GeForce4 Ti 4200 won't V-Sync

Old October 2nd 06, 11:49 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Aphelion

Default GeForce4 Ti 4200 won't V-Sync

I have V-Sync switched on in the Advanced Options, but for some reason my games won't V-sync anymore. For example, Serious Sam 1 defaults to "Custom" whenever I select Vertical Retrace-YES, which I've discovered means no V-sync. When I posted on the developer's forums I was told to check my card's BIOS. How does one do that? Also, I thought it was just that one game but I've tried others and they all have screen tearing. I've never had this problem before and I'm not sure what caused it. Any advice appreciated.

Thanks,
Aphelion
Old October 2nd 06, 11:53 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
DaveW

It sounds like that older video card may have failed.

--
DaveW

----------------

Old October 3rd 06, 12:42 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
First of One

DaveW: Absolute bull****.

Aphelion: A few nVidia driver releases contain a bug whereby vsync cannot be
enabled. So either upgrade or downgrade the drivers (always be sure to
uninstall the old ones first) and try again.

. ..

Old October 3rd 06, 12:52 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Lars-Erik Østerud

Aphelion wrote:

I haven't noticed any other failures in the graphics presentation. They're still as good as they've always been (for this card).

VSYNC is always a problem. Some driver versions have REAL trouble with
that. You can turn it on and it still doesn't work like it should.

I use a 3rd party program to "tweak" the card for games (PowerStrip).
Also use the 4523 drivers as I have found those to be most stable.
--
Lars-Erik - http://home.chello.no/~larse/ - ICQ 7297605
Old October 3rd 06, 12:54 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Aphelion

Aphelion: A few nVidia driver releases contain a bug whereby vsync cannot
be enabled. So either upgrade or downgrade the drivers (always be sure to
uninstall the old ones first) and try again.

I'll give that a shot, and thanks! But is there a list somewhere of which
drivers have this problem?

Aphelion

Old October 3rd 06, 01:38 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
First of One

Nope, no list. It probably happens only with certain cards in combination
with certain monitors on certain systems... The way vsync is handled in the
drivers changed a bit over the last few revisions, as SLI support is
extended to more and more games. Try the latest drivers first, 91.47. If
that doesn't work, downgrade to 91.33 beta, 84.21, 81.98, etc.

Instead of applying a global setting, you can also try setting up individual
profiles for each game (using Rivatuner or other utility). That way the
setting activates at run-time instead of getting pulled from the registry.

Old October 3rd 06, 02:03 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Aphelion

Nope, no list. It probably happens only with certain cards in combination
with certain monitors on certain systems...

Ah. I recently upgraded to a Samsung Syncmaster 204B. That "combination"
probably killed the V-sync or the quality thereof.

I'm now running 91.47 and the V-sync seems to be working. Either that or its
failure is less noticeable. I've even noticed some games look snazzier and
seem a little quicker (could be power of suggestion + my imagination).
Oddly, I can now select Direct 3D over Open GL without it resulting in
flickering graphics.

I'm just waiting to find that ONE GAME that doesn't like 91.47. : )

Thanks all,
Aphelion

Old October 3rd 06, 02:49 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Mr.E Solved!

Aphelion wrote:
I have V-Sync switched on in the Advanced Options, but for some reason
my games won't V-sync anymore. For example, Serious Sam 1 defaults to
"Custom" whenever I select Vertical Retrace-YES, which I've discovered
means no V-sync. When I posted on the developer's forums I was told to
check my card's BIOS. How does one do that? Also, I thought it was
just that one game but I've tried others and they all have screen
tearing. I've never had this problem before and I'm not sure what
caused it. Any advice appreciated.

Thanks,
Aphelion

In addition to the v-sync driver bug in various forceware suites, there
is an issue of the "nvidia display driver (helper) service" and how it
interfaces with OpenGL based games, such as Serious Sam. Which can run
in OpenGL (Default) or Direct3d (User Setting).

If this service is not running, many OpenGL profile based commands, of
which "application controlled v-sync", will not be passed properly and
undesired results will occur.

The solution is to make sure all of the nvidia installed services and
TSR's (terminate and stay resident) programs are allowed to function,
and that you check global, and game, profiles to ensure desired settings
are actually set properly. They tend to flip unexpectedly.