benchmarking in 64 bit windows

Old January 10th 07, 07:32 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Neil Catling

Default benchmarking in 64 bit windows

Hi all

I know this is a nVidia newsgroup but couldn't find a suited newsgroup, not
one that is active anyway.

I have recently built the following Pc.

Asus Crosshair motherboard
AM2 5200 x2 2.6Ghz Cpu
Corsair Pc6400 800Mhz Dominator 4-4-4-12 DDR2
XFX Geforce 8800 GTX
Tagan 580 watt Psu
64 Bit Windows XP

I built this Pc purely for gaming only and when I first built it I installed
32 Bit windows and ran 3dmark06, It scored just under 10'000, but then I
installed 64 bit windows as I want a 64 bit gaming Pc but can not seem to
find any good 64 bit benchmarking programs.

Can anyone advise me of a good program

Thank in advance

Old January 10th 07, 07:54 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Conor

In article , Neil
Catling says...
Hi all

I know this is a nVidia newsgroup but couldn't find a suited newsgroup, not
one that is active anyway.

I have recently built the following Pc.

Asus Crosshair motherboard
AM2 5200 x2 2.6Ghz Cpu
Corsair Pc6400 800Mhz Dominator 4-4-4-12 DDR2
XFX Geforce 8800 GTX
Tagan 580 watt Psu
64 Bit Windows XP

I built this Pc purely for gaming only and when I first built it I installed
32 Bit windows and ran 3dmark06, It scored just under 10'000, but then I
installed 64 bit windows as I want a 64 bit gaming Pc but can not seem to
find any good 64 bit benchmarking programs.

If you want a PC for gaming, you go 32 bit. 64 bit Windows is no good
for gaming. The drivers aren't as good and there's only a handful of
titles written specifically for it.

--
Conor

If you're not on somebody's **** list, you're not doing anything
worthwhile.
Old January 10th 07, 08:28 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Benjamin Gawert

* Neil Catling:

I know this is a nVidia newsgroup but couldn't find a suited newsgroup, not
one that is active anyway.

I have recently built the following Pc.

Asus Crosshair motherboard
AM2 5200 x2 2.6Ghz Cpu
Corsair Pc6400 800Mhz Dominator 4-4-4-12 DDR2

How much RAM do you have?

XFX Geforce 8800 GTX
Tagan 580 watt Psu
64 Bit Windows XP

I built this Pc purely for gaming only and when I first built it I installed
32 Bit windows and ran 3dmark06, It scored just under 10'000, but then I
installed 64 bit windows as I want a 64 bit gaming Pc but can not seem to
find any good 64 bit benchmarking programs.

Sure, since there are none. All common benchmark programs are 32bit
simply because almost all games are still 32bit.

If this is your gaming PC then choosing 64bit Windows was a really bad
choice. There are (and won't be in the near future) any 64bit-only
games, and the few games that also come with a 64bit client (i.e. HL2)
don't run better than as 32bit version. The 64bit gfx drivers are not as
good as the 32bit drivers, and for most hardware there aren't still any
64bit drivers available. Lots of programs don't even work in x64 Windows
(i.e. current iTunes versions).

If you don't have more than 4GB of RAM and native 64bit applications
that benefit from 64bit (games don't) then 32bit xp is still the way to
go for games...

I'm using Windowsxp Pro x64 since it came out over 1.5 years ago, but
only because I have native x64 applications, and because I need more
than 4GB of RAM (started with 16GB and now I'm on 32GB). If my
applications wouldn't require 64bit Windows I for sure wouldn't use it.

Benjamin
Old January 10th 07, 08:34 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
John E

Neil Catling wrote:
Hi all

I know this is a nVidia newsgroup but couldn't find a suited
newsgroup, not one that is active anyway.

I have recently built the following Pc.

Asus Crosshair motherboard
AM2 5200 x2 2.6Ghz Cpu
Corsair Pc6400 800Mhz Dominator 4-4-4-12 DDR2
XFX Geforce 8800 GTX
Tagan 580 watt Psu
64 Bit Windows XP

I built this Pc purely for gaming only and when I first built it I
installed 32 Bit windows and ran 3dmark06, It scored just under
10'000, but then I installed 64 bit windows as I want a 64 bit gaming
Pc but can not seem to find any good 64 bit benchmarking programs.

Can anyone advise me of a good program

Thank in advance

A benchmark which works (is in fact 64bit native) is performance test.

http://www.passmark.com/products/pt.htm

You can try before you buy. (Or just try)

I'm not a gamer, but I find it useful to identify bits of the system which
are bottlenecks.

Old January 10th 07, 08:38 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Neil Catling

"Benjamin Gawert" wrote in message
* Neil Catling:

[...]

Cheers for that I will probably go back to 32 bit windows.
Thanks Again

Old January 11th 07, 10:48 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Geoff

I'm using Windowsxp Pro x64 since it came out over 1.5 years ago, but
only because I have native x64 applications, and because I need more than
4GB of RAM (started with 16GB and now I'm on 32GB). If my applications
wouldn't require 64bit Windows I for sure wouldn't use it.

Benjamin

what the hell do you use 32gig of ram for
reminds me of my uncle
he had a mac classic with 128 meg ram for DTP stuff (at the time of amiga
500's with 512kb and such)

Old January 11th 07, 12:44 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Benjamin Gawert

* Geoff:

what the hell do you use 32gig of ram for

I need it for several simulation and calculation models. But 32GB is
already becoming tight ;-)

reminds me of my uncle
he had a mac classic with 128 meg ram for DTP stuff (at the time of amiga
500's with 512kb and such)

Are you sure with 128MB? The Mac Classic had 4MB on-board and could be
upgraded to 12MB (2x4MB)...

Benjamin
Old January 11th 07, 03:49 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Geoff

"Benjamin Gawert" wrote in message
* Geoff:

what the hell do you use 32gig of ram for

I need it for several simulation and calculation models. But 32GB is
already becoming tight ;-)

reminds me of my uncle
he had a mac classic with 128 meg ram for DTP stuff (at the time of amiga
500's with 512kb and such)

Are you sure with 128MB? The Mac Classic had 4MB on-board and could be
upgraded to 12MB (2x4MB)...

Benjamin

ya prob wrong, it was certainly one of those small mac, i don't think it was
the later ones with colour screen

at the time i was more interested in the colourful games on his amiga, it
beat my speccy up quite somewhat
i was still impressed with the sheer amount of ram he had in that mac though

Old January 11th 07, 04:33 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Benjamin Gawert

* Geoff:

ya prob wrong, it was certainly one of those small mac, i don't think it was
the later ones with colour screen

It could have been a SE/30, IIRC they were upgradeable to 128MB...

at the time i was more interested in the colourful games on his amiga, it
beat my speccy up quite somewhat
i was still impressed with the sheer amount of ram he had in that mac though

Yeah, even 12MB were utopic at that time...

Benjamin
Old January 18th 07, 02:27 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
McG.

"Conor" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

Yep. HL2 (Source), Far Cry, Quake4, Doom3, FEAR, Oblivion all have 64 bit
versions or modes. Thats just what I play. I'm sure there are others.
McG.