n00b resolution question

Old December 12th 06, 05:25 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
kris.P

Default n00b resolution question

Hi,

I'm new to LCD displays and nice video cards... I've been using more
budget-oriented computers up to now. So I just got a 14" widescreen
Asus that runs in 1440x900 native. It looks fantastic, but things are
a bit small. I tried switching to other smaller resolutions to make
things bigger but everything looks blurry--really crappy, like old
CRT's. Why does this happen, and does anyone have a solution?

Thanks,
Kris

Old December 12th 06, 09:06 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Mr.E Solved!

kris.P wrote:
Hi,

I'm new to LCD displays and nice video cards... I've been using more
budget-oriented computers up to now. So I just got a 14" widescreen
Asus that runs in 1440x900 native. It looks fantastic, but things are
a bit small. I tried switching to other smaller resolutions to make
things bigger but everything looks blurry--really crappy, like old
CRT's. Why does this happen, and does anyone have a solution?

Thanks,
Kris

Me guesses you have now gleaned what the word 'native' truly means:
displays in non-native resolutions are up-scaled with interpretive data,
which is naturally less detailed and ugly.

The solution for this is like any other: throw money at it. Better
displays have better chips with better programs to produce a better
image with better scaling. Industries have spent Billions with a B
perfecting this very issue, which is far from perfect, as your eyes tell
you!

Old December 12th 06, 11:25 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Spack

kris.P wrote on 11 Dec 2006 21:25:46 -0800:

Hi,

I'm new to LCD displays and nice video cards... I've been using more
budget-oriented computers up to now. So I just got a 14" widescreen
Asus that runs in 1440x900 native. It looks fantastic, but things are
a bit small. I tried switching to other smaller resolutions to make
things bigger but everything looks blurry--really crappy, like old
CRT's. Why does this happen, and does anyone have a solution?

Things will look small on a 14" at that resolution. As "Mr.E Solved!"
pointed out, the screen is scaling at any other resolution and so it will
likely look blurry. If you get a bigger screen with a similar native res
it'll look bigger. How do you cope with 14"? I have a 19" non-WS monitor at
home (looking at getting a 19"+ WS LCD soon) and a 17" at work, and I really
loathe the work screen. I'd have no chance with a 14" :P

Dan

Old December 12th 06, 02:42 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Schrodinger's cat

"kris.P" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi,

I'm new to LCD displays and nice video cards... I've been using more
budget-oriented computers up to now. So I just got a 14" widescreen
Asus that runs in 1440x900 native. It looks fantastic, but things are
a bit small. I tried switching to other smaller resolutions to make
things bigger but everything looks blurry--really crappy, like old
CRT's. Why does this happen, and does anyone have a solution?

Thanks,
Kris

Kris,

You can adjust icon and font sizes quite easily to improve usability.

Right click on the desktop.
Properties.
Appearance tab. Adjust font size there.
Click in "Effects."
Select "Clear type" in the second option.
Make sure "Use large icons" is selected.

Might still be a bit small but will certainly be better.

HTH

Martin

Old December 12th 06, 03:57 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
kris.P

Thanks a lot Martin! That helped a lot.

-kris

"kris.P" wrote in ooglegroups.com...

Old December 13th 06, 12:42 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
DaveW

LCD monitors have one Native Resolution, which is the ONLY set resolution
that will produce an optimal image. If you use a different resolution
setting then the image will deteriorate. CRT's, by the way, due to their
design do not have this problem. They can use many different resolutions.
As expected, a 14" LCD wisescreen will have very small details such as
fonts. Almost no one these days uses a 14" LCD.

--
DaveW

----------------

Old December 15th 06, 09:13 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Bill's News

kris.P wrote:
Thanks a lot Martin! That helped a lot.

In your browser choose a larger or largest text size.

Also use Control Panel, Internet Options, Accessibility, ignore
font sizes and styles.

In Control Panel, Internet Options, Fonts chose a web page font
that is pleasing to you combined with the larger text size
selected above.

With these expanded font sizes some web pages will display
poorly because the designers are not savvy to the needs of the
handicapped (or under-powered displays). You'll get used to
quickly adapting these settings when needed, but MS could have
done a better job with profiling these things.

Old December 16th 06, 01:16 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Schrodinger's cat

"Bill's News" wrote in message
kris.P wrote:
Thanks a lot Martin! That helped a lot.

In your browser choose a larger or largest text size.

The easy way to do this (with the page already loaded in your browser) is to
hold down Ctrl and use the + and - buttons to make the text larger or
smaller respectively.

HTH

Martin

Old December 16th 06, 04:28 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Bill's News

Schrodinger's cat wrote:
"Bill's News" wrote in message
kris.P wrote:
Thanks a lot Martin! That helped a lot.

In your browser choose a larger or largest text size.

Thanks for the reminder. This is the ZOOM option (Ctrl +/-)
which expands/contracts the entire browser window content, or
tab, if using IE7. Each tab, or window, remembers its own zoom
level and the effect remains only until you close the tab or
window.

It is certainly an excellent method.

BTW, since not all my keyboards have num-pads, Ctrl= works in
lieu of Ctrl/Shift/+