:

On Feb 9, 12:45 am, Paul wrote:
wrote:
[...]

..

[...]

Remove the first DIMM and try the other one.

--
pcbldrNinetyEight