where to look for a replacement

Old January 21st 07, 03:00 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
bullseye

Default where to look for a replacement

My 32MB Nvidia Geforce2 GTS may be dying and I wish to get a replacement
for it before the cards in this range diappear. I have a Dell Dimension
4100 and I believe 64, maybe 128 megs are the maximum the motherboard
can take. I do not play games or overclock. I prefer a new card over a
refurbished.

Someone recommended the Nvidia 6200. Is that a good recommendation? Is
$30 to $50 a reasonable price range? Where can I purchase a card?

thank you

--

If you wish to reply using e-mail, please use my gmail address and send
it to RassBariaw.
Old January 21st 07, 03:32 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
DRS

"bullseye" wrote in message

My 32MB Nvidia Geforce2 GTS may be dying and I wish to get a
replacement for it before the cards in this range diappear. I have a
Dell Dimension 4100 and I believe 64, maybe 128 megs are the maximum
the motherboard can take. I do not play games or overclock. I
prefer a new card over a refurbished.

You may be confusing system memory with video card memory. The Dimension
4100 can accomodate 2 x 256MB PC-133 SDRAM. It has an AGP 2.0 (4x or 2x)
slot for video. The AGP card conector must be 32-bit but that's got nothing
to do with how the onboard memory is organised. An overly large AGP
aperture could theoretically eat into your very limited system RAM.

Someone recommended the Nvidia 6200. Is that a good recommendation? Is
$30 to $50 a reasonable price range? Where can I purchase a card?

The 6200 would probably be fine if you don't play games. You'll need to
avoid any more current cards like the 7600GS AGP that require supplementary
power from the PSU because your 200W PSU has only 6A on the 12v rail. Older
AGP card like the 6200 draw all their power from the bus.

Old January 21st 07, 05:19 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
bullseye

Thank you for the detailed reply, which also brings up another question:
I see DDR mentioned on most of the cards that I see and you mention
SDRAM; would that matter for my system? Also, I do have extra PCI
slots, would it matter if I were to get a PCI card instead of an AGP
card? Could you point me to one or two retailers? I tried Newegg; I
tried pricegrabber, Pricewatch, and the big box retailers (Best Buy,
Circuit City, Compusa) but they appear to be pushing 256 MB and up disks.

(Also, when I checked under system and devices, my card appears to be on
a PCI slot; getting me confused; but the slot has a lever on it; is this
the AGP or the PCI slot?)

Old January 21st 07, 07:23 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
DRS

"bullseye" wrote in message

Thank you for the detailed reply, which also brings up another
question: I see DDR mentioned on most of the cards that I see and you
mention SDRAM; would that matter for my system?

Video and system RAM are independent.

Also, I do have
extra PCI slots, would it matter if I were to get a PCI card instead
of an AGP card?

PCI cards are among the slowest around, are very old and accordingly
difficult to find. AGP was developed primarily because of PCI's limitations
as a bus for video cards. Do not confuse PCI with PCIe.

Could you point me to one or two retailers? I tried
Newegg; I tried pricegrabber, Pricewatch, and the big box retailers
(Best Buy, Circuit City, Compusa) but they appear to be pushing 256
MB and up disks.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...SubCategory=48

On a P3 1Ghz box with 512MB and AGP 4x there's absolutely no point going
stupid on the video card. If you've been happy with the Geforce 2 you'd
probably be just as happy with an FX5200 for $30 (did I just recommend a
5200? somebody slap me).

(Also, when I checked under system and devices, my card appears to be
on a PCI slot; getting me confused; but the slot has a lever on it;
is this the AGP or the PCI slot?)

Slots are usually colour coded, so you should be able to tell the single AGP
slot apart from the five PCI slots easily enough. The AGP slot should also
be closest to the CPU with the PCI slots below it.

Old January 21st 07, 08:08 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Larry Roberts

On Mon, 22 Jan 2007 06:23:58 +1100, "DRS"
wrote:

"bullseye" wrote in message

[...]

I'd not recommend the FX5200. Most FX5200's still on the
market are of the 64bit memory bus versions. Games he plays on the GF2
GTS may not run as well on the FX5200 64bit card (they are that bad).
If he doesn't play any 3D games, then the FX5200 would do, but then
even an old Matrox AGP would problably do as well. The 6200 AGP cards
are priced as low as $40.00, and even though they are 64bit cards as
well, they will out perform an FX5200 with a 128bit bus.
Old January 21st 07, 09:06 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
bullseye

I have been looking at few AGP cards and I will look at the 6200 (and
maybe even post about what I get to get feedback from you folks).

Thank you folks for the updates.

Old January 21st 07, 09:09 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
bullseye

Would this card serve my needs?

eVGA 128-A8-N294-LX GeForce 6200 LE 128MB 64-bit DDR AGP 4X/8X Video
Card -

Old January 22nd 07, 04:06 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
DRS

"bullseye" wrote in message

Would this card serve my needs?

eVGA 128-A8-N294-LX GeForce 6200 LE 128MB 64-bit DDR AGP 4X/8X Video
Card -

What are your needs? We only know that you have a Geforce 2 Ultra and you
don't play games.

"LE" is usually translated in here as Low End. It's right at the bottom of
the 6200 range. Does it matter? Probably not on a rig as old and
underpowered as yours if all you do is surf the web and send emails.

Old January 22nd 07, 04:21 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Phil Weldon

'DRS' wrote, in part:
| An overly large AGP aperture could theoretically eat
| into your very limited system RAM.
_____

"AGP Aperture" is memory space allowed for mapping AGP data. It is not
physical memory.

Phil Weldon

Old January 22nd 07, 04:42 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
bullseye

No games, no movies; just general web surfing but a lot of charts. What
would I get with a better video card and how much more would I pay?
this one is about $40, I can consider paying another $10 or $20 for
better quality (durability).